The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Starting from the net going forward - looks promising!

BlackRedYellow

Hey guys...

I know we're just awful right now, but please sit tight. (Someone has to look at the bright spots!)

What JB has done since he arrived is two things: 

1) Trying to build a team for the future

2) trying to stay competitive while doing no 1

No 2 has obviously (so far) not worked that good. He's made some chances that has failed. So yes, his rating is probably a "D" for this attempt.

However, he has built us up from the net and upwards during his first two years. Right now we have both good goalies (right) now and in the system. We also have good defence now and in the system. We are ranked at worst no 9 in the NHL when it comes to any defensive stats  and we're not losing the games due to our goalies or defence men! And we have really good players in these categories in our system as well. 

What we lack is offence... and here's where JB has failed, so far, when it comes to adding scoring right now. But if you look at our system and the age in our group right now, he has come a long way if you compare with the group of players he had before his arrival. We are way younger, we have a Boeser who's on fire, a Rodin who might surprise us when healthy, and we can spend all our future no1 draft picks on offence for the next three years. We can also spend the cap money from the Sedins after their contract is gone (on FA's). There's also the opportunity to trade for offence with some of our defence since that pool is pretty good.

So, yeah, the plan for being competitive right now may not have been working that well. (Things could still change though.) But as I see it, it's not the end of the world. We could be back on track already the next season! The grade for no 1, is probably a "B" or "-A".

Go Canucks Go!

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

From the net out looks better after we draft Timothy Liljegren in June

Im on the same train of thought on this one. I think he will solidify a solid defensive core and is the best defensive prospect in the draft and just may be the best overall. We all know how long it takes for defencemen to reach their peak, so keeping that in mind if the Canucks choose him this year ( if available when they draft). Then draft forwards from next year on, they quite possibly could all peak at the same time, which will be fun to watch.....as opposed to what's currently being dished up

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

From the net out looks better after we draft Timothy Liljegren in June

Then trade Chris Tanev for Gabe Landeskog and boom we have the next generation of the Swedish Mafia with the SHL MVP Anton Rodin being the real deal too! #TreKronor #SedinApproved #SundinWasGoodForUsToo

In all seriousness though, imagine our defense afterwards...

Juolevi - Liljegren

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Stecher

So much mobility, four puck movers, and two physical beasts to play that meat and potatoes game... I actually wouldn't be surprised if this would end up being a serious option for Benning and Co.

29 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Then trade Chris Tanev for Gabe Landeskog and boom we have the next generation of the Swedish Mafia with the SHL MVP Anton Rodin being the real deal too! #TreKronor #SedinApproved #SundinWasGoodForUsToo

In all seriousness though, imagine our defense afterwards...

Juolevi - Liljegren

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Stecher

So much mobility, four puck movers, and two physical beasts to play that meat and potatoes game... I actually wouldn't be surprised if this would end up being a serious option for Benning and Co.

Looks pretty solid in a couple of years B) Hopefully in front of a fully developed Demko ::D

Just need to add some scoring up front as well :huh:

7 hours ago, BlackRedYellow said:

Hey guys...

I know we're just awful right now, but please sit tight. (Someone has to look at the bright spots!)

No 2 has obviously (so far) not worked that good. He's made some chances that has failed. So yes, his rating is probably a "D" for this attempt.

However, he has built us up from the net and upwards during his first two years. Right now we have both good goalies (right) now and in the system. We also have good defence now and in the system. We are ranked at worst no 9 in the NHL when it comes to any defensive stats  and we're not losing the games due to our goalies or defence men! And we have really good players in these categories in our system as well. 

What we lack is offence... and here's where JB has failed, so far, when it comes to adding scoring right now. But if you look at our system and the age in our group right now, he has come a long way if you compare with the group of players he had before his arrival. We are way younger, we have a Boeser who's on fire, a Rodin who might surprise us when healthy, and we can spend all our future no1 draft picks on offence for the next three years. We can also spend the cap money from the Sedins after their contract is gone (on FA's). There's also the opportunity to trade for offence with some of our defence since that pool is pretty good.

