The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would you name the Las Vegas team if it were up to you?

2 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I've seen an idea surrounding the history of nuclear testing in Nevada. I think it would make for a pretty cool concept to build a team around. 

Las Vegas Nuclei...Atoms...Electrons...Radiation...Fallout...Strontium 90

Or Area 51 themes

Las Vegas Martians...Aliens...51'ers...Saucers...

20 hours ago, Green Building said:

Now I don't have much support for another team going to the desert, in fact, I find it completely ridiculous. That's just my opinion and I'm sure it's shared, but let's see if you can name ONE pro sports franchise that had a shot there.

Oh yeah, the XFL folding and the CFL's attempt at US expansion (in outlaw country 2000 km from the Canadian border) don't count because, come on. A Canadian version of what Americans already love and a failed league were destined for collapse.

The NHL will be a hot ticket for a couple years, maybe longer if they ice a decent team, but I fear for the longevity of hockey in Vegas.  

The Wranglers have been successful.  None of the major leagues has tried, so it's hard to chalk those up as failures.

7 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

The Wranglers have been successful.  None of the major leagues has tried, so it's hard to chalk those up as failures.

You mean the Wrangler's who folded because they couldn't find a new home? They had a good run. With regards to your second comment, well, that was the point I was attempting to get across in my post.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

You mean the Wrangler's who folded because they couldn't find a new home? They had a good run. With regards to your second comment, well, that was the point I was attempting to get across in my post.

Well, that's kinda unclear.  My bad though.  The Wranglers were very well supported, and there are only a handful of ECHL teams that don't bounce around.

I don't think that this franchise will do as badly as everyone thinks, not the Wranglers provide any proof of that, but the argument that no one has succeeded there is fairly disingenuous.  That may not be what you mean, but I've heard it a lot.

6 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Well, that's kinda unclear.  My bad though.  The Wranglers were very well supported, and there are only a handful of ECHL teams that don't bounce around.

I don't think that this franchise will do as badly as everyone thinks, not the Wranglers provide any proof of that, but the argument that no one has succeeded there is fairly disingenuous.  That may not be what you mean, but I've heard it a lot.

It's easy to find people, especially from Canada, on board the Vegas hate wagon because of all the Coyote drama in Arizona. 

On 03/11/2016 at 9:32 AM, Green Building said:

It's easy to find people, especially from Canada, on board the Vegas hate wagon because of all the Coyote drama in Arizona. 

canadian hockey fans sit on a ridiculously high horse about support for nhl teams considering the canucks, flames, oilers, jets, senators and nordiques have all had major struggles with that throughout their histories. 

1 hour ago, Realtor Rod said:

51s is already a Vegas baseball team

I had no idea, makes sense though as it has nice ring to it. Even a cursory internet search would have showed me that had I done it. Pretty sweet hat though.

23 hours ago, tas said:

canadian hockey fans sit on a ridiculously high horse about support for nhl teams considering the canucks, flames, oilers, jets, senators and nordiques have all had major struggles with that throughout their histories. 

It's true. The Canuck's specifically are on the finicky fan support bubble again right now. The fanbase is much larger and the brand is much stronger compared to the last empty seats run, but it's still interesting to speculate about how long will people support the team, or at what level they'll support them.

27 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I had no idea, makes sense though as it has nice ring to it. Even a cursory internet search would have showed me that had I done it. Pretty sweet hat though.

It's true. The Canuck's specifically are on the finicky fan support bubble again right now. The fanbase is much larger and the brand is much stronger compared to the last empty seats run, but it's still interesting to speculate about how long will people support the team, or at what level they'll support them.

I love watching games down there.  They used to be the Jays farm team and it was always something I did when in Vegas.  Now they are the Mets farm team,  still good talent, just not as good. 

Archived