The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Monday Oct 31st Practice Update

Ossi Vaananen

Small defense man. We have Larsen and Stecher both showing well at the NHL level. Stecher is home town boy and is better all round D man. Younger too!

Subban has 7 points in six games in Utica. He has an NHL shot and seems to get it on net. Four goals so far.

Play Larsen enough for other teams to see and hopefully trade. 

1 hour ago, Kakanucks said:

Tryamkin seriously likes about every instagram post he sees.

Seen him like Canucks posts, Utica posts, NHL posts, posts from rival teams, posts from the KHL, posts of hot girls, posts of animals

Maybe he is a bit psychotic?..

... and if that's something in his toolbox,  ... nothing wrong with a 250lb 6'7 Psychotic Russian D man on our team :) 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Good. Send that punk back to Russia - I gained a lot of respect for him just watching him at training camp and how he was interacting with his team mates... but I've lost all respect after he "liked" the caps post of beating us... not to mention rejecting the conditioning stint. 

It's too bad... maybe if we had some fellow russians on the team they could teach him some manners? 

Maybe in Russia "like" means "like I'm going to crush you"? 

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

No really, I'm not kidding:

Flash someone a well-meaning "thumbs up" sign in Russia, and they'll interpret it as a vulgar insult.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rude-hand-gestures-how-to-curse-in-every-langiage-2011-9

Oh... wow... hmmm, so I guess there is a small chance by "like", what he really meant was F off? 

Still though... I don't appreciate what he's done. 

Regardless, I hope he makes a starting roster sometime this road trip, crushes opponents and helps us win games.

Just now, apollo said:

Oh... wow... hmmm, so I guess there is a small chance by "like", what he really meant was F off? 

Regardless, I hope he makes a starting roster sometime this road trip, crushes opponents and helps us win games.

I think the Russians on those teams might interpret it as a friendly f-u. I've been to Moscow a couple of times on business and its a pretty crazy place - looks "Western" but it ain't. Just saying not to take it too far, this guy could be very good for us. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

I think the Russians on those teams might interpret it as a friendly f-u. I've been to Moscow a couple of times on business and its a pretty crazy place - looks "Western" but it ain't. Just saying not to take it too far, this guy could be very good for us. 

Hmmm fair enough... you've got me sold. Also apparently tomlinson just said on 1040 that his attitude has been good, working hard and not sulking. So maybe I did jump to conclusions.

Just now, apollo said:

Hmmm fair enough... you've got me sold. Also apparently tomlinson just said on 1040 that his attitude has been good, working hard and not sulking. So maybe I did jump to conclusions.

cultural things are weird. When I was over there I was at a museum and I asked someone what I thought was an innocent question, and managed to piss off the museum director and get asked to leave! still don't know what the hell i said. 

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

cultural things are weird. When I was over there I was at a museum and I asked someone what I thought was an innocent question, and managed to piss off the museum director and get asked to leave! still don't know what the hell i said. 

Don't mention the war!!!!!

5 hours ago, appleboy said:

Small defense man. We have Larsen and Stecher both showing well at the NHL level. Stecher is home town boy and is better all round D man. Younger too!

Subban has 7 points in six games in Utica. He has an NHL shot and seems to get it on net. Four goals so far.

Play Larsen enough for other teams to see and hopefully trade. 

Any team watching Larsen attempt to play defense isn't going to want that pylon in their uniform.  Waivers is the best solution here.

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

No really, I'm not kidding:

Flash someone a well-meaning "thumbs up" sign in Russia, and they'll interpret it as a vulgar insult.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rude-hand-gestures-how-to-curse-in-every-langiage-2011-9

This article is completely wrong - in Russia "thumb up" means excellent...

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

So based on todays practice it looks like the D pairs will stay the same with Sbisa-Larsen.

Stecher will sub in if Tanev isn't ready to go.

Seriously? Does Larsen have pictures of Desjardins with some moose in Climax? I can see giving Sbisa ice time with a defensive partner that actually is worth his job title, but Larsen is as useless as a shovel in a sandstorm.  

13 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

The Sedin's aren't going to win any sprints thats for sure. Ed Willes had a short article in the Province that talked about changing up the current style and playing the kids more, regardless of the consequences. He's right. I think the record and scoring to date shows that the model of trying to win 1 goal games in todays NHL isn't going to be possible for this team, its too fast and the Sedin's aren't going to be the machine they once were 5 on 5. They can still cycle the puck but though, its just not going to end up in net. 

I would love to see Baer-Bo-Jake set free in the offensive zone and play the Sedin's playing fewer minutes in a more defensive role and on the PP. Why not? The Torts year showed us that the Sedin's can play a solid defensive game and I think they'd be better playing 14-15 minutes per night, they aren't getting productive shifts anyway with more time and they'd be fresher on the power play. If we play a more aggressive style we'll get more of those too. 

But, its Willie's team and until he's gone i think this idea that we're going to win by 2-1 each night is going to dominate until the record is so bad no one can be in denial about it. 

I'd really like to know how things work internally.  Who actually makes some of these decisions?  Is it done by committee? (which I suspect)  If so, who is involved and how many people are involved.

The new defensive system for example.  Is this Willie's idea?  Who hired Doug Jarvis?  Because he was brought in to implement the system (and to replace Gully).  Now Willie should be in charge of the style of play.  Does Willie hire his assistants or is that up to Benning?

I think that we're really going to have to wait for some players to mature.

In the meantime, I think that they need to restructure the line up in order to be more effective.  For example, the Sedins need a RW with some pace and grit.  Hansen could be the best fit. Eriksson was a net front presence in Boston where he potted a lot of dirty goals.  Tips, screens and stuffing in garbage.  There was an Edler goal a while back which came around a perfect screen by Eriksson.

Each line should have a play maker, a goal scorer and some grit.

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Eriksson

Granlund Sutter Virtanen

I really don't see why Horvat has to be defense first.  He is able to drive offense when he gets the chance.  Why shouldn't Sutter be more defensive, he's not as good of a play maker.  I'm not sure I like Jake with Sutter but with Granlund as play maker it could work.  I think that Horvat could help Eriksson.

9 hours ago, apollo said:

Heard the same today on 1040. Great to hear he's been putting in the work and not whining. 

It's been perplexing to say the least what's been going on after that 4 game win streak. Systems talk aside it's also been simple things that look so hard for them to do. Staying onsides, delivering and receiving passes, remaining on their feet and so on. I'm hopeful they can shake it off but it's alarming that their best player the last couple games has been Stetcher. He does everything with confidence and I can watch his D to D passes on the blue line all day.

Could be worse. At least we have some picks and prospects at our disposal unlike how it was a couple years ago. Having said that I'd rather watch the ship sink than to see anyone get traded but it also makes sense how Tanev would probably be the one to go because of his value and abundance of D Men in our system. As long as Boeser, Demko, Juolevi are still here I can live with it. Would suck to see Tanev go as many fans have seen him literally grow right before our very eyes.

Could be worse. The Oilers and Leafs have been dealing with losing for the better part of the decade and had it not been divine intervention by the name of Connor McJesus and Saint Matthews they would probably be in the same boat as us.

Could be worse. At least we have Larsen and not Matt BartWOWski back there.

Could be worse. We're just barely into the season there's a lot of time to turn this around.

10 hours ago, apollo said:

You are really that serious about a guy pressing 'like' on a picture he saw on his phone? Kuznetsov is right in the middle of that wsh pic for ex. - if you really need reasons.. but in the end who cares? you think the coach would even care? I doubt it, so why should we

sorry but this is pretty much why I hate social media.. things are often misinterpreted and people overreact 

Archived