So, yeah, the plan for being competitive right now may not have been working that well. (Things could still change though.) But as I see it, it's not the end of the world. We could be back on track already the next season! The grade for no 1, is probably a "B" or "-A".

Go Canucks Go!

You will not be very successful building for the future when you sign a 31 year old UFA for 36 million dollars and have his cap hit for 6 years. 

Thats not building for the future.

18 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

You will not be very successful building for the future when you sign a 31 year old UFA for 36 million dollars and have his cap hit for 6 years. 

You can't just have a team full of young players, it's not sustainable as eventually the salary cap dismantled it all.  Young players expect veteran $ earlier and earlier, and teams like the oilers and leafs will have to break it up after 4-5 years.  You have to have older players on expiring contracts too.

The Eriksson signing looks terrible at the moment.  Hard to pin down exactly why he hasn't settled in yet hopefully he will soon.  This team needs a spark to get going something he is capable of.  Offense is no where to be seen right now for the team as a whole which certainly must or should weigh heavy on him.  Time to get it going as the honeymoon is fast ending.  WD should be innovative with the offensive pieces he already has to jump start the club.  However trades/signings need to be done to generate some goals as clearly what they have now is not good enough.  It will mean giving up some talent to get something favourable in return.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

You can't just have a team full of young players, it's not sustainable as eventually the salary cap dismantled it all.  Young players expect veteran $ earlier and earlier, and teams like the oilers and leafs will have to break it up after 4-5 years.  You have to have older players on expiring contracts too.

This is something that many Canuck fans overlook. 

If/when Eriksson starts scoring like we know he can, the posts are completely different.  Baer starts scoring as well. 

Even the most committed 'tanker' doesn't want to watch loss after loss for an entire season.

3 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

That's your five cents? Problems with one signing!? So you want to go with 12 forwards sub 20 yrs old? Nah... It doesn't hurt to have Loui and Sutter to help the young guns going forward when the Sedins has retired.

Besides, that's only one player. If the future is screwed solely based on one signing, then my name is Donald Trump :P

We aren't rebuilding. What we are doing is no different than the Washington Capitals, Tampa Lightning or any other Stanley Cup contender. 

Cash in futures for young players that help you now.

Draft well in later rounds. 

Be active on July 1st. 

Buy at Trade Deadline. 

I dont care what the the excuses are you can't argue the facts. 

Everyone is all happy about how much youth we have and how bright the future looks compared to 5 years ago. What team doesn't  have more young players in their system compared to 5 years ago? It's the way business is done in the NHL. In today's game 30 is the old 40. Youth is taking over. I wish people would stop acting like Benning is doing something revolutionary. 

9 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

We aren't rebuilding. What we are doing is no different than the Washington Capitals, Tampa Lightning or any other Stanley Cup contender. 

Be active on July 1st. 

Buy at Trade Deadline. 

Everyone is all happy about how much youth we have and how bright the future looks compared to 5 years ago. What team doesn't  have more young players in their system compared to 5 years ago? It's the way business is done in the NHL. In today's game 30 is the old 40. Youth is taking over. I wish people would stop acting like Benning is doing something revolutionary. 

Couldn't agree anymore. Well said!

No, the two things that Benning has done since arriving are:

1.  Systematically remove anyone from the team who could score.

2.  Replace them with players who can't score to save their lives.

He seemed to think he could build a much more solid defensive team - and then just pick up some scoring to round it out.  He's been finding out for the last year or so that it's nearly impossible to pick up decent goal-scoring without paying through the teeth in this league.  Teams hold onto their goal-scorers like they're going out of style.

The interesting thing...  This is the exact same plan Dave Nonis implemented when he took over the Canucks.  How did it work out for us that time? 

8 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

No, the two things that Benning has done since arriving are:

1.  Systematically remove anyone from the team who could score.

2.  Replace them with players who can't score to save their lives.

He seemed to think he could build a much more solid defensive team - and then just pick up some scoring to round it out.  He's been finding out for the last year or so that it's nearly impossible to pick up decent goal-scoring without paying through the teeth in this league.  Teams hold onto their goal-scorers like they're going out of style.

