Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Name the top 10 Canucks trades of the last 10 years ( Discussion )


J.I.A.H.N

Recommended Posts

I don't think the Canucks have technically acquired Luongo within the last 10 years. Which is definitely Canucks last franchise changing trade.

 

Honestly, not many trades I would rate in a "top 10". Prospects for Ehrhoff - 3rd for Higgins - 3rd for Lapierre are all tied for 2nd. Best trade is the Kesler trade. Everything else in the last 2 years, is too early to tell.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

Markus Naslund for Alek Stojanov

 

32 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

Todd Bertuzzi,Bryan McCabe and Jarkko Ruutu for Trevor Linden.

Neither of those trades were in the past 10 years.

 

Easy candidates are:

The Luongo trade (the one where we acquired him).

The Higgins trade.  Seriously we gave up a 3rd for that guy, great deal.

The Ehrhoff trade.  We gave up practically nothing (well White was a 1st round pick... but yeah he sucked).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

 

Neither of those trades were in the past 10 years.

 

Easy candidates are:

The Luongo trade (the one where we acquired him).

The Higgins trade.  Seriously we gave up a 3rd for that guy, great deal.

The Ehrhoff trade.  We gave up practically nothing (well White was a 1st round pick... but yeah he sucked).

LOL oh yeah, was not reading the "in the last 10 years" part

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first Luongo trade was already over 10 years ago...crazy how time flies!

1. Rahimi & White for Ehrhoff & Lukowich
2. Evan Oberg & 3rd round pick for Chris Higgins
3. Bonino, Clendening & 2nd round pick for Sutter & 3rd round pick 

4. Kesler for 1st round pick, Sbisa, & Bonino
5. Jared McCann 2nd round pick & 4th round pick for Gudbranson & 5th round pick
6. Roberto Luongo & Steven Anthony for Shawn Matthias & Jacob Markstrom 

7. 2nd round pick for Sven Baertschi

8. Kevin Bieksa for 2nd round pick 

9. Jason Garrison, Jeff Costello, 7th round pick for 2nd round pick
10. 3rd round pick for Derek Dorsett

Interesting tidbit about the Luongo trade. We originally gave up Bertuzzi and a young goalie in Auld. Bertuzzi was then traded for Matthias. We then traded Luongo for Matthias and a young goaltender after getting close to a decade of awesome goaltending from Luongo. 

 

Value wise we might not have won the Luongo or Kesler trade. However, given the circumstances we did pretty well. Markstrom is a good young goalie and Matthias had a solid year for us. Given Luongo's borderline untradeable contract we did well. 

Kesler wanted out. If we didn't trade him he would have left as a free agent most likely. Given his age and the way he plays, Kesler's contract will be a disaster. Not great value in return, but Bonino was flipped into Sutter who is a solid foundational player and McCann for Gudbranson. Two pretty good pieces moving forward. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

The first Luongo trade was already over 10 years ago...crazy how time flies!

1. Rahimi & White for Ehrhoff & Lukowich
2. Evan Oberg & 3rd round pick for Chris Higgins
3. Bonino, Clendening & 2nd round pick for Sutter & 3rd round pick 

4. Kesler for 1st round pick, Sbisa, & Bonino
5. Jared McCann 2nd round pick & 4th round pick for Gudbranson & 5th round pick
6. Roberto Luongo & Steven Anthony for Shawn Matthias & Jacob Markstrom 

7. 2nd round pick for Sven Baertschi

8. Kevin Bieksa for 2nd round pick 

9. Jason Garrison, Jeff Costello, 7th round pick for 2nd round pick
10. 3rd round pick for Derek Dorsett

Interesting tidbit about the Luongo trade. We originally gave up Bertuzzi and a young goalie in Auld. Bertuzzi was then traded for Matthias. We then traded Luongo for Matthias and a young goaltender after getting close to a decade of awesome goaltending from Luongo. 

 

Value wise we might not have won the Luongo or Kesler trade. However, given the circumstances we did pretty well. Markstrom is a good young goalie and Matthias had a solid year for us. Given Luongo's borderline untradeable contract we did well. 

Kesler wanted out. If we didn't trade him he would have left as a free agent most likely. Given his age and the way he plays, Kesler's contract will be a disaster. Not great value in return, but Bonino was flipped into Sutter who is a solid foundational player and McCann for Gudbranson. Two pretty good pieces moving forward. 

Great post...solid rankings

I would probably say getting rid of Kesler was probably the best trade.....decent return and rid the Canucks of a extremely crappy team mate......you never know how many other wives he would have taken runs at. Not so good for team morale!

Addition by subtraction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

Great post...solid rankings

I would probably say getting rid of Kesler was probably the best trade.....decent return and rid the Canucks of a extremely crappie team mate......you never know how many other wives he would have taken runs at. Not so good for team morale!

Addition by subtraction.


True! I agree as well. That said, Kes is/was a very valuable player. At least the diversity of the trade enabled us to have three pieces to work with and in the big picture was a win. However, it would have been nice to get more for a player of Kesler's calibre. That said, turning those pieces into Sutter and Gudbranson was great - two foundational players who fit a very important transitional age group. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...