The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bauer Hockey going bankrupt

Mackcanuck

I'm sure that with technology today, pads, helmets and equipment, sticks, can be produced at an affordable level. And all the lightweight, kevlar, high performance gear can be for the ones that afford it. It took 16 years for Chara and a composite stick to beat Al Iafrate's 105.4 mph slap shot. Now was it the stick? Or Chara's massive frame? 

Have kids play, and afford to play. It's like any other sport like Tennis, Golf, etc. The wealthy are the ones that play and afford the high tech gear. You should be able to compete up until the junior level and not take out a second mortgage. Then the juniors/minors and college should pay your freight (After all they make money from tickets). Probably that's the reason it's hard to find a rec hockey goalie. Who has the money for equipment? 

That's why soccer and rugby, and basketball, has appeal. Lower cost of participation. Even in high school, Football was expensive, even with second hand gear. 

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Whoa whoa whoa wait a second

You mean, sales slumped?  Shares tanked?

Who ever would have thought that $250 sticks and $650 shoulder pads would mean that less people were buying gear ensuring the slow and steady decline of a once great company.

I am shocked.  Shocked I tell you

5 hours ago, logic said:

I would have been able to play hockey if the gear wasn't so stupidly expensive. 

Hard to convince your parents to shell out a grand or two every year just for gear... let alone travelling, registration, and icetime fees.

Hockey has evolved from being truly every Canadians game to catering to the elite of society, the wealthy, the "future NHLers"

There is a reason our decline in world Juniors/ first round draft domination.

You nailed it.  Our grass roots of hockey is rapidly declining in the down in the trenches hard working towns.  The toughness and grit that came with it is dwindling as a result.  

Seems they've priced the fun out of almost everything. That's why I chose to 'starve the beast'. Could see it starting to go this way back in the 80's.

& bankrupt? Yeah..like gov't & general society going morally-bankrupt.

Glad some of these are goin t*ts-up, when I hear the numbers they're charging.

6 hours ago, chon derry said:

back in the day bauer ,winnwell,doust, koho, profinn, canadien, northland, louiseville, sherwood, were all smaller players in the hockey equipment market  cooper and ccm were the big guys ,but some of those small companies put out some really good stuff. and then the big corporations moved in and swallowed up everything.  there has been vast improvements in the protective end of things as well as the weight and durability, i still have all my old gear which i stopped using around 84/85, i compared the weight of my stuff to a duffle bag of a young player i know ,i would say his stuff is 1/3 the weight , lol  but 100 times more than i paid for my stuff,   kids from  less fortunate families really have to rely on hand me down stuff .  the kid from the other side of town has it that much harder, and no thanks to the big corporate greed factor! 

I loved the old 5030 wooden sticks. You can actually still get these. With a bit of practice, you can learn to really fire the puck with accuracy and a lot of velocity. Now everyone seems to have a big shot with their $400 stick, sure they shoot hard but they still really don't know how to shoot and they especially can't hit the targets.

Their accountants must've f'd something up badly. This probably has more to do with them spending on buying out competitors like Cascade and Easton than their equipment sales struggling. I work at a sporting goods shop and Bauer dominates in hockey equipment, they're way ahead of the equipment game in terms of technology. I get tons of customers coming who only want to buy Bauer for hockey gear and I'd say at least 50% of our hockey sales come from Bauer alone. They sure do make some overpriced stuff that I don't agree with but they've also got a huge range and selection of gear so that the price of their top end gear isn't deterring customers away, tons of players are still buying their low-mid priced stuff.

Archived