The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Maybe This Is for the Best

Nex is my ex

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Owners need to allow the team to transition properly instead of telling JB to glue wings on a pig then hoping it would fly after throwing it off a cliff.

Personally I see it like this.

Ownership 90 percent win now mode only 10% care about future and establishing and developing the next core.

Linden 50/50 on rebuild and win now.

Benning  65 percent win now, 35 percent rebuild/don't sacrifice future for present and develop players.

Willie 100 percent win now mode. He doesn't care about developing players because if team doesn't win angry owners and fanbase equals less sales and viewership numbers down which equals Willie getting the boot as the scapegoat.

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I dunno, I got 5 on Tallon suckering Jim. Seems like a perfect time to make a terrible trade with Florida, right after we finally kinda won one, maybe... 

Well the Canucks only trade and sign players with stops in Florida, Calgary, or a guy with a connection to someone on their staff who can vouch for them.

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

This team needs a solid 2-3 years of development for its next core. During that time the only thing we should be contending for is a top 3 pick.

We don't even need to strip down. Just sit on your hands Jim. Stop making trades. 

The most frustrating thing about Jim Benning is how great he is at drafting yet he goes to the most pivotal draft in recent history with less picks then most of the playoff teams. Imagine what he would be able to do with multiple 1st, 2nds, and 3rds. He should never be fired only demoted into a scouting role. The guy makes the draft kiss his A$$. 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

We don't even need to strip down. Just sit on your hands Jim. Stop making trades. 

The most frustrating thing about Jim Benning is how great he is at drafting yet he goes to the most pivotal draft in recent history with less picks then most of the playoff teams. Imagine what he would be able to do with multiple 1st, 2nds, and 3rds. He should never be fired only demoted into a scouting role. The guy makes the draft kiss his A$$. 

People who want Benning fired are crazy. Sure his trades and signings haven't been the greatest always but he is easily the best scout the Canucks have had in their history.

When have the Canucks ever had a guy who has bonafide legit 1st line potential in Brock Boeser who was drafted in the bottom half of the 1st round.

He could turn out to be a huge steal if he becomes a good 1st liner.

Just now, LaBamba said:

He even admits he LOATHES trading picks. Some of those type of trades I understand though, we got youthful assets like Baer and Gudbranson with picks.

We can gradually tear down as young guys prove themselves capable of handling normal roles. An example would be moving Sbisa when Tryamkin is ready. They might need to wait till expansion draft but it can and should be done.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He even admits he LOATHES trading picks. Some of those type of trades I understand though, we got youthful assets like Baer and Gudbranson with picks.

We can gradually tear down as young guys prove themselves capable of handling normal roles. An example would be moving Sbisa when Tryamkin is ready. They might need to wait till expansion draft but it can and should be done.

Honestly even Baer and Gud, you can find those players in the draft, especially Jim. What is the hurry?

38 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Not true that my view relies "on every single one of our realistic prospects panning out perfectly, and in a timely manner". Sorry I tried to make that clear by saying "some of our", meaning one or two of those guys listed, and "all hypothetical". I just think that the OP is being over pessimistic because in 2 years you never know what sort of talent may emerge. A lot can happen in just one offseason

Yeah you are right. We'll probably win the Stanley Cup in 2-3 years.

11 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

People who want Benning fired are crazy. Sure his trades and signings haven't been the greatest always but he is easily the best scout the Canucks have had in their history.

When have the Canucks ever had a guy who has bonafide legit 1st line potential in Brock Boeser who was drafted in the bottom half of the 1st round.

Now imagine all the potential steals lost because he needed to fill this age gap immediately. One of them is in plain as day view in Forsling. I'm telling you he is like the Rain man of pro scouting. If ownership would have said, screw it, let's rebuild after the torts year and Jim unloaded the old core with the exception of the sedins. Imagine the young talent that weirdo woulda found with all those picks. 

12 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Honestly even Baer and Gud, you can find those players in the draft, especially Jim. What is the hurry?

The gap between our old core and new core was too lengthy though. We needed to fill it to some extent.

I mean Guddy is only a year older than Hutton with amp loads of experience. He can be a future leader and was a type of defenseman we needed. I liked this move a lot.

Baer has talent and has been generating a lot of his own chances. Considering he was a 1st that didn't fit in on a Hartley team and that we traded a 2nd it wasn't bad. It was a fair move

You can find players like this in the draft but in can take 4-6 years to get where Baer or Gud already.  We don't need that long of a rebuild anymore not that we got pieces like these two guys.

I don't feel that he will trade as many picks now that he has filled that gap considerably

This is not for the best unless the result is a new GM or owner.

Finishing near the bottom isn't going to turn things around.  You need to load up on draft picks/prospects to give yourself the best chance.  Vancouver has been trading their draft picks instead of trading for draft picks.   The players that were traded for to win now, aren't winning now.  The free agents who are signed to big contracts don't have much trade value. 

Now WD will probably pay the price.  But he's not the one that steered the ship in this direction. 

This team needs to tank for the sake of its future but that won't start until our stubborn management can accept it. Problem is that JB laid the plan out and seems determined to make this team a playoff team. It wouldn't look so good if he went back on his word now so we don't know how much longer he'll keep this "retool on the fly" act up. I get the feeling that as long as Benning is GM here, we aren't going to get the proper rebuild we need.

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

If he can find Boeser late in the first... imagine what he'd get 6th overall!!!  Oh wait, the great scout drafted Virtanen. 

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

If he can find Boeser late in the first... imagine what he'd get 6th overall!!!  Oh wait, the great scout drafted Virtanen. 

Oh wait, imagine if we had guys like Virtanen already in the system, then we could've probably added another soft, small skilled forward to the team. 

28 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

My mind says tank this year for Patrick but my heart says win now. We have a shot at a playoff spot at the very least. Once the Sedins, Eriksson, Baer starts clicking, we will start winning games. But it's a process. 

There's no point making the playoffs just to get bounced in the first round in 5 or 6 games.

I mean this as a legit question, if the team fails and Benning gets a 1st overall, is there any chance he takes Tommy L the defender over Nolan P the centre?  I suggest this as it would complete the defence for the next 10+ years and allows Benning to trade some older vets from the D for whatever he wants?

Conversely what happens if he gets the second overall and Nolan P is gone, will he search for the next best forward or take the best defender? 

Just some thoughts, although we are a very long way from the draft and there is plenty of games to be played.

Archived