The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Surrey Creep Catchers Rant

Bunter Shinkorvat

15 hours ago, Bunter Shinkorvat said:

Thanks for participating in the discussion.

I am not disputing the fact what he did was illegal or immoral. Any responsible adult should know the legal consequences to meeting a minor without parental consent. The question I want to throw back to you is: Just because it is a person's decision to endanger themselves and others, bystanders shouldn't have any obligation to help? Not even the simple act of pulling up the phone to call for medical personnel?

What about due process? 

Do you have daughters? I do. I would rather it's me catching them but I am glad it's someone. How many lives has this guy ruined previously? You think this is his first time out to steal a child's innocence?

Not one ounce if remorse for anyone who &^@#s with children.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

They eposed the wrong name and ruined an innocent life.

You view is over simplistic, an example for you.   There is a drug house on your street, the tenants in that house have been selling drugs to kids. The neighbour hood watch  burns down the entire block, including your place.   End of discussion?

That's the same... Wtf?

1 hour ago, gurn said:

They eposed the wrong name and ruined an innocent life.

You view is over simplistic, an example for you.   There is a drug house on your street, the tenants in that house have been selling drugs to kids. The neighbour hood watch  burns down the entire block, including your place.   End of discussion?

Sounds to me like some of you here are defending the bad people.

8 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

Do you have daughters? I do. I would rather it's me catching them but I am glad it's someone. How many lives has this guy ruined previously? You think this is his first time out to steal a child's innocence?

Not one ounce if remorse for anyone who &^@#s with children.

No, I don't have and it doesn't change the fact how enraged I'd get if it were to happen to him or her. 

The problem is the tactics they employ to get these people. It's not very sophisticated as they go on the personals section on craigslist to get people. I've seen the logs they've put up before they stopped uploading them because YouTube would take their videos down. As taxi mentioned before it would mostly be in the platonic section. Realistically what 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 year old would you find posting an ad looking for companionship in a platonic section of a classifieds site?  The immediate likelihood of having your sons/daughter getting exploited by an adult is actually through someone you know. That's why you hear more about pedo priests, uncles, etc compared to random strangers on Craigslist. 

And to answer your last question, no, I don't know. That's why we have the police and courts to decide not vigilantes that can't comprehend their very own rights or the processes of the justice system. 

12 minutes ago, Bunter Shinkorvat said:

No, I don't have and it doesn't change the fact how enraged I'd get if it were to happen to him or her. 

The problem is the tactics they employ to get these people. It's not very sophisticated as they go on the personals section on craigslist to get people. I've seen the logs they've put up before they stopped uploading them because YouTube would take their videos down. As taxi mentioned before it would mostly be in the platonic section. Realistically what 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 year old would you find posting an ad looking for companionship in a platonic section of a classifieds site?  The immediate likelihood of having your sons/daughter getting exploited by an adult is actually through someone you know. That's why you hear more about pedo priests, uncles, etc compared to random strangers on Craigslist. 

And to answer your last question, no, I don't know. That's why we have the police and courts to decide not vigilantes that can't comprehend their very own rights or the processes of the justice system

I will take my chances with my own justice versus waiting on a questionable system if someone gets caught doing this to my daughter. We all make choices in life, that is one I will take into my own hands. 

I understand what you are saying but you can't honestly comprehend until you have sons or daughters or have been taken advantage of as a child (like my sister and I were). 

8 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

I will take my chances with my own justice versus waiting on a questionable system if someone gets caught doing this to my daughter. We all make choices in life, that is one I will take into my own hands. 

I understand what you are saying but you can't honestly comprehend until you have sons or daughters or have been taken advantage of as a child (like my sister and I were). 

my condolences man, I'm really sorry you had to go through that. 

2 minutes ago, Bunter Shinkorvat said:

my condolences man, I'm really sorry you had to go through that. 

Appreciate that. It's why we don't hire babysitter's I guess. I definitely have the extreme other side of this. However, when you hear about investigations being done poorly and resulting in scum being let go free it's impossible for me not to feel this way. 

Imagine if you or your child was taken advantage of by a wack job and the system &^@#ed up and let them go free. Or, they spend a few years on a golf course prison watching TV etc. 

Just now, gurn said:

Yeah it is the same, creep catcher want to do good but f it up, neighbourhood watch wants to do good but get carried away. Same deal.

Not the same. Children getting their innocence taken away is not the same as burning a neighbourhood down. Try again. 

If a pedofile wants to commit suicide because he got busted about to rape a child, please do. 

Save me the tax$$$ please.  

Id rather pay someone to dig a hole, than to pay for people like that to live in jail. 

Having said that, this vigilante stuff has bad news written all over it.  

Id be surprised if the set up/camera man doesn't get beat up or worse. 

58 minutes ago, Bunter Shinkorvat said:

And to answer your last question, no, I don't know. That's why we have the police and courts to decide not vigilantes that can't comprehend their very own rights or the processes of the justice system. 

You make an excellent point. In my work as a mental health professional I have heard countless stories of sexual abuse and its negative psychological impact. The stories I’ve heard relate to clients having been abused by uncles, step-fathers, neighbors and yes even fathers. This does not get any play. Instead Creep Catchers (CC) will have us believe that there are 14-year-old children everywhere being lured into parking lots by balding middle age men with beer bellies and no teeth. This happens all the time, I’m sure. In my 30 years of listening attentively to clients I have never heard this story - not once. Not to say that this never happens and children do need to be careful about being exploited online. This is a parents’ responsibility.         

Like little children playing with matches its only a matter of time before someone gets hurt. One person has already committed suicide and there will me more. Save for a former member who now condemns the group’s actions, Creep Catchers (CC) and their band of uneducated vigilantes are content with this crude, and often misguided approach. The big payoff for CC: attention and they so desperately crave and would otherwise not have access to.

If CC cared about children, they would work with the police to raise awareness – legitimately - and they would put their efforts into raising funds and resources for victims.     

13 minutes ago, Traumatic said:

If CC cared about children, they would work with the police to raise awareness – legitimately - and they would put their efforts into raising funds and resources for victims. 

It seems to me like they are just bullies who have found an outlet for their aggression. The public obviously has a lot of disdain for the people they target so they can get away with it without any backlash.

2 minutes ago, taxi said:

I don't think anyone in here is against catching actual pedophiles. The issue is that CC are purposely acting reckless in order to sensationalize stories for the purpose of more social media hits.

And they have named the wrong person as the perv.

• 4 weeks later...

Update - whatever you think of CC ...  this one will be charged.  A former principal no less !!

Former Mission elementary school principal charged with child luring after Creep Catchers sting

http://globalnews.ca/news/3089803/mission-elementary-school-principal-charged-with-child-luring-after-creep-catchers-sting/

A former Mission elementary school principal has been charged with child luring in Abbotsford.

Jason Alan Obert, 37, was charged Friday, a month after the Fraser Valley Creep Catchers group posted a sting video of their members confronting him at Sevenoaks Shopping Centre.

Abbotsford Police say officers met with a representative from the group on Oct. 24 and obtained a copy of their video and other evidence.

Obert, who was working as the school principal at the time he was caught by Creep Catchers, has been released under conditions that include that he refrain from communicating or interacting with any under 18 years of age except his children, and when in the company of an approved adult.

Archived