The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Man in 20s Charged in Deadly Abbotsford School Attack

nucklehead

14 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Switzerland and Plano, Texas proves otherwise. 

Why did you bold 'generally' without reading it?

And I don't know what Plano is (and one city shouldn't matter), but surely Switzerland has a hugely different political and social climate than Canada/the US.

Particulars don't prove the general.

51 minutes ago, One one two said:

I doubt he has examples, but we're quite lenient: comparatively shorter terms than lots of other nations, have quite a strong emphasis on rehabilitation (with parole often granted for more serious crimes), psychotic individuals aren't locked in prisons when they deserve psychiatric care, due process in particular is considered important, and we're civilized enough not to cut people's heads off.

it's personal taste, I guess. the 'eye for an eye' crowd doesn't appreciate some/all of this to varying degrees and usually imo for bad reasons.

Thanks for the great explanation. I knew some of those things already but that sums it up perfectly.

Have to agree with all of those things as long as the rate of repeat offenders is not much higher due to it.

4 hours ago, The Weasel said:

And how do you think they feel having a brain that does something they don't have control over? IF he was in a psychotic state and has mental illness, i pity him. that is &^@#ing depressing knowing what he has done afterwards. I'm totally okay with my tax money going towards putting someone like him in a psychiatric facility for the rest of his life so he doesn't harm someone else vs. an eye for an eye. 

The thing that I see wrong with your comment is that total and pure disregard and ignoring of a murdered victim and their families.  You're basically saying so what to them and putting all the importance on helping the murderer.

I really can't believe your post.  Literally no care for a murdered 13 year old innocent girl.

3 hours ago, JV77 said:

The thing that I see wrong with your comment is that total and pure disregard and ignoring of a murdered victim and their families.  You're basically saying so what to them and putting all the importance on helping the murderer.

I really can't believe your post.  Literally no care for a murdered 13 year old innocent girl.

He said nothing of the sort?

11 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

Why suggest that this incident would have been worse with no logical proof?

I think it's logical to conclude that one can cause more carnage with a gun than they can with a knife.

8 hours ago, JV77 said:

I think it's possible to understand the challenges of living with a mental illness, while still caring about the victim at the same time.

I don't believe that not advocating "being shanked in prison", or "hung by the nuts", is the same a "not caring" about the murder of a young girl.

1 hour ago, JV77 said:

It tells a lot based on what he isn't saying...

I'm sure he's sympathetic to the families and victims.

Why do you think you know what they would want to happen to the man?

Why should they decide what happens to him if it turns out he was of unsound mind?

On 11/2/2016 at 6:28 PM, JV77 said:

Sometimes that is the only fair punishment in my books.  Do them what they did to someone else.

It's not fair for the victims that they get crapped on for other people's issues.  Mental illness or not, somebody needs to be held accountable.

Absolutely. But provided the victims with the support they need is far more helpful than advocating that the offender be killed in prison. 

Spending money to, for example, develop a scholarship fund in the name of the victim would seem a much better way of remembering the victim than to put someone in jail for the rest of their life in the hopes that prison justice will take care of them.

And to answer the inevitable question of 'why not do both', its because we live in a world where we have finite financial resources. Putting someone in jail, sending them to the electric chair, etc. all cost money. I'd rather see some of that money be used to actually help the victim, not placate the public's desire for retribution.

Also, I think a lot of people just like seeing offenders get physically punished and don't care as much about the victim/family as they say they do. 

14 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

Depends on the gun, depends on the knife. Depends on the person using said firearm or knife as well.  Many variables to consider.

You are not 'wrong', but in considering many of these variables, how many scenarios play out where a gun is less damaging than a knife. 

I think you care more about 'winning' the gun argument than actually being right.

On November 2, 2016 at 11:32 PM, One one two said:

I doubt he has examples, but we're quite lenient: comparatively shorter terms than lots of other nations, have quite a strong emphasis on rehabilitation (with parole often granted for more serious crimes), psychotic individuals aren't locked in prisons when they deserve psychiatric care, due process in particular is considered important, and we're civilized enough not to cut people's heads off.

it's personal taste, I guess. the 'eye for an eye' crowd doesn't appreciate some/all of this to varying degrees and usually imo for bad reasons.

Anyone who lives in Canada, and doubts that there examples about lenient sentences is mistaken.

As far as your emphasis on rehabilitation, there is a nice article that shows how well it works based of recidivism rates.

But like you said it's a personal taste, I believe that people should be held accountable for their actions.

http://www.primetimecrime.com/Recent/Courts/Sun Repeat offender.htm

Archived