The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie and Jim Benning on Hot Seat

TDemko16

Play it out until the trade deadline. Re-evaluate Desjardins and see if he is the right guy to ride the season out. Otherwise, interim head coach until seasons end. Head coach search in the offseason.

Bennings seat is safe in my books for at least this season and the next 2. We just have to focus on the future and I get a feeling that the management group are now on board with a full on re-build from the indications and soundbites I have heard recently. Anything other than that is just speculation. 

Benning so far hasn't done anything wrong that would warrant him on the hot seat. And how is Willie supposed to coach a team that can't score goals?

Honestly though, my finger goes towards ownership. Probably stopping Benning from making a rebuild. Nobody can seriously look at this line-up and say "Oh, we're gonna be a playoff team".

Really folks, what do you expect Benning to do?  This team needs to fail to get good.  Yep, Columbus scored 10 goals, Columbus also had how many miserable years to develop their prospect pool?  Same with Edmonton, same with Toronton, same with Chicago, same with...... We are just about to hit the bottom, we are NOT just coming out of it.  We have to be realistic, we hired an ELITE level talent guy and a developmental coach who is learning the NHL as he goes (with the young core).  Its pretty obvious the TL and the owners had a few rough years in mind when they put this together.  Brace yourselves folks and grab the vasoline, because the coming 2-3 years are going to hurt a little.

This being said, I do think we are in an interesting position.  With the expansion draft looming, teams are going to have to assess their asset pool and make some tough decisions on who to expose and who to trade for picks and futures because they don't want to lose their assets for nothing.  This may allow us to fast track our team a touch because you have to believe there will be a team or two with too much talent, and who are unwilling to let their talent be available for nothing.  We are sitting presently with 2 second rounders I believe, which to me means a shot at 2 decent roster players.

Sorry for the long winded post, but honestly man, I'm a huge Canucks fan, I have TL's farewell photo sitting beside me here in my office, and even I know that this team has to suffer before it succeeds.

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Mmmmm TMZ 1040 as the source for all things Nuck

Literally no point firing either of them.  Benning is a decent talent evaluator and who can we hire to replace WD that won't see us finishing in meidocrity

play it out

I believe we are losing because of the lack of skill on our team. not injuries, not depth, not the coach or gm. just pure lack of skill! no coach or gm can fix our solution until we score a big trade or something. benning and linden took on this mess and it will take sometime for them to clear it up! benning is right for the fans to be patient.

15 minutes ago, Type R said:

Really folks, what do you expect Benning to do?  This team needs to fail to get good.  Yep, Columbus scored 10 goals, Columbus also had how many miserable years to develop their prospect pool?  Same with Edmonton, same with Toronton, same with Chicago, same with...... We are just about to hit the bottom, we are NOT just coming out of it.  We have to be realistic, we hired an ELITE level talent guy and a developmental coach who is learning the NHL as he goes (with the young core).  Its pretty obvious the TL and the owners had a few rough years in mind when they put this together.  Brace yourselves folks and grab the vasoline, because the coming 2-3 years are going to hurt a little.

This being said, I do think we are in an interesting position.  With the expansion draft looming, teams are going to have to assess their asset pool and make some tough decisions on who to expose and who to trade for picks and futures because they don't want to lose their assets for nothing.  This may allow us to fast track our team a touch because you have to believe there will be a team or two with too much talent, and who are unwilling to let their talent be available for nothing.  We are sitting presently with 2 second rounders I believe, which to me means a shot at 2 decent roster players.

Sorry for the long winded post, but honestly man, I'm a huge Canucks fan, I have TL's farewell photo sitting beside me here in my office, and even I know that this team has to suffer before it succeeds.

Nice job! The leap would have been to start this process in 2012.

Bennings done nothing that he should be fire over. Sure the Baertschis and Veys of the world haven't revitalized this team, but they were literally just brought in to fill an age gap. 

Have you checked out the kind of talent Benning has drafted? Boeser, Lockwood, and Gaudette are absolutely lighting the NCAA on fire so far this season. 

If anyone's getting fired it's Willy for improperly uitlizing players and stunting our offense. Like why the heck were Sbisa and Dorsett out with the goalie pulled last game???? 

If we don't score tonight against the Leafs I fully expect to see either Travis Green or Marc Crawford behind our bench within a week

15 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Bennings done nothing that he should be fire over. Sure the Baertschis and Veys of the world haven't revitalized this team, but they were literally just brought in to fill an age gap. 

Have you checked out the kind of talent Benning has drafted? Boeser, Lockwood, and Gaudette are absolutely lighting the NCAA on fire so far this season. 

If anyone's getting fired it's Willy for improperly uitlizing players and stunting our offense. Like why the heck were Sbisa and Dorsett out with the goalie pulled last game???? 

If we don't score tonight against the Leafs I fully expect to see either Travis Green or Marc Crawford behind our bench within a week

Marc Crawford is assistant coaching with the Ottawa Senators. I do like his run and gun style, but he's not available.

1 hour ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Columbus scored 10 goals in 1 game. 

Vancouver scored 16 goals in 11 games.

hmmmm.... WILLY.... BENNING..... where are you???

Columbus scored 10 goals against Montreal 

Canucks scored 0 goals against Montreal

CDC excuse Canucks were up against the top team in the league. Columbus is just 10 times better then the Canucks. That's how far behind this team is in reality.

Benning isn't the problem, with having Sedins contracts makes it really hard to bring in the right players with a salary cap. But Willie on the other hand isn't the right coach for a team that wants to play youth, if anything Willie needs to be gone for a coach who isn't afraid to play youth and let players learn from their mistakes. Especially on a team that is in a rebuild phase, not a team that's winning the Stanley Cup.

Benning has turned this team into a complete embarrassment.

We've been shut-out four out of the last 5 games.  We've looked like the worst team in the league so far - by a long-shot - even when we were winning.  And, there is absolutely no hope on the horizon.  All we have to look forward to is the Sedins becoming irrelevant (they've already started dialing-it-in, so irrelevance can't be too far off).  And, when that happens, we get worse.  A lot worse.  Think it's bad having only one line that can score (well, two-thirds of one line anyways)?  Just wait until it's zero!

Our GM's job isn't to turn us into a lottery winner.  He's been given his marching-orders:  we are to be competitive.  Period.  No matter how delusional and misguided that is.  Yet, his idea of being competitive is making us by far the worst team in the league.  Just imagine how God-awful we'd be if he was ordered to make us tank instead.

Oh yeah, the NHL record for getting shut-out is 20 times in a season.  And, that record was set in 1928/9 when the league's leading-scorer had 32 points on the season.  The modern record is getting shut-out 16 times.

This year, the Canucks are on-pace to get shut-out 30 times!

And, yet, everyone in this thread is saying nothing but how wonderful Benning is...

Archived