The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie and Jim Benning on Hot Seat

TDemko16

Benning is NOT going to be fired as so far he has done a great job with what he came into.Willie just does not seem to be the guy for the job and untill Linden and benning see this,our team will be up and down as he is not consistent moving lines around to much and when one conplains as Jake has he does better and plays harder.So to me the players are letting him know yet he still does not get it.

2 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Play it out until the trade deadline. Re-evaluate Desjardins and see if he is the right guy to ride the season out. Otherwise, interim head coach until seasons end. Head coach search in the offseason.

Bennings seat is safe in my books for at least this season and the next 2. We just have to focus on the future and I get a feeling that the management group are now on board with a full on re-build from the indications and soundbites I have heard recently. Anything other than that is just speculation. 

Bingo

I could see Willie on the hot seat, but I'll be surprised if they fire him. At least any time soon, bringing in another coach isn't likely to turn this ship around. Like Delta said give it til the deadline and re-evaluate. Bottom line is the boys need to score and for whatever reason they just can't seem to do that right now in spite of the fact they're generating chances. And I've actually liked most of Bennings moves, his trades haven't always been great but his drafting has been fantastic. Acquiring Gudbranson was good too. Eriksson remains to be seen, he's better than his point production dictates though. He hasn't been perfect, but no GM is.

Benning seems to only lack trading ability, or experience in that field. Sure he hasn't outright lost any trades, but most have been questionable/decent moves. However, his drafting ability is top-notch, and with experience I'm sure he'll figure out how to fleece other GMs. Thus, he is fine at least until his contract ends.

Why do you people even care what the media parasites say? They make a living off of creating controversy. They thrive off of the doom and gloom predictions. They have less patience than a toddler hopped up on sugar and caffeine. If you would stop paying attention to them they'd be out of a job. Not one ounce of professionalism is shown by these leeches, yet people take what they say as fact and run with it.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Mmmmm TMZ 1040 as the source for all things Nuck

Literally no point firing either of them.  Benning is a decent talent evaluator and who can we hire to replace WD that won't see us finishing in meidocrity

play it out

I somewhat agree in Benning's case.  But I do think they should get him some help in the trading / negotiating department.  As far as WD I think his time is almost up.  I am wondering how close the players are to tuning him out.  If that happens or they keep losing it's time to go.  

I'm too lazy to read this entire thread, but we has a fan base suck. We get mad at management when they try to make the playoffs saying we need to rebuild not retool, and then we get mad at the management when our team is sucking enough that we can actually rebuild through the draft. Have patience for f*cks sake. Benning has been making moves to fill an age gap we didn't have. We need the mid 20s guys, we can't only go after prospects and picks and then have them all come up and be an entire rookie team, they won't win regardless of talent. The prime example is Edmonton who tried to rely on their skilled draft picks like Hall, RNH, Eberle, and Yakupov to get them wins. They have finally started trying to add a more balanced team with experienced guys like Lucic to help their young guys: McDavid, Draisatl and Puljujarvi. So for the canucks, they need Gud, Tanev, Sutter, Baertchi, Horvat (to some degree) to be the guys to help the more skilled prospects we attain in our rebuild through the draft when the Sedins are gone. 

I'm not sure what people would like Benning to do that is actually realistic that would get this team to be a winner. We can't trade the Sedins. We can't just trade for 1st liners that will score now without destroying our future. We need a process and we can't change management through the process. First step was to gain the mid age guys as we had none thanks to Gillis. Now we allow guys like Horvat and Hutton to develop while losing so we can draft in guys like Nolan Patrick that can play 1st line in the future with Boeser. Our Goaltending is in great shape with Markstrom and Demko in the wings. Our Defense is looking to be in good shape for the future, as Gud and Tanev can anchor a d line that will have Hutton, Juolevi, Stecher, hopefully Tryamkin. We have solid 2/3 Centermen in Horvat and Sutter. We have young prospects in Virtanen, Boeser that we can develop into solid wingers. Now we need to suck to get the top line C and hopefully another solid Winger.

The only 2 things I haven't been a fan of for management is the development of Virtanten. He needs to be in the AHL and not rushed in the NHL. And right now the Erickson signing isn't looking to be great, but it is early, and I don't think a signing like that will hurt the team TOO much in the future as we probably won't be needing the full cap as we play more youth on ELC's and and bridge contracts. Plus who knows, maybe we can make him available for Vegas and they will take a chance on a guy like that.

