The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Assessing Benning - Again

JamesB

What is your opinion on Benning?  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

You seem a little bitter!

I say he cleaned up a mess and pieced together a team for the short term.

In his interview today he said there would be no deals for the short term. That means that he gets where this team is at. No quick fix.  No magic wand.

Pieced together? You mean with trade like Clendening, Prust, Baertschi. How are those working out?

Wasting pick's on other teams left overs is not managing. 

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

You seem a little bitter!

I say he cleaned up a mess and pieced together a team for the short term.

In his interview today he said there would be no deals for the short term. That means that he gets where this team is at. No quick fix.  No magic wand.

I'm very bitter. I came in not knowing anything about him. He has continually disappointed. I don't trust his plan or that he even understand what the NHL is transitioning into. No more grinders and goons. More progressive teams have skilled guys on their bottom 6. They only have one big defenceman who can only hit and intimidate, rather they have mobile defencemen who can make good first passes not clear it off the glass. It's as if he is stuck in the late 90s early 2000s. The game is different. 

14 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

The Canucks were a bottom 3 team last year. We are likely going to be around the same this year. Yet, both years we were right up near the cap ceiling. Do you know how rare it is for teams at the bottom of the NHL to be among the highest salary cap teams? Very rare. And the Canucks are about to do it two years in a row. 

That is the definition of wasted money. You would thing a multi millionaire real estate family would clue into that. 

It is whinny fans and the cities drama queen media that force management to try and prop this team up for the short term. If they had of burnt this team down like they should have the season ticket base would have dried up. No one can afford that.

Go and look at the mighty Habs tonight without Price in the net.

I will laugh if the team settles into their new system and start to win some games. You will all be back on the wagon rolling down the hill. 

I personally hope we tank for the rest of the year!

I'm on the fence with Benning.  He's made some moves that I like and some that I dont. I feel like this year is a defining year for him. If he continues to trade picks for reclamation projects or fails to acquire new ones via reasonable trades, I think a lot of fans are really going to turn on him.

He's made a lot of questionable moves that are starting to look worse with time. 

36 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

The Canucks were a bottom 3 team last year. We are likely going to be around the same this year. Yet, both years we were right up near the cap ceiling. Do you know how rare it is for teams at the bottom of the NHL to be among the highest salary cap teams? Very rare. And the Canucks are about to do it two years in a row. 

I don't think this point gets talked about enough.  The Canucks have no players in the current line up from the draft years 2005 to 2011 (that's 7 years).  Those are ages 23 to 29 which as we know are a hockey players prime years.

When Benning took over the team, he had very few players in this age range.  He has been trying to add players in this age range but the quality is questionable imo.  Many of them have been late bloomers and marginal players and are at best supporting cast (with the exception of Tanev).  Other players in this group who are still with the team are:  Sutter, Larsen, Sbisa, Baertschi, Granlund, Markstrom.  Rodin, the Canucks drafted in 2009 but he is yet to play a regular season game.

We have to rate Benning based on the specific context of the job that he has been faced with.  To do less would be unfair.

I think that if you could criticise Benning, it would be for not being able to make up for this deficit in drafting.  Or, for thinking that he could.  It looks more and more like the players that he has added in this age group just cannot carry the team.  Free agents and traded players their prime are very expensive obviously.  The question is, are the players that he did add worth more to the team than the assets he gave up to get them (and others that failed).

As the team is structured right now, these prime players are fair to middling in quality and it is telling.

I think that most people realize that the team that Benning is building will be done through the draft.  Linden and Benning have said this from the beginning.  Bo Horvat is the oldest of these players and until he is nearing his prime, this team will get worse before it gets better.  It's going to take a couple of more years.

13 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

I'm very bitter. I came in not knowing anything about him. He has continually disappointed. I don't trust his plan or that he even understand what the NHL is transitioning into. No more grinders and goons. More progressive teams have skilled guys on their bottom 6. They only have one big defenceman who can only hit and intimidate, rather they have mobile defencemen who can make good first passes not clear it off the glass. It's as if he is stuck in the late 90s early 2000s. The game is different. 

So where is he going to magically find these players that you want. Who is going to give up their top D men. Be realistic,who are you going trade for and what will you use to get it? Are you 12 years old?

He signed Stecher and drafted Juolevi this year. Sounds exactly what you are crying for. Virtanen is a big boy,yes. But he is a high end skater and posses a top level shot. If he develops he will be a 230ld power forward who is as mobile as any of the top talents in the league. You don't pass on that. 

Tryamkin is huge but very mobile. His lateral motion is very impressive. This man is not a plug but could be the real deal.

This is like flogging a dead horse.

Benning can only do so much - he has to play the cards he was dealt to start - but I can see where he is trying to build a team from the draft. This will take a few years and in the meantime  he has to ice a team that is hopefully competitive enough to keep owners and at least some of the fan base happy. I wouldn't want his job. Your hands are tied with NMC and NTC 

But we all know what he had to start  - some are just more patient then others waiting to see where this ends up 3-5 years from now.

50 minutes ago, KFBR392 said:

I'm on the fence with Benning.  He's made some moves that I like and some that I dont. I feel like this year is a defining year for him. If he continues to trade picks for reclamation projects or fails to acquire new ones via reasonable trades, I think a lot of fans are really going to turn on him.

He's made a lot of questionable moves that are starting to look worse with time. 

I'm not sure how many more 23 year old late bloomers Benning can add.  I would just as soon see him concentrate on the draft and when he has the cap space, add a veteran free agent who can play.

He doesn't have the depth to make trades yet.  And giving up picks for the likes of Linden Vey, I think are being shown to be an exercise in futility.  Even in the cases where these moves have worked out, guys like Baertschi and Granlund are probably only 3rd liners on good teams.

not a fan of what Benning have done for the team so far.. and not a fan of his so call draft wisdom.. in the 3 years he's been the GM and the 3 draft.. so far 0 players have done well in the NHL or AHL.. Boeser and Demko is prolly his 2 best pick and they dominated in the NCAA.. early in demko's Pro career he's being lit up like a xmas tree.. hopefully he'll turn it around with more games and not let it shatter his confidence.. everything else he drafted he either traded away for bottom 6 plugs or players he thinks can help the team win now.. so what's the point of getting all the draft picks and prospect with talent anyways? 

1 hour ago, camaro ss said:

What I don't get... Is trading Eddy lack for nothing and keeping Miller when clearly Lack and Markstrom would've worked.

Lack can't even take the starting job from an over-the-hill cam ward, so I think you meant 'tanked harder' rather than 'worked'

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

That is the definition of wasted money. You would thing a multi millionaire real estate family would clue into that. 

I think they're so rich that they're just throwing money at a problem hoping that it works. Considering the market they're in, you could rationalize veteran contracts (like Eriksson's) as marketing money. 

It's backfiring right now though. 

Whisky d#%& offense.

Archived