The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Interview 1040..Nov 4,2016

Honky Cat

37 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Which one of us is playing games to suit their argument?

Who knows. Maybe me?

Benning said, "We asked him to play with more structure & he's done that."

You said, " Clearly Benning stated that they've had to advise Willie on deployment. Never a good sign when a GM and president have to train the coach. "

Do you see anything in Bennings quote about advising on deployment or having to train Willie? No. You just make crap up as you go to suit your argument. Maybe you need to lay of the leaf.

Ouch. Easy on me, halfing. 

11 minutes ago, smokes said:

I wonder how many time Benning needs to tell everyone that ownership doesn't really interfere with decisions before people actually get it? Almost feels like the fans and the media doesn't trust what Benning says.

5 hours ago, drsofthands said:

what hes saying and what he thinks are likely 2 different things. I dont believe he would ever say anything along the lines of: this team is not good enough for playoffs, or I disagree with the coaching staff, etc...

10 minutes ago, smokes said:

I wonder how many time Benning needs to tell everyone that ownership doesn't really interfere with decisions before people actually get it? Almost feels like the fans and the media doesn't trust what Benning says.

Benning is honest to a fault..(he's already been fined for it)..I believe him on this one..

I wonder if this version of the Canucks could beat a new Las Vegas(LV) expansion team?  If we keep every thing pretty much status quo, and play the new LV team, we may have a hard time getting two points.  If that happens we should just swap the entire roster with LV and make the biggest trade in NHL history, if they would even make that deal ... Now that would be pretty low!

It eases my piece of mind when I hear Benning talking about being competitive every night and developing players rather than talking about the playoffs. That's all I am asking for. He knows what he is doing and even if he is talking about getting a 20 goal scorer he would only do it if it makes sense and not losing assets for the future. Love what I am hearing here. 

8 hours ago, LatteSipper said:

Matthew Tkachuk drives to the net. On pace for 20 goals too

Tkachuk is also getting first line minutes, so is Ritchie and Nylander and multiple other young players/prospects. Our coach has decided that our young players need to be scrubs and earn the time over senior skaters, even if said senior skaters are not producing. 

WD is far to risk adverse to get more out of this team.  He is a plodder, it shows with the on ice performance. 

Why not not give Horvat and Virtannen some laditude and see if they can create some offence.  Horvat has been one of our better forwards. Yet he gets fewer ozone starts and has ice cold Baer as his linemate.  Virtannen gets 8-9 minutes of ice time a game.  

Really what hat bothers me about our current goal scoring drought is the is the rinse and repeat format. We have been steadily declining for years offensively yet keep up the same predictable approach that other teams have figured out years ago. 

. Horvat is being poorly used by WD. Sutter and Gaunce are able to take d zone draws. Play Eriksson with Horvat and Virtannen/Rodin, give them o zone starts.   Play Hansen/Sutter with the twins for 5v5 play.  

Put Baer with Granlund. Baer plays the left side, Sutter/Hansen at RW and Granlund is the Center

This would be a different look and when Rodin gets back we can either send Jake down or sit Baer or who ever is not producing. 

EW. 

Benning on Desjardins: "We asked him to play with more structure & he's done that. We've been in all the games, we just need to score."

— Canucks Now (@CanucksNow) November 5, 2016

In other words they told him to play a more defense game and that is exactly what WD does now. Don't blame him about the scoring drought, blame Benning.

It usually goes wrong when the gm told the coach how to play. Everybody should concentrate on his own job, the gm on management and the coach on coaching.

12 minutes ago, the harry said:

Benning on Desjardins: "We asked him to play with more structure & he's done that. We've been in all the games, we just need to score."

In other words they told him to play a more defense game and that is exactly what WD does now. Don't blame him about the scoring drought, blame Benning.

It usually goes wrong when the gm told the coach how to play. Everybody should concentrate on his own job, the gm on management and the coach on coaching.

I have to agree. The coach has to coach the systems that suit the players he has. If Benning wants a more defensive system he should have signed /traded for bigger and more counter attacking type of players. How do the Sedins and Ericsson play that kind of game, or Granlund or Baertschi? 

21 minutes ago, the harry said:

HA! 

I blame the players if anyone should be blamed, they are the ones taking the shots.......... or does Benning have a video game controller controlling their actions like NHL17?  

Playing a defensively responsible game doesn't mean you completely turn off the offense, it's not that black and white.... 

the most farfetched Benning criticism in recent memory? I'm in awe. 

13 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

He just spews the same ole garbage.... blah blah blah.... team is competing for play offs..... (really?)  Very concerning where this team is heading... old school thinking does not cut it in the NHL. Need progressive GM, not dinosaur 

I don't think you actually listened to the interview...:huh:

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Tkachuk is also getting first line minutes, so is Ritchie and Nylander and multiple other young players/prospects. Our coach has decided that our young players need to be scrubs and earn the time over senior skaters, even if said senior skaters are not producing. 

WD is far to risk adverse to get more out of this team.  He is a plodder, it shows with the on ice performance. 

Why not not give Horvat and Virtannen some laditude and see if they can create some offence.  Horvat has been one of our better forwards. Yet he gets fewer ozone starts and has ice cold Baer as his linemate.  Virtannen gets 8-9 minutes of ice time a game.  

Really what hat bothers me about our current goal scoring drought is the is the rinse and repeat format. We have been steadily declining for years offensively yet keep up the same predictable approach that other teams have figured out years ago. 

. Horvat is being poorly used by WD. Sutter and Gaunce are able to take d zone draws. Play Eriksson with Horvat and Virtannen/Rodin, give them o zone starts.   Play Hansen/Sutter with the twins for 5v5 play.  

Put Baer with Granlund. Baer plays the left side, Sutter/Hansen at RW and Granlund is the Center

This would be a different look and when Rodin gets back we can either send Jake down or sit Baer or who ever is not producing. 

EW. 

Mmmmm...ice cold Baer...

Archived