The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Starting from the net going forward - looks promising!

BlackRedYellow

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

The vast majority of bridge players have been UFA's and cost nothing more than Auqualini money. Try again

Yah right. Too funny.

Keeping the bridges theme going....

I have  a bridge for sale . You interested... ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=352522&d=145

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

Shinkaruk

McCann

2nd

2nd

2nd

2nd

3rd

3rd

4th

5th

5th

Draft picks & prospects traded by Benning. 

We're down a total of one pick in his tenure if I recall. Not posting returns is a poor way to make an argument lol. 

Try again. 

17 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

You seem worked up right now Baggins. 

I have a different way of thinking. I am also a long bag. I have been a fan for many years and I'm tired of seeing the same thing over and over. Seriously how many GMs have come in and said we are going to make changes and Win now!!! I want to focus on player development not winning Now. Winning now is going on 45 years, I don't buy into it anymore.  

Not Signing LE or trading for Gudbranson isn't trying to intentionally lose. I have said this over and over again. We have Burrows, the Sedins, Hansen and Edler. If that isn't enough veterian leadership to show the young players what it takes to be a Canuck then I don't know what is, I'm lost. What is the ratio? 4:1? 4 veteran leaders to 1 rookie? Pfffft it's BS, it's a cop out. 

I'm just tired.  

I'm tired of seeing pieces of crap signed to long term contracts.

I'm tired of going to the draft with fewer picks then most of the Stanley cup contenders.

I'm tired of reverting to a defensive system because we don't have the skill to bury our chances. 

I'm tired of living and diying by goaltending. 

I'm tired of chaising the league.

I'm tired of having no identity. 

I'm tired of losing in the 1st round. 

I wanna see something different. That doesn't make you a better fan then me. 

Get over yourself

I just want to see a rebuild done properly. I think that is exactly what we are seeing. What I get tired of is all the drama queens.

A proper rebuild starts with goal tending and defense. Benning has added Gudbranson,Stecher, Tryamkin and now Juolevi. ( Goal tending is solid)

Then you build your forward group. Bo was hear but is the starting point. Virtanen, Boeser, Gaudette and Lookwood. He has had 3 drafts.

They have moved some picks and made what people call questionable deals. Baer and Granlund are two. He took over a team that had been stripped down to the bare bones and had nothing but a bunch of older players. Nothing worth much on the trade market to make any moves with. Still strapped with high priced contracts some of which are still here. So you need to try to get younger and still ice a team. It is a business and you still need to sell tickets. A difficult circumstance. The first year you manage to put together a 100 point season. All that did was set the bar higher then ever. Linden's comments "There is no quick fix" is the truth.

For me the biggest mistake was winning those three games at the end of last year. That pissed me off big time!!!

Right now the media is fueling the hysteria because it sells......

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

We're down a total of one pick in his tenure if I recall. Not posting returns is a poor way to make an argument lol. 

Try again. 

2016:  No 2nd round pick, no 4th round pick

2015:  No 2nd round pick

2014:  Had extra 1st round pick from Kesler trade, traded player (McCann) away. 

So unless you count 5th and 7th rounders the same as 2nd rounders then we're down picks. 

Just now, LaBamba said:

Nice one, have never heard one of you "die hards" say that before. "Go cheer for the Oilers" such a cowardly, disappointing response.  

Add this to the list of things I'm tired of as well. 

Well the tankers can rage all you want, it's not going to change anything. So you can accept the rebuild as it is or give up and cheer for another team. Pretty simple options really. Nobody is forcing you to spend money on the team so that's not an issue. One would think you'd actually be happy with the way things are going as it means a higher pick. So why all the whining from the tankers? Whining because we're not trying to lose, yet whining because we are losing.

I like what Benning has done in two years. And despite losing, I think the team has been playing pretty well. An ounce of luck and there would have been several goals. It's still early in the season so I'm not about to write it off.

18 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

If you call not winning the Cup Rocking it then get ready for some more Rock and roll.

I hate looking at the Banners of shame in rogers arena. 

Everyone talks about how much better we are than Edmonton the last 10 years yet we have accomplished the exact same thing. NOTHING. 

Oh wait, they have at least won the draft lottery. 

Winning the cup won't make any difference to your life. None at all. Try just enjoying the game and you'll be happier for it.

How many division titles and Presidents Cups have we won compared to Edmonton in the last 10 years? I'd say we accomplished considerably more than them. But if the cup is the only thing that matters to you, you're going to disappointed an awful lot.

You seem awfully high on Edmonton for somebody that doesn't want to cheer for them.

8 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Well the tankers can rage all you want, it's not going to change anything. So you can accept the rebuild as it is or give up and cheer for another team. Pretty simple options really. Nobody is forcing you to spend money on the team so that's not an issue. One would think you'd actually be happy with the way things are going as it means a higher pick. So why all the whining from the tankers? Whining because we're not trying to lose, yet whining because we are losing.

I like what Benning has done in two years. And despite losing, I think the team has been playing pretty well. An ounce of luck and there would have been several goals. It's still early in the season so I'm not about to write it off.

Winning the cup won't make any difference to your life. None at all. Try just enjoying the game and you'll be happier for it.

How many division titles and Presidents Cups have we won compared to Edmonton in the last 10 years? I'd say we accomplished considerably more than them. But if the cup is the only thing that matters to you, you're going to disappointed an awful lot.

