The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who can come in and cleanup this franchise?

Lui's Knob

13 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

It's a mess. We lack scoring and all summer we don't attempt to sign anybody with skill. No we bring in Ruutu, Sheppard and Skille and even sign Skille

The irony. But really, Eriksson doesn't count? Even Larsen (and Stecher) are missing from your 'list'. Not to mention we have young players with skill coming into the team and developing.

But sure, blame the PTOs we had this year for how we're doing... :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

Until the Sedin's retire no one can. We have 14M of payroll tied up in 2nd line players. This is very unique.

There is no other team in the league with our predicament because they're a package that have NMC's and couldn't be taking on by any team.

Toronto had Sundin or Phaneuf,  Calgary - Iginla ... single players that someone could take on in a trade.

The rest of the league knows this making us a difficult team to sign players for decent dollars.

The best thing JB/WD can do is play our young talent decent minutes on PP1 , PK1 now, Put players like Bo, Granny, Baer, Gaunce, Hutton, Tram, Stecher in pressured responsible positions with some vet presence. If they can't handle the pressure sit them for a game or 2 and bring them back in again until they get it. 

At least if we lose, we have a long term plan in mind.

for the vets, break them up and spread the experience. Tanev- Tram.... Edler - Stecher. separating the Sedin's on different lines and keeping them separated would be great experience for the youngins..  Daniel- horvat- hansen..... Baer- Hendrik - Sutter.... Eriksson- granny - burrows.... or something like that.

One thing we should not have done as an organization is market Virtanen like we have. You don't market an unproven product. All that does is feed an ego, add more pressure on a player that has simply not matured enough yet, especially in a Canadian market.

I have been on the fence for years regarding the Twins but the problem always points back to them. Since 2011, we have made countless excuses for them but they remain the constant throughout all of this(players and coaches have come and gone). Our Offense dried up and we were shutout twice and were outscored 23-8 in the 7 games in the SC finals. Since then our problems are always focused around leadership and scoring. Who is our leading scorers and who are the leaders?

Like Nuck-lifer said, they are paid 14M and are really our second line players. They came as a pair and really they will probably leave as a pair. The problem is that who can manage an extra 14M to their payroll?

They really need to be split up or at the very least taken off the first line. No disrespect to them, but it should be done in the best interest of the team and I think its time.

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

Ya, we don't have Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kessel, Hornqvist, Kunitz, etc. It worked for LA as well. A coaching change won't have a similar effect here. How many coaches has Edmonton gone through in the last decade? How about Toronto, Columbus, Arizona, Florida and Winnipeg/Atlanta? A coaching change can make a big difference when you have talent depth, not so much effect with a weaker rebuilding team.

That's my point...Pitts had all those players and played terrible....the coaching change made them better....

And we DO have Daniel and henrik sedin, louie erikson....with similar point totals as the formetioned players last year. 

Also when Todd mcclelan came in he's reshaped the way these boys play....lots of talent...wrong coach.

Point being....Don't tell me changing coaches doesn't make a difference.  It ALWAYS makes a difference...with our group?  Maybe and extra handful of wins...Maybe

better deployment and development of our young players?  Either way....the current formula is a bust...

Jim Benning.

Mr. Benning has done a decent job so far, not everything has worked out for him but he has changed the make up of the supporting cast quite a bit. I tend to agree with their goal of the playoffs, you want you younger (not necessarily rookies) to experience the challenge of the playoff race, maybe you make it into the playoffs maybe you don't... But playing game in game out in pure utter hopeless ness like the Oilers cannot be good for your prospects, sure they are doing well now but they had to gut their own rebuild a couple times to get it right... drafting McDavid didn't hurt either...

3 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

And, ownership "won't allow it" probably because they don't think the fan base will "allow it". So, hello Status Quo. 

Do you really believe that "owner' bs? Do you actually think a guy like Benning would stay here and put his reputation on the line while an owner called the shots or made the decisions? Ludicrous!

5 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

He maybe had the opportunity to make a REAL game-changing trade with MTL this past offseason, but, apparently balked when Chris Tanev's name came up. So, the guy he had his eye on ended up in Nashville. Because he wouldn't part with Chris Tanev. Think about that. 