As for coaching, I have not been a fan of WD with the line changes and such. These kids need more consistency to develop. Find the right chemistry for Horvat, Baerchi, Granlund, Sutter and let them work together to build the chemistry more and create long lasting lines we can count on in the future. 

Anyways that's my rant, agree or not, but Benning should not be on any kind of hot seat, and we as fans need to have patience.

Why would either be on the hot seat ? I mean I am not a WD fan, thats just me but from his experience it appears he is the better coach for the younger players moving forward. JB has only this season more so started to see the players he drafted, signed and traded for I mean the plan as I understood it was getting younger, faster, building prospect depth and establishing a new core from the defense out. This is in motion but not anywhere near at a point you remove the GM in mid-plan.

WD I as a fan am confused with some of his decisions and apparent lack of or unwillingness to make in game changes on the fly in a positive way.

More garbage from mushmouth Schekeresch, and just in time to face his Toronto Maple Leafs so he can go full trollage.  How convenient, and I'm sure we'll hear Monday how amazing and clever the Leafs are compared to the sad-sack Canucks.

Right, fire Benning.  Two years into overhauling and rebuilding the team, but results aren't there so turf him out.  How long exactly did he expect this to take?  The Leafs, Oilers, Flames, and Jets have floundered for years but are given all the slack in the world, meanwhile the Canucks are coming off multiple President's Trophy seasons yet are expected to not only bottom out but be back on the rise within a couple years?

Like his buddy "2015 worst draft ever" Pratt, does he even see what's happening?  Maybe he should take a look at some of the prospects we have coming up.  Real 100% blue-chippers in Boeser, Demko, and Juolevi, but also later picks like Lockwood, Gaudette, and McKenzie are looking like possible pro players.  Meanwhile, the other Canadian teams already have most of their top prospects in the NHL and not much in the pipeline.

3 hours ago, Type R said:

Really folks, what do you expect Benning to do?  This team needs to fail to get good.  Yep, Columbus scored 10 goals, Columbus also had how many miserable years to develop their prospect pool?  Same with Edmonton, same with Toronton, same with Chicago, same with...... We are just about to hit the bottom, we are NOT just coming out of it.  We have to be realistic, we hired an ELITE level talent guy and a developmental coach who is learning the NHL as he goes (with the young core).  Its pretty obvious the TL and the owners had a few rough years in mind when they put this together.  Brace yourselves folks and grab the vasoline, because the coming 2-3 years are going to hurt a little.

This being said, I do think we are in an interesting position.  With the expansion draft looming, teams are going to have to assess their asset pool and make some tough decisions on who to expose and who to trade for picks and futures because they don't want to lose their assets for nothing.  This may allow us to fast track our team a touch because you have to believe there will be a team or two with too much talent, and who are unwilling to let their talent be available for nothing.  We are sitting presently with 2 second rounders I believe, which to me means a shot at 2 decent roster players.

Sorry for the long winded post, but honestly man, I'm a huge Canucks fan, I have TL's farewell photo sitting beside me here in my office, and even I know that this team has to suffer before it succeeds.

I said in a previous post that, yes, we should realistically expect to suck for 5 years.  You only get better by sucking for a while.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Columbus scored 10 goals against Montreal 

Canucks scored 0 goals against Montreal

CDC excuse Canucks were up against the top team in the league. Columbus is just 10 times better then the Canucks. That's how far behind this team is in reality.

Benning isn't the problem, with having Sedins contracts makes it really hard to bring in the right players with a salary cap. But Willie on the other hand isn't the right coach for a team that wants to play youth, if anything Willie needs to be gone for a coach who isn't afraid to play youth and let players learn from their mistakes. Especially on a team that is in a rebuild phase, not a team that's winning the Stanley Cup.

Big difference between playing arguably the greatest player in the game, and his backup.. But good points otherwise :)

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Columbus scored 10 goals against Montreal 

Canucks scored 0 goals against Montreal

CDC excuse Canucks were up against the top team in the league. Columbus is just 10 times better then the Canucks. That's how far behind this team is in reality.

Benning isn't the problem, with having Sedins contracts makes it really hard to bring in the right players with a salary cap. But Willie on the other hand isn't the right coach for a team that wants to play youth, if anything Willie needs to be gone for a coach who isn't afraid to play youth and let players learn from their mistakes. Especially on a team that is in a rebuild phase, not a team that's winning the Stanley Cup.

lol You sir are out of your mind. This is what a rebuild looks like in a transition year, suck it up. Columbus after all