You seem awfully high on Edmonton for somebody that doesn't want to cheer for them.

You confuse Tankers with posters that want to see our younger players used effectively and properly developed.

I don't care about wins and losses this year.

Just want to see Virtanen, Bo,  Sven , Stetcher,   Try and they other younger future stars used properly.

22 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

So unless you count 5th and 7th rounders the same as 2nd rounders then we're down picks. 

Sutter, Gudbranson, Baer :bored:

27 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Shinkaruk

McCann

2nd

2nd

2nd

2nd

3rd

3rd

4th

5th

5th

Draft picks & prospects traded by Benning. 

How's Shinkarik and McCann doing?

Boo freakin' hoo. I don't see any first rounders on the list. I'm happy with that. I've liked every deal Benning has made. There was a big gap here between NHL ready prospects and aging veterans thanks to Gillis. That gap need to be filled and Benning did what needed to be done.

20 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Well the tankers

Stopped reading here. You obviously don't read my posts so I'm not going to read yours. 

Just because I disagree with signing mediocre players like Dorset, Sbisa, Sutter, LE and soon to be Gudbranson to stupid contracts to support a tired core doesn't make me a tanker. I don't like rushing anything including rebuilds. So stop telling me what I am and what I should think and feel. 

28 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Trading 24th overall pick with a second and a fifth seems pretty cheap for a 3rd overall pick with a 4th in return.

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Stopped reading here. You obviously don't read my posts so I'm not going to read yours. 

Just because I disagree with signing mediocre players like Dorset, Sbisa, Sutter, LE and soon to be Gudbranson to stupid contracts to support a tired core doesn't make me a tanker. I don't like rushing anything including rebuilds. So stop telling me what I am and what I should think and feel. 

If you don't want improvements to the team you are obviously in the tank group. I call'em as I see'em.

8 minutes ago, Baggins said:

How's Shinkarik and McCann doing?

Boo freakin' hoo. I don't see any first rounders on the list. I'm happy with that. I've liked every deal Benning has made. There was a big gap here between NHL ready prospects and aging veterans thanks to Gillis. That gap need to be filled and Benning did what needed to be done.

Wow he sure did a great job. Filling that gap got us so much further ahead. 

I also think it's funny how you guys are all like "you can find elite players in the back of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds" yet when we trade away those picks your tone changes to "do you know the chances of those picks becoming anything?" 

Lets build this team 1995 style.  

Look I don't understand analytics, but from what I have looked at we look like an above average team this year.  From the eye test I would also agree with that.  We just can't score that's part bad luck and we do need one more player who can shoot.  I would love it if someone could give a more comprehensive look at our analytics.

18 hours ago, BlackRedYellow said:

Hey guys...

I know we're just awful right now, but please sit tight. (Someone has to look at the bright spots!)

What JB has done since he arrived is two things: 

1) Trying to build a team for the future

2) trying to stay competitive while doing no 1

No 2 has obviously (so far) not worked that good. He's made some chances that has failed. So yes, his rating is probably a "D" for this attempt.

However, he has built us up from the net and upwards during his first two years. Right now we have both good goalies (right) now and in the system. We also have good defence now and in the system. We are ranked at worst no 9 in the NHL when it comes to any defensive stats  and we're not losing the games due to our goalies or defence men! And we have really good players in these categories in our system as well. 

What we lack is offence... and here's where JB has failed, so far, when it comes to adding scoring right now. But if you look at our system and the age in our group right now, he has come a long way if you compare with the group of players he had before his arrival. We are way younger, we have a Boeser who's on fire, a Rodin who might surprise us when healthy, and we can spend all our future no1 draft picks on offence for the next three years. We can also spend the cap money from the Sedins after their contract is gone (on FA's). There's also the opportunity to trade for offence with some of our defence since that pool is pretty good.

So, yeah, the plan for being competitive right now may not have been working that well. (Things could still change though.) But as I see it, it's not the end of the world. We could be back on track already the next season! The grade for no 1, is probably a "B" or "-A".

Go Canucks Go!

Way to go for making the first positive thread in 3 weeks! You new here or something ? 

6 hours ago, LaBamba said:

If you call not winning the Cup Rocking it then get ready for some more Rock and roll.

If the only thing you count as "positive", is winning the cup, then we can stop this conversation. 

You need some luck to go all the way and you're literally saying that the 94 and 11 team just sucked, because they didn't win.

14 minutes ago, BlackRedYellow said:

If the only thing you count as "positive", is winning the cup, then we can stop this conversation. 

You need some luck to go all the way and you're literally saying that the 94 and 11 team just sucked, because they didn't win.

They didn't suck at all but when I look back at it I remember the intense disappointment. I'd trade that disappointment for Connor McDavid any day of the week. 

When you look back at 94/11 are you like. "Man that was sooo awesome". Cause "I'm like F$&@" I still haven't been able to even watch highlights of those series. What are you some kinda sadist? 

If you think about it, losing the 2011 final basically destroyed that core. They should take all the banners from that season and burn them. 

23 hours ago, Warhippy said:

From the net out looks better after we draft Timothy Liljegren in June

I know the chances of all our prospects reaching their potential is unrealistic, but having a defense core of Lilegren, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Guddy, and Hutton in their prime around the same time? Holy fudgin' fudge.

Archived