Tanev is not a Weber, we would have been outbid regardless

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

Do you really believe that "owner' bs? Do you actually think a guy like Benning would stay here and put his reputation on the line while an owner called the shots or made the decisions? Ludicrous!

Well, there is a difference between the owner making all of the decisions and an employee doing what his boss wants, no? Is Acquilini being consulted on every trade, draft selection, who  is on the team and so on? I don't believe so, but others may choose to believe this.

On the other hand, (way back when he was first hired) was Benning told by ownership/upper management that he would be expected to re-build/re-tool the team without a complete tear down? I believe the answer to this is probably a yes.

So, can you point to a single GM who doesn't respond to, or work under the directives of his superiors? I'm not sure that there are any to be found.

regards,  G.

5 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

He maybe had the opportunity to make a REAL game-changing trade with MTL this past offseason, but, apparently balked when Chris Tanev's name came up. So, the guy he had his eye on ended up in Nashville. Because he wouldn't part with Chris Tanev. Think about that. 

11 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

True enough Silky.

In response to Fake's point, I believe it was that Benning wouldn't part with Tanev  AND the other assets which would be needed to close the deal.  Think about that.

regards,  G.

19 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

It's a mess. We lack scoring and all summer we don't attempt to sign anybody with skill. No we bring in Ruutu, Sheppard and Skille and even sign Skille. 

JB at least is average at drafting but is abysmal at team evaluation (how many times has he said this is a playoff team?) and trades. I almost shudder what trade he will do to benefit the next GM.

linden was a great captain in the day but how his days have got to be numbered how this team and interest level is being driven to the ground. Empty seats, dwindling fan interest. 

Who can come in and rebuild this franchise? Dare I say Gillis as president and someone else as GM/Coach? Or Tallon? Someone new who is smart and savvy and understands how to rebuild (ex sell off aging vets at the deadline?). Is there anyone who can make a proper rebuild blueprint and stick to it? none of this make the playoffs when reality says the team even when healthy may not even hit 65 points at this pace 

There is NO fast fix in the NHL in a cap world, you can't make trades freely like you used to.

We had no prospects JB took over and he's done a pretty good job of rebuilding that pool, but its a work in progress.

Gets tiring listening to all the people taking potshots at them because it can't be fixed fast enough.

Tallon is a good point, he has been GM of Florida for a long time before he finally had enough talent assembled that the team started challenging and winning.

You can bring in whoever you want, the results will be the same. There is a process to building a team, we're in the middle of that.

2 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

How much of a "reputation" and sway over ownership could he possibly have yet as a first-time GM?

52 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

True enough Silky.

In response to Fake's point, I believe it was that Benning wouldn't part with Tanev  AND the other assets which would be needed to close the deal.  Think about that.

regards,  G.

This. If they'd only been asking for Tanev a deal would have been done. But since Tanev is not Weber it was going to cost us much more. Of course, Montreal got the size and snarl they wanted with Weber anyway, so it's not like Tanev was their first choice regardless.

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

No argument there that Tanev's no Weber. In fact, I think far too many CDC'rs have had the guy rated a bit too highly the last couple years. That said, we'll never fully know what the actual asking price for Subban would've been of Benning if he reportedly shut down any conversation before it had any real chance of starting. Moot point now. 

Ideally someone ahead of the curve. Likely it will be someone in the middle of the curve which is still better than Benning who is behind the curve. I guess it turns out being physically "tough to play against" doesn't help you win hockey games. Benning can't seem to understand that the NHL is turning into a speed and skill league. He's still trying to build a team for the dead puck era. 

Personally I would take anyone who is willing to listen to others and take into consideration other points of view and not be locked into a stubborn, outdated, philosophy like Benning.

3 hours ago, Bure2Win said:

I don't know who can come in now but i do know i can't take much more of this crap?  :picard:

A lot of you 'fans' would have never made it through the 70s or 80s - or even the late 90s - if these last couple seasons have got you ready to quit the team after 12 or 13 years of winning.

6 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

A lot of you 'fans' would have never made it through the 70s or 80s - or even the late 90s - if these last couple seasons have got you ready to quit the team after 12 or 13 years of winning.

Imagine if we tore it up like Toronto or Edmonton and had 10 bottom dwelling seasons in a row?  There'd be no one left at the games and we'd be called the Memphis Canucks. But that's what some posters want, to trade every asset and start from scratch. 

Archived