The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Interview 1040..Nov 4,2016

Honky Cat

I actually 100% agreed with everything he said in this interview. I'm happy he hasn't given up on WD. I honestly wonder if the people who want to fire WD have a clear grasp of A. The players he has to work with and B. how well structured we are. Last season we were grossly outshot and we hung the goalies to dry 5-6 times a game. This year a can't even think of any half the rink odd man rushes and we have been in every game but 2. The problem we have is lack of dangle. We got no skillz and no finish.

I will go as far as saying that our structure and goaltending have actually made us look farrr better than we are on paper. 

We haven't played structure like this since AV. If there is anything I'm bought into it's the coaching staff. 

34 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Clearly Benning stated that they've had to advise Willie on deployment. Never a good sign when a GM and president have to train the coach. He's as good as gone. Back to the minors. 

"We asked him to play with more structure & he's done that."

Do you see the difference between Bennings quote and yours? Asking somebody to do something and he does it is not the same as training somebody to do something.

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

"We asked him to play with more structure & he's done that."

Do you see the difference between Bennings quote and yours? Asking somebody to do something and he does it is not the same as training somebody to do something.

And advising and training are the same how? 

Again I'm dealing with ultrasensitive posters who extrapolate phrases to suit their argument. Back to the shire with you. You need a dose of the halfings leaf. 

Let's be honest. It doesn't really matter from this point on if the teams wins or loses. We're not going to be in the playoffs, we're not even going to be competing for the playoffs.

All that matters is that our younger players develop and learn to play the NHL game. If Willie can get them ready for the next couple years, I'm happy.

34 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I actually 100% agreed with everything he said in this interview. I'm happy he hasn't given up on WD. I honestly wonder if the people who want to fire WD have a clear grasp of A. The players he has to work with and B. how well structured we are. Last season we were grossly outshot and we hung the goalies to dry 5-6 times a game. This year a can't even think of any half the rink odd man rushes and we have been in every game but 2. The problem we have is lack of dangle. We got no skillz and no finish.

I will go as far as saying that our structure and goaltending have actually made us look farrr better than we are on paper. 

We haven't played structure like this since AV. If there is anything I'm bought into it's the coaching staff. 

The key thing is that he actually asked the fans for more patience. 

I liked the interview. I suspect he had the questions in advance and some media lines to follow to help navigate the bating questions. Not a bad job. He at least is saying the right things. I wonder if it's all %100 sincere. I especially wonder about owner interference. We need some detective journalists. That would be so Vancouver.

I think this is a good point he raises - we have been playing with MUCH more structure, we've been in almost every single game and we haven't been as good as our first 4 games or as bad as our last losing streak. This team is just finding itself offensively and is still generating chances and playing the right way - once they start catching fire and clicking they'll start winning these games as long as they keep their defensive structure. Defensive we've been fantastic, goaltending has been the best its been in years, we can't sacrifice that for offence. Just keep patient, playing this way and we'll start winning games.

No need to freak out just yet, it's only 11 games into the season, but we can't keep letting points slip. This streak has to be ended on this road trip, but as soon as it does the Canucks will gain confidence and really start to roll.

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

I agree. Partially. 

I DO think we've been in most games,  due to the structure and goaltending.   If we found a way to score some goals,  we would absolutely have at least 2-3 more wins so far.  Maybe 4.

Our issue is absolutely due to a lack of driving to the net, and bearing down on the puck battles.  I mean,  we lack high end scoring talent too,  but not much we can do about that.   By all rights,  our depth in scoring ought to amount to something, and the Sedins and Eriksson are no slouches to begin with.  If you look at our entire lineup, I think you can call out almost all our guys as having fewer points than they should.

So with a reasonable amount of shots per game, why not more goals?  I don't think it is luck.  I think our scoring chances are low percentage plays - both individually and the team all around.  Why are we not getting quality chances?   Because we aren't providing traffic in front of the net.   We aren't collapsing to the net either,  and getting secondary chances.   We just float around,  and take shots from the hashmarks that the goalie can see all the way.   

And these points are up to the coach to fix.   If he isn't forcing them to correct their mistakes, then that's a problem.

Yes,  it is also up to the players to listen to the coach as well,  but if you see our defensive structure,  I don't think WD has lost the room whatsoever.   He just needs to direct the players to position themselves for higher scoring potential plays - even if that means a little more pinching,  and moving more players down low at once.  (Risking an odd man rush,  but still required). 

23 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I agree. Partially. 

I DO think we've been in most games,  due to the structure and goaltending.   If we found a way to score some goals,  we would absolutely have at least 2-3 more wins so far.  Maybe 4.

Our issue is absolutely due to a lack of driving to the net, and bearing down on the puck battles.  I mean,  we lack high end scoring talent too,  but not much we can do about that.   By all rights,  our depth in scoring ought to amount to something, and the Sedins and Eriksson are no slouches to begin with.  If you look at our entire lineup, I think you can call out almost all our guys as having fewer points than they should.

So with a reasonable amount of shots per game, why not more goals?  I don't think it is luck.  I think our scoring chances are low percentage plays - both individually and the team all around.  Why are we not getting quality chances?   Because we aren't providing traffic in front of the net.   We aren't collapsing to the net either,  and getting secondary chances.   We just float around,  and take shots from the hashmarks that the goalie can see all the way.   

And these points are up to the coach to fix.   If he isn't forcing them to correct their mistakes, then that's a problem.

Yes,  it is also up to the players to listen to the coach as well,  but if you see our defensive structure,  I don't think WD has lost the room whatsoever.   He just needs to direct the players to position themselves for higher scoring potential plays - even if that means a little more pinching,  and moving more players down low at once.  (Risking an odd man rush,  but still required). 

I agree that it seems like the lack of goals is due to low percentage plays.  The only caveat to this is that we have been having "east-to-west" plays where the puck is being thrown across the ice for a shot.  The problem is speed.  To generate higher percentage plays, we need to:

1. have faster foot speed in order to have our players maneuver across the ice faster; 
  2. move the puck faster - whether that's a pass or shot; and
  3. not fear making an imperfect play by trying to make the perfect pass or perfect shot.

I haven't had the opportunity to watch too many games but in the games I have watched, passes in the o-zone to set up chances are often just that tad bit slower than what's necessary to catch a goalie off center and shots take just that half second longer to release.

All of your other points exacerbate the above things too.  Having guys drive the net hard when you make plays faster increases the percentages that a bounce will go your way.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And advising and training are the same how? 

Again I'm dealing with ultrasensitive posters who extrapolate phrases to suit their argument. Back to the shire with you. You need a dose of the halfings leaf. 

Which one of us is playing games to suit their argument?

Benning said, "We asked him to play with more structure & he's done that."

You said, " Clearly Benning stated that they've had to advise Willie on deployment. Never a good sign when a GM and president have to train the coach. "

Do you see anything in Bennings quote about advising on deployment or having to train Willie? No. You just make crap up as you go to suit your argument. Maybe you need to lay of the leaf.

Archived