The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Starting from the net going forward - looks promising!

BlackRedYellow

56 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Hahaha that's what every team does you Noob. Is every team rebuilding? 

Everything's always so black and white with you, where it's obvious (or should be) that there's multiple shades of grey for every situation. Sure, even the cup contenders are developing for the future while remaining competitive, but there's definitely a stronger focus on the competitive side for them where they will make short term deals that cost them draft picks and prospects. Teams more like us in the middle of a retool will put a premium on the picks and prospects (including young NHL'ers who could be big pieces in future, even at the cost of some picks) instead of deadline deals for rentals.

But you know that, so why you continue that it has to be an all or none approach I don't know.

11 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Everything's always so black and white with you, where it's obvious (or should be) that there's multiple shades of grey for every situation. Sure, even the cup contenders are developing for the future while remaining competitive, but there's definitely a stronger focus on the competitive side for them where they will make short term deals that cost them draft picks and prospects. Teams more like us in the middle of a retool will put a premium on the picks and prospects (including young NHL'ers who could be big pieces in future, even at the cost of some picks) instead of deadline deals for rentals.

But you know that, so why you continue that it has to be an all or none approach I don't know.

I don't see the difference. Every action we do contradicts a rebuild. Management doesn't call it a rebuild either. Just because the Sedins have a new supporting cast doesn't mean we are rebuilding anything. We are tooling up for another run while trying not to sacrifice the future. Where is the grey? 

12 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

No use in trying to get him to understand. In his mind he's right and you're wrong, and that's it. I'm not even real according to him... must be a ghost ::D

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Hahaha that's what every team does you Noob. Is every team rebuilding? 

No it isn't. Not all teams are are mindful of the future as we are now. Contenders certainly continue to draft and and develop but it isn't their main priority or focus. 

Ya noob. 

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No it isn't. Not all teams are are mindful of the future as we are now. Contenders certainly continue to draft and and develop but it isn't their main priority or focus. 

Ya noob. 

Just like us. "This isn't about developing players it's about winning now"

Go back to your garage sales or whatever you do on Saturday 

27 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I don't see the difference. Every action we do contradicts a rebuild. Management doesn't call it a rebuild either. Just because the Sedins have a new supporting cast doesn't mean we are rebuilding anything. We are tooling up for another run while trying not to sacrifice the future. Where is the grey? 

That supporting cast? Sure, we've had some veteran UFA signings but otherwise that cast is far younger than  what we gave them during the cup runs (and we certainly aren't adding pieces to finish off our cup run puzzle, we're adding support to try and keep the pressure off the young guys). Lots of variables in this equation.

23 minutes ago, BlackRedYellow said:

No use in trying to get him to understand. In his mind he's right and you're wrong, and that's it. I'm not even real according to him... must be a ghost ::D

Yeah, every once in a while I throw a debate his way, but it's usually a losing cause.

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Just like us. "This isn't about developing players it's about winning now"

Go back to your garage sales or whatever you do on Saturday 

In the NHL we're trying to play games to win. We aren't going to coddle players here to develop them, that's what the AHL and the junior/NCAA/overseas leagues are for.

Every team should be playing each night to try and win, whether that's a team going for the cup, a team in the middle of a retool, or a team in a full on tear down and rebuild.

11 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

That supporting cast? Sure, we've had some veteran UFA signings but otherwise that cast is far younger than  what we gave them during the cup runs (and we certainly aren't adding pieces to finish off our cup run puzzle, we're adding support to try and keep the pressure off the young guys). Lots of variables in this equation.

Yeah, every once in a while I throw a debate his way, but it's usually a losing cause.

In the NHL we're trying to play games to win. We aren't going to coddle players here to develop them, that's what the AHL and the junior/NCAA/overseas leagues are for.

Every team should be playing each night to try and win, whether that's a team going for the cup, a team in the middle of a retool, or a team in a full on tear down and rebuild.

Lets complete the CDC argument flow chart. 

Ahem, every team in the NHL has a younger team then they did in 2011. We are actually one of the 10 oldest teams in the league. 

Full circle. 

21 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Didn't we just have 2 draft picks in the first 4 rounds?  Didn't we just trade those draft picks to win now?  Yeah, few teams are less not more mindful of the future. 

Rebuild on the fly they said 

we can still win they said. 

6 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Don't worry, just trust in Benning.  We're still a playoff team and our prospects are going to be leading us to Stanley Cups shortly.  /sarcasm

Patience!!!

Said the man who couldn't be patient enough for a real rebuild. 

13 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Lets complete the CDC argument flow chart. 

Ahem, every team in the NHL has a younger team then they did in 2011. We are actually one of the 10 oldest teams in the league. 

Full circle. 

And now you're just ignoring the points from reasonable responses. Once again, you're arguing for the sake of it. Have your circle then.

6 hours ago, elvis15 said:

And now you're just ignoring the points from reasonable responses. Once again, you're arguing for the sake of it. Have your circle then.

Im not arguing for the sake of argument, well maybe a little but I really don't see how people can call what we are doing a rebuild. I don't see why you need a to sign the second biggest UFA to nurture the young guys. 

There is no actual physical evidence that any of these moves he made sped up this process or made the team better now. 

If all the picks he traded and could have acquired turned out to be 10. And we conservatively got 2-4 more future core pieces out of those picks, IMO the process has been sped up. By throwing those away and not even getting better now as a result, that process has slowed down or even stopped. 

I like Jim Benning's Drafting, I like that he is a hard working honest man, but I don't like the way he is setting us up for the future. Our main focus needs to be 5 years from now. 

6 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Pretty much his M.O. And both continue to make disingenuous comments like 'win the Stanley Cup shortly'.

It's like they flat out refuse to see what is actually happening right in front of them.

And yes, it is a rebuild. 

Archived