The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Starting from the net going forward - looks promising!

BlackRedYellow

12 hours ago, BlackRedYellow said:

Hey guys...

I know we're just awful right now, but please sit tight. (Someone has to look at the bright spots!)

What JB has done since he arrived is two things: 

1) Trying to build a team for the future

2) trying to stay competitive while doing no 1

No 2 has obviously (so far) not worked that good. He's made some chances that has failed. So yes, his rating is probably a "D" for this attempt.

However, he has built us up from the net and upwards during his first two years. Right now we have both good goalies (right) now and in the system. We also have good defence now and in the system. We are ranked at worst no 9 in the NHL when it comes to any defensive stats  and we're not losing the games due to our goalies or defence men! And we have really good players in these categories in our system as well. 

What we lack is offence... and here's where JB has failed, so far, when it comes to adding scoring right now. But if you look at our system and the age in our group right now, he has come a long way if you compare with the group of players he had before his arrival. We are way younger, we have a Boeser who's on fire, a Rodin who might surprise us when healthy, and we can spend all our future no1 draft picks on offence for the next three years. We can also spend the cap money from the Sedins after their contract is gone (on FA's). There's also the opportunity to trade for offence with some of our defence since that pool is pretty good.

So, yeah, the plan for being competitive right now may not have been working that well. (Things could still change though.) But as I see it, it's not the end of the world. We could be back on track already the next season! The grade for no 1, is probably a "B" or "-A".

Go Canucks Go!

I don't think that we expected to see such a quick regression with the Sedins (especially Henrik)....They were never the fastest skaters to begin with,and with the way the league is trending with speed,they're being overmatched.

We still don't have our 1C as of yet,and we're still relying heavily on the twins..To compound matters,Eriksson isn't even on a line with them,and is being shuffled throughout the lineup...we all knew this day was coming,but not as quick as this.

25 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Your "facts" are the recipe for a full on intentional tank. Quit crying about, it's not happening. Everything Benning has done makes complete sense for the type of rebuild we're doing. That's a fact. Benning has done an excellent job improving the back end over two seasons. Next is the forward group.

Boeser will be here next season. He impressed last year at college and is killing it so far this year. Before the expansion draft some teams will be looking to move some quality players they can't protect. We have some decent depth on D and I see a strong possibility of a trade happening for a young top six forward coming in June at the latest.

It doesn't matter if you do a full blown tank or rebuild on the fly, time is required. I just see the full blown tank as riskier. You need luck on the draft year and the draft lottery. Then you still need decent pieces to surround those high picks with if you do get lucky. I just hate the idea of intentionally losing. Don't know how anybody could get behind that.

All that said, when has Benning been a buyer at the trade deadline? Give me the "facts" on that one.

Mmmmm you're going to be extra juicy when you give up hope. 

23 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Mmmmm you're going to be extra juicy when you give up hope. 

You'll be disappointed. I never give up hope. Truthfully, I never get worked up about it like you seem to. I simply love the game. Likely why I hate the idea of intentionally losing. I fully support them, win or lose, as long as they're trying to win.

47 minutes ago, Baggins said:

You'll be disappointed. I never give up hope. Truthfully, I never get worked up about it like you seem to. I simply love the game. Likely why I hate the idea of intentionally losing. I fully support them, win or lose, as long as they're trying to win.

Some of us have been around too long to give up hope - we're too reasonable in our expectations to begin with. In the 80's there wasn't much to cheer for but I still idolized Broduer, loved Tanti, and cheered for players like Sundstrom, Snepts and others. My hope then was there was a future coming, and it started the day Linden was drafted. Now, I can see the pieces and I'm just waiting on the transition and last few pieces we're looking for.

Nope, not giving up hope, even if this doesn't all turn around to a cup winning team.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

As it should be! 

29 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Some of us have been around too long to give up hope - we're too reasonable in our expectations to begin with. In the 80's there wasn't much to cheer for but I still idolized Broduer, loved Tanti, and cheered for players like Sundstrom, Snepts and others. My hope then was there was a future coming, and it started the day Linden was drafted. Now, I can see the pieces and I'm just waiting on the transition and last few pieces we're looking for.

Nope, not giving up hope, even if this doesn't all turn around to a cup winning team.

Needs to be all over the forum. hate running out of +1s

This team looks promising if you look anywhere but offence.

Goalies

Markstrom, Demko, Gartieg

Defenders

Guddy, Hutton, Juolevi, Stetcher, Tryamkin, Pedan, Olsen, Sautner, Brisebois,etc

Offence

Boeser, Virtanen, Baertschi, Horvat...Gaunce? Granlund? not much

Future lineup

_____-______- Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Lockwood-Granlund-Rendulic

Labate-Gaunce-_____

Juolevi-______/Tryamkin

Hutton-Guddy

Tyramkin/Pedan-Stetcher

Markstrom

Demko

Not the worst but lots of areas for improvement. Need some more top end talent. If we rebuild now in 2-3 years we could have a young fast competitive team

You seem worked up right now Baggins. 

I have a different way of thinking. I am also a long bag. I have been a fan for many years and I'm tired of seeing the same thing over and over. Seriously how many GMs have come in and said we are going to make changes and Win now!!! I want to focus on player development not winning Now. Winning now is going on 45 years, I don't buy into it anymore.  

Not Signing LE or trading for Gudbranson isn't trying to intentionally lose. I have said this over and over again. We have Burrows, the Sedins, Hansen and Edler. If that isn't enough veterian leadership to show the young players what it takes to be a Canuck then I don't know what is, I'm lost. What is the ratio? 4:1? 4 veteran leaders to 1 rookie? Pfffft it's BS, it's a cop out. 

I'm just tired.  

