The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Maybe This Is for the Best

Nex is my ex

Just now, J.R. said:

If they do fire WD, it's far more likely Jarvis is named interim head coach IMO.

Absolutely what a furry, cute, alien posted a while back.  

Last night our guys played very well though, so if they keep that up they will start winning again, and WD will hang on.  

Is Bo now our best forward?

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Never heard this before, age gap? Regardless filling this "age gap" has had great results so far. Can't wait to fill the next age gap that we are creating right now with our pathetic farm team and 5th round draft picks. 

Most of the guys Benning's drafted aren't elligible to play in Utica (Jr., college or Europe). You have a real problem with the concept of time.

I thought you said Benning was a drafting guru? 

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If they do fire WD, it's far more likely Jarvis is named interim head coach IMO.

Possibly, but i'd put my money on testing the possible coach of the future in Green.

AHL coaches have been promoted up to take over NHL duties before.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Most of the guys Benning's drafted aren't elligible to play in Utica (Jr., college or Europe). You have a real problem with the concept of time.

I thought you said Benning was a drafting guru? 

You're so grounded. 

2 minutes ago, goblix said:

Possibly, but i'd put my money on testing the possible coach of the future in Green.

AHL coaches have been promoted up to take over NHL duties before.

Cool, so I guess his job will be to teach the Sedins when to shoot and the rest of our forwards how to hit the net. Can't wait to shoot up the standings. 

12 minutes ago, goblix said:

Yeah, Toews has always been 50-70pts in his career. This seems very obtainable for Horvat.

Not trying to compare the two although Horvat easily has the toolset to be much like Toews. Character and all.

We just need these young guys to start showing results. Problem is while we're floundering for wins, Virtanen and co are starving for minutes behind the vets on this team... 

I'll give this team 10 more games, if we still have a losing record at that point I'd hope for Willy to be fired and Green moved up for the season so we can at least see if we want him for next year.

I see no point in moving Green up. The mandate will remain the same - win games. And he'll just be another rookie NHL coach trying to win games. Horvat gets minutes because he's performed and earned them. Virtanen will get more minutes when he finds some consistency and does the same.

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

I see no point in moving Green up. The mandate will remain the same - win games. And he'll just be another rookie NHL coach trying to win games. Horvat gets minutes because he's performed and earned them. Virtanen will get more minutes when he finds some consistency and does the same.

Hard to find consistency when your playing 7 minutes a game on different lines periodically.

I don't blame Willie in trying to win, I don't really blame him for playing Virtanen so scarcely because he is trying to win. I blame him for losing, yet I understand that this team isn't that great anyways.

Like I said willing to wait for the 20 game mark and make an assessment then.

Moving Green up, yes of course trying to win is always important and should always be the mandate. If you're not trying to win then you're simply not competitive and shouldn't be playing a professional sport. The point on having Green up here this season is so he would be able to work in his system and get familiarized with the players. Hell we saw Pittsburg fire their coach last year and hire their AHL coach Mike Sullivan mid season, guess what they won the stanley cup lol.

Obviously we're not a team like the Penguins but there can be clear benefits in changing the coach up.

Just now, goblix said:

Hard to find consistency when your playing 7 minutes a game on different lines periodically.

I don't blame Willie in trying to win, I don't really blame him for playing Virtanen so scarcely because he is trying to win. I blame him for losing, yet I understand that this team isn't that great anyways.

Like I said willing to wait for the 20 game mark and make an assessment then.

Moving Green up, yes of course trying to win is always important and should always be the mandate. If you're not trying to win then you're simply not competitive and shouldn't be playing a professional sport. The point on having Green up here this season is so he would be able to work in his system and get familiarized with the players. Hell we saw Pittsburg fire their coach last year and hire their AHL coach Mike Sullivan mid season, guess what they won the stanley cup lol.

Obviously we're not a team like the Penguins but there can be clear benefits in changing the coach up.

Ya, you definitely can't compare us to the Penguins.

I just don't see how changing to Green will change anything. Willie and Green are both known for developing young guys. No difference there. Both have had AHL success. No difference there. Willie has won chamionships and Green hasn't. Hmmm. I get that fans here think highly of him because he's in our system. But I don't see how he's a superior choice when Willie has considerably more NHL experience. I just don't see where the step up is in that move. If Willie does get fired, and I don't think he will be, I'd rather they give up on the rookie coach idea and bring in an experienced NHL guy.

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Absolutely what a furry, cute, alien posted a while back.  

Last night our guys played very well though, so if they keep that up they will start winning again, and WD will hang on.  

Is Bo now our best forward?

He could be if he used his wingers.

Yup, I think The next step for Bo, is to have his head up and on a swivel looking to make plays, when he's on his rushes.  He's so big, strong, and fast he pushes the d back.  I would love to see him stop up some times and pass into that space he created.  Our d would be open, if the came up too

10 minutes ago, Baggins said:

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup, I think The next step for Bo, is to have his head up and on a swivel looking to make plays, when he's on his rushes.  He's so big, strong, and fast he pushes the d back.  I would love to see him stop up some times and pass into that space he created.  Our d would be open, if the came up too

Part of that would be putting him with complimentary wingers too... (I don't like him with Baer).

11 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Ya, you definitely can't compare us to the Penguins.

I just don't see how changing to Green will change anything. Willie and Green are both known for developing young guys. No difference there. Both have had AHL success. No difference there. Willie has won chamionships and Green hasn't. Hmmm. I get that fans here think highly of him because he's in our system. But I don't see how he's a superior choice when Willie has considerably more NHL experience. I just don't see where the step up is in that move. If Willie does get fired, and I don't think he will be, I'd rather they give up on the rookie coach idea and bring in an experienced NHL guy.

I agree, Green hasn't proven anything and people are so high on him only on his character alone which is why it'd be interesting to see him in the NHL for this season so we can see it in action before we are forced to action with the question still arousing us for next season.

Next season we have a choice from other coaching options, like Crawford, Hitchcock, but at the very least we could have a glimpse of Green.

28 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Part of that would be putting him with complimentary wingers too... (I don't like him with Baer).

It has less to with his wingers and more to do with him trying to do it himself. Far too often. I call it Kesler syndrome. Look at the 2-0 loss to Edmonton. Empty net, 5 teammates on the ice, and he tries to go end to end. Coughs up the puck and it's in the empty net. There was a winger wide open on the right side, or a pass to Sutter on the left side. Chose to try and beat everybody up the middle. I like his effort and confidence, but he needs to use his wingers more often. He'll be a better player for it. It's why I've said a few time here, I bet Eriksson scores a goal before Bo gets an assist.

It has less to with his wingers and more to do with him trying to do it himself. Far too often. I call it Kesler syndrome. Look at the 2-0 loss to Edmonton. Empty net, 5 teammates on the ice, and he tries to go end to end. Coughs up the puck and it's in the empty net. There was a winger wide open on the right side, or a pass to Sutter on the left side. Chose to try and beat everybody up the middle. I like his effort and confidence, but he needs to use his wingers more often. He'll be a better player for it. It's why I've said a few time here, I bet Eriksson scores a goal before Bo gets an assist.

I'll agree with that. Both would do wonders!

21 hours ago, Nex is my ex said:

I know I'm going to get negative rep for this, and I'm fine with that. With that being said I was one of the people who was all aboard the win now bandwagon from the start of the off-season. I believed in the players, I thought for sure we'd make the playoffs. But one thing I've noticed this season is we are screwed when the Sedins retire. Horvat is great but is he really a 1C? Maybe getting a top 3 pick is what's best for the team moving forward. We're gonna need a 1C to even contend with up and coming teams in the future. Maybe it's for the best to finally get that young exciting player to make this team great again. I still want the team to win, but if we lose is it really a bad thing? a 1-2 punch of Nolan Patrick and Bo Horvat would be deadly and with young studs like Boeser, Juolevi, Stecher, Hutton, and Demko I think we can be a contender, but not if we don't get that #1 center. 

Thoughts? 

P.S this is only my 2nd post so sorry if I screwed something up

I applaud you for being smart enough to see what many have refused to,

You pretty much said what we need, there's no way around it

Everything we do from now on should be geared towards getting the best offensive centers we can, and we need to be willing to give up ANYTHING to get it

No PMD, No Power forwards, No 2-way all-rounders CENTER ICE OFFENSE  

Archived