The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who can come in and cleanup this franchise?

Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob is back! Let the thumbs down reign!

Things look bad now but I will still remain patient for a little bit longer into the season. Even if we do stink, this goal scoring drought is still unusual. We have just happened to hit ours at the beginning of the year here.

I don't really have issues with Benning..in fact,given the short amount of time he's been here,I like a lot of his moves....In fact,you could insert any management here right now,and the results would pretty much be the same,..especially when you factor in all the circumstances this franchise was in when the new management took over.

If that is true that ownership meddles,and we fired the current staff....wouldn't it just be a whole bunch of new faces,but with the exact same mandate?

Honestly i feel Benning has cleaned this organizations future up since taking over. What was he really left with?? One giant mess. Has he made mistakes? Yes!. But, for the first time in a while you can look at our future and say its not a complete joke. This team is definitely missing speed and more skill which we know will be addressed. 

2 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Honestly i feel Benning has cleaned this organizations future up since taking over. What was he really left with?? One giant mess. Has he made mistakes? Yes!. But, for the first time in a while you can look at our future and say its not a complete joke. This team is definitely missing speed and more skill which we know will be addressed. 

Yes we have more prospects, but what is our future outlook. Short term pain, long term pain. What used to be our future outlook before Benning. Short term moderate but underwhelming success, and long term pain. So while we might have more prospects, in context our situation is definitely worse. 

12 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I don't really have issues with Benning..in fact,given the short amount of time he's been here,I like a lot of his moves....In fact,you could insert any management here right now,and the results would pretty much be the same,..especially when you factor in all the circumstances this franchise was in when the new management took over.

If that is true that ownership meddles,and we fired the current staff....wouldn't it just be a whole bunch of new faces,but with the exact same mandate?

If ownership doesn't interfere:  Then no.  The results wouldn't look the same if someone came in when Benning was hired and instead cleaned house by trading everyone for draft picks and prospects.  We might have McDavid or Matthews on our team.  Who knows, dream big, maybe we'd have both. 

If ownership does interfere.  Then yeah, nobody could have prevented this disaster. 

16 minutes ago, KKnight said:

This guy

8363603.jpg

Not worth bringing him back to mess around with how Benning has shaped up the future of our Canucks. Not to mention he traded Luongo away. Torts didn't start Lu and that's what cost Torts and Gillis their jobs. Had Luongo still been here this team would be a playoff team every year

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Jim Benning.

The man knows how to draft hockey players. He has a great eye for talent. Unfortunately he is trying to repair something that isn't his. He needs to purge and start fresh. Build this team with his strength THE DRAFT. Stop pissing around with trading away 2nd round picks. Take you players and build a Benning team. Why waste your time trying to fix the Burkenonisgillis core that can no longer carry a team? 

Those 2nd's, if they beat the odds and make it at all, are 3 to 5 years away from playing in the NHL. This is why he needed to trade some for the interim. We needed some NHL ready talent. Nobody gets a hit with every draft pick. Some are better than others, but it doesn't mean every pick will pan out. That said, a guy with an eye for talent doesn't have that end with junior players. That eye for talent would also extend to AHL and NHL players. And again, it doesn't mean every one will pan out.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

Linden isn't getting fired.

Benning isn't getting fired.

WD is definitely getting fired.

Who would I want?

New owner.

GM: GMMG

Coach: Ralph Krueger

Hahahahahaha. The moneyball king that screwed the court? We had to buyout three of his deals. He's why we're in as big of a mess as we are. He should have been fired instead of AV.

There's no one who can just come, "clean up" this franchise, throw the garbage out and make everything dandy again.

Our window has passed and we have to rebuild. That's the bottom line. I feel like the quicker people realize and accept this, the better these next few grim years will be.

I, for one, want to see where Benning can take us. I really don't want to see him fired because we haven't fully been able to see the outcome of his area of expertise. We've seen glimpses with Hutton, Tyramkin, and Virtanen, but I think we have other surprises on the horizon. I think if we fire a GM now, that'll put us into complete turmoil. Let him continue to work and see what happens. I don't mind if Willie gets fired so much, I'd like a coach that begins giving more ice time to younger guys to make our transition in the future easier when the Sedin's are gone. No one's scoring, why not give the kids a chance to play. 

9 minutes ago, shattenkirk8 said:

I, for one, want to see where Benning can take us. I really don't want to see him fired because we haven't fully been able to see the outcome of his area of expertise. We've seen glimpses with Hutton, Tyramkin, and Virtanen, but I think we have other surprises on the horizon. I think if we fire a GM now, that'll put us into complete turmoil. Let him continue to work and see what happens. I don't mind if Willie gets fired so much, I'd like a coach that begins giving more ice time to younger guys to make our transition in the future easier when the Sedin's are gone. No one's scoring, why not give the kids a chance to play. 

A bad coach can be the worst thing to happen to any player. And Willie D, even though showing improvement in some aspects, is still a bad coach. 

Archived