I'm tired of seeing pieces of crap signed to long term contracts.

I'm tired of going to the draft with fewer picks then most of the Stanley cup contenders.

I'm tired of reverting to a defensive system because we don't have the skill to bury our chances. 

I'm tired of living and diying by goaltending. 

I'm tired of chaising the league.

I'm tired of having no identity. 

I'm tired of losing in the 1st round. 

I wanna see something different. That doesn't make you a better fan then me. 

Get over yourself

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I have a different way of thinking. I am also a long bag. I have been a fan for many years and I'm tired of seeing the same thing over and over. Seriously how many GMs have come in and said we are going to make changes and Win now!!! I want to focus on player development not winning Now. Winning now is going on 45 years, I don't buy into it anymore.  

Not Signing LE or trading for Gudbranson isn't trying to intentionally lose. I have said this over and over again. We have Burrows, the Sedins, Hansen and Edler. If that isn't enough veterian leadership to show the young players what it takes to be a Canuck then I don't know what is, I'm lost. What is the ratio? 4:1? 4 veteran leaders to 1 rookie? Pfffft it's BS, it's a cop out. 

I'm just tired.  

I'm tired of going to the draft with fewer picks then most of the Stanley cup contenders.

I'm tired of reverting to a defensive system because we don't have the skill to bury our chances. 

Get over yourself

Become an Oiler fan. All your problems are solved.

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I'm just tired.  

Get over yourself

If you've been a fan for such a long time, how come you're so "tired" after only two or three losing seasons?

Before that we rocked for many many years... The last time we were this bad was in the eighties...

By the way, the Sedins, Burr etc won't be here for long, so we could use some more vets (Loui+Sutter) for the bridge years. And you're exaggerating with your 4:1 ratio. Right now it's more like 1:4 (vets vs youth).

Haven't had a 2nd round pick in 2 years.  Been signing 30something players to long contracts.  Trading picks & prospects for older players.  That's building for the future?  I thought the Canucks clearly stated they're not rebuilding but "going for it".  Their actions match what they said they would try to do.  A rebuild is not underway in Vancouver. 

Just now, Baggins said:

Become an Oiler fan. All your problems are solved.

Nice one, have never heard one of you "die hards" say that before. "Go cheer for the Oilers" such a cowardly, disappointing response.  

Add this to the list of things I'm tired of as well. 

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Haven't had a 2nd round pick in 2 years.  Been signing 30something players to long contracts.  Trading picks & prospects for older players.  That's building for the future?  I thought the Canucks clearly stated they're not rebuilding but "going for it".  Their actions match what they said they would try to do.  A rebuild is not underway in Vancouver. 

No, that's having bridge players for the future you're building.

Yes it is, no matter how far you stick your head in that sand.

14 minutes ago, BlackRedYellow said:

If you've been a fan for such a long time, how come you're so "tired" after only two or three losing seasons?

Before that we rocked for many many years... The last time we were this bad was in the eighties...

By the way, the Sedins, Burr etc won't be here for long, se we could use some more vets (Loui+Sutter) for the bridge years. And you're exaggerating with your 4:1 ratio. Right now it's more like 1:4 (vet vs youth).

If you call not winning the Cup Rocking it then get ready for some more Rock and roll.

I hate looking at the Banners of shame in rogers arena. 

Everyone talks about how much better we are than Edmonton the last 10 years yet we have accomplished the exact same thing. NOTHING. 

Oh wait, they have at least won the draft lottery. 

Good topic. Management, specifically Trevor Linden did specifically say not long after the draft that they had been working hard to fix the defense and would be focusing on the offense in the future and in upcoming drafts.

The current lack of scoring is very frustrating but there is little doubt that Linden was correct in believing that the defense has been corrected and with Stecher and OJ in the mix it looks bright. I get annoyed when management is accused (mostly by the eastern media) of not having a plan or vision whereas in reality they have done exactly what they said they would do and the low goals against makes a very strong statement in support of that. 

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yes it is, no matter how far you stick your head in that sand.

The bridge players were awful last year and the team finished near the bottom.  The bridge players are even worse this year and this team will finish near the bottom.  The future that's being built, is being done half assed because draft picks & prospects are being traded for bridge players that don't make a difference to winning. 

Why not trade assets away for draft picks & prospects instead.  Use cleared cap space to bring in vets.  On ice results would be similar but we'd have a ton more picks & prospects.  

Also, as far as having your head in the sand.  I'm not the one that called CBC, Sportsnet, TSN, Team1040, ESPN, The Province, The Vancouver Sun, The National Post, The Hockey News, Yahoo Sports, Vegas Oddsmakers, Bleacher Report, and Vice News idiots for saying this team would stink, that was you.  I'm a realist that saw the writing on the wall.  But I guess if you're still sold on bridge players and the current course that Benning is attempting to take.  Keep that head in the sand, ignorance is bliss. 

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

We have plenty of bridge players for sure....

Sadly we don't seem  to have any up and coming Franchise Players......

So our bridge you speak of is actually  -     A BRIDGE TO NOWHERE 

Like this...

bridge49.jpg

Just now, CanadianRugby said:

The bridge players were awful last year and the team finished near the bottom.  The bridge players are even worse this year and this team will finish near the bottom.  The future that's being built, is being done half assed because draft picks & prospects are being traded for bridge players that don't make a difference to winning. 

Why not trade assets away for draft picks & prospects instead.  Use cleared cap space to bring in vets.  On ice results would be similar but we'd have a ton more picks & prospects.  

Or, does it all not matter at all anyways?  Since a lot of you guys were saying a rebuild can't work if you don't have a competitive environment (Edmonton). 

The vast majority of bridge players have been UFA's and cost nothing more than Auqualini money. Try again

Archived