The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who can come in and cleanup this franchise?

Lui's Knob

8 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Not worth bringing him back to mess around with how Benning has shaped up the future of our Canucks. Not to mention he traded Luongo away. Torts didn't start Lu and that's what cost Torts and Gillis their jobs. Had Luongo still been here this team would be a playoff team every year

i was joking. No way in hell id want Gillis back. 

10 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Jim Benning.

The man knows how to draft hockey players. He has a great eye for talent. Unfortunately he is trying to repair something that isn't his. He needs to purge and start fresh. Build this team with his strength THE DRAFT. Stop pissing around with trading away 2nd round picks. Take you players and build a Benning team. Why waste your time trying to fix the Burkenonisgillis core that can no longer carry a team? 

I respectfully disagree...Aside from the obvious high round choices like Demko, boesser...(though choosing O L over Tkacuck was a horrible call...quote me on it)

his late round picks are head scratchers.....Name one that has or will make a significant impact in the NHL.  He's a terrible scout.

11 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

It's a mess. We lack scoring and all summer we don't attempt to sign anybody with skill. No we bring in Ruutu, Sheppard and Skille and even sign Skille. 

JB at least is average at drafting but is abysmal at team evaluation (how many times has he said this is a playoff team?) and trades. I almost shudder what trade he will do to benefit the next GM.

linden was a great captain in the day but how his days have got to be numbered how this team and interest level is being driven to the ground. Empty seats, dwindling fan interest. 

Who can come in and rebuild this franchise? Dare I say Gillis as president and someone else as GM/Coach? Or Tallon? Someone new who is smart and savvy and understands how to rebuild (ex sell off aging vets at the deadline?). Is there anyone who can make a proper rebuild blueprint and stick to it? none of this make the playoffs when reality says the team even when healthy may not even hit 65 points at this pace 

The right people to "clean this up" are already hired. 

You ou just don't have the patience for it.

Its on you friend. On you.

So are you willing to eat 1/2 the Sedin's salary to trade them, and would they agree to move? What would you get in return? Maybe a 1st and a 2nd, given their current performance? That's a lot of money you are asking ownership to eat. On top of it, this is how loyal the team is, dump guys like that? 

Go to Cap Friendly, there isn't many team that have cap space. Pretty much little if anything is going to provide help this season. 

We just have to ride it out, Willie is probably on his way out. I also haven't seen any confirmed statement from ownership that the team "wins now."

Maybe with a new coach, and some new systems, we can still compete. It's just unlikely that we'll make the playoffs. 

I'm actually surprised. I'd figure the pro-tank faction would be dancing in the streets with our losing streak. 

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

I hear your point. This being said, Garth Snow has been in charge of the Islanders since '09, and Tallon was around for the start of the Hawks' upswing (Toews, Kane), and is doing fairly well in Florida.

regards,  G.

If there's anyone to be had it would be Tallon.

The owner must be a little concerned . I believe there was pressure on ownership to change the culture of the team. This all started after the 2011 cup loss . It had been thrown out there that Canucks should be a less controversial team, or more skilled and less gritty. That would calm the fans down and be better for the town. Remember Canucks had some disputable issues in close games. They were gritty and entertaining but a conspiracy theory was born. Somehow the league did not want Vancouver to win a cup. So there are some reasons why the team they have now is a mess. There are still survivors of the gritty years on the team and know what is needed but the group they have now will never be able to win a cup as it is. It is possible they need a complete redirection.

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We need our owners to allow a rebuild. Not a new GM.

A new GM would probably focus on 'winning now' to an even greater extent because it is clear that's what the owners want and JB hasn't been fairing well building a win now group.

And if there is a true rebuild, the team performance for many years will be much worse than it is now. What do you think the fans will do? Have more interest? Try, 6 to 8,000 crowds. The impact on the value of the franchise would be davastating for Aquilini now that he has used all the real estate assets that came with the Canucks (see the new towers at the arena). Not going to happen.

2 hours ago, Ronning4center said:

I think you said it.  If JB feels this is a playoff team...and the team is failing... doesn't that point to coaching? 

Look at pitsburg....they were a 500 team, changed coaches and won the Stanley cup.  Coaching has a MASSIVE

impact on the game....I honestly don't believe Willie's decisions are getting the most out of this lineup....

So, who can shake things up?  Pick a successful seasoned NHL coach.....maybe one who has won a cup?  ooorrr has some

history with current players?  Hmmmmmm

Ya, we don't have Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kessel, Hornqvist, Kunitz, etc. It worked for LA as well. A coaching change won't have a similar effect here. How many coaches has Edmonton gone through in the last decade? How about Toronto, Columbus, Arizona, Florida and Winnipeg/Atlanta? A coaching change can make a big difference when you have talent depth, not so much effect with a weaker rebuilding team.

10 hours ago, Hectic said:

Why does everyone always blame the owners?? Where is the evidence that the owners are the problem??

Because the Owners are all about JUST making the playoffs and not doing a full rebuild. That's why we signed Loui E to a 6yr deal to make Owners happy.

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

If there's anyone to be had it would be Tallon.

26 minutes ago, nickels said:

Didn't read all posts...sorry if been mentioned.

I'd target Dale Tallon.

Considering how he has been pushed aside/up (again with a second team) then he may well see Vancouver as a nice place to be. This also supposes that Benning is no longer in the picture, something which I do not see happening any time soon.

regards,  G.

12 hours ago, Gudbransons_Elbow said:

We signed one of the best free agents on the market. Unfortunately that may not be enough, would've liked to have Brouwer also.

I think he makes great trades. The Kassian trade and Vey trade were the only bad ones. I didn't like the Granlund trade either but he's looked good this year

JB isn't the problem, it's likely the owners are. 

He maybe had the opportunity to make a REAL game-changing trade with MTL this past offseason, but, apparently balked when Chris Tanev's name came up. So, the guy he had his eye on ended up in Nashville. Because he wouldn't part with Chris Tanev. Think about that. 

Archived