The interesting thing...  This is the exact same plan Dave Nonis implemented when he took over the Canucks.  How did it work out for us that time? 

At least Nonis had a plan. 

Our plan is to have no plan. Chase the league and make moves while lying on the floor covered in poop. 

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Good point! The ceiling is being lowered. Imo, this just mirrors the changes in society. We live in increasingly impatient society. Fans don't want to wait years to see star prospects languish in the minors. They want to see them now. 

We live in an age of disruption and the league is being disrupted by youth.

But right now we're caught between old era and new era. 5 to 10 years from now, with more young prospects in the NHL, the ceiling for calibre of play will be lower. It will be easier for younger players to enter the league and have an immediate impact.

This shift will redefine a player's prime window. Instead of 26-30, it'll likely be 24 to 29. If anything is revolutionary, it's this radical youth take over.

What Benning really needs to do is be in the ball with timing. As our youth continue to hit their stride together, he needs to trade/sign winners, the big fish, who can produce to make us better and push us over the top.

Next season, with contracts coming off the table, should be the start of that acceleration period. 

12 hours ago, BlackRedYellow said:

Hey guys...

Go Canucks Go!

I appreciate the post  - last night's PGT was a waste of time...

To me last night, and the game before were actually pretty good hockey games - that is if you're a fan of hockey, and not just a Whale Rider.

I see alot of improvement in the Canucks, yes scoring is tough, but last night I was actually excited and enjoying the game.

The effort and attention to detail last night was real good - come on, Ottawa had one frickin' goal and it was a gaff...

Goaltending is real good, D is getting better and better, Larsen ain't Keith or Doughty, or even Russell, but he's no Weber or Murzyn. LOVED watching the big Russian destroy the opposition - brought a tear to my eye.

Forwards are figuring it out, figuring out how to play good team D while still creating offence - and this takes time - especially when you don't have a Kane, Kucherov, Gaudreau etc... to break er' open on their own - though Bo is good for a Hans Solo every now and then...

My biggest annoyance with the team right now is when Virt gets replaced by guys like Dorsett or Skille...

That said I was real happy to see Baer demoted - send our ugliest player a message "your ugly - so you need to work harder than everyone else - evolution is working against you"...

12 hours ago, BlackRedYellow said:

Hey guys...

Go Canucks Go!

Good post and perspective.

I believe that you build from the goal out, and the team is doing that quite well imo.

As far as offense - you can't put future production in the bank.  But I'm not going to project as negative a future as most people here.

I think among Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Baertschi, Granlund et all (who knows what guys like Lockwood, Zhukenov, Gaudette etc will become) - you have some good potential uptick and at least one top 6 line.

Eriksson will get his points - too much small sample panic around here.

The Sedins will remain a good second line at the very least for another year or two.

The forward group is a work in progress but that was to be expected - and I'd rather have the likes of Juolevi, Boeser, Demko, Tryamkin etc in the system than have gone all out to try to remedy scoring in the short run.

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Be active on July 1st. 

Buy at Trade Deadline. 

Your "facts" are the recipe for a full on intentional tank. Quit crying about, it's not happening. Everything Benning has done makes complete sense for the type of rebuild we're doing. That's a fact. Benning has done an excellent job improving the back end over two seasons. Next is the forward group.

Boeser will be here next season. He impressed last year at college and is killing it so far this year. Before the expansion draft some teams will be looking to move some quality players they can't protect. We have some decent depth on D and I see a strong possibility of a trade happening for a young top six forward coming in June at the latest.

It doesn't matter if you do a full blown tank or rebuild on the fly, time is required. I just see the full blown tank as riskier. You need luck on the draft year and the draft lottery. Then you still need decent pieces to surround those high picks with if you do get lucky. I just hate the idea of intentionally losing. Don't know how anybody could get behind that.

All that said, when has Benning been a buyer at the trade deadline? Give me the "facts" on that one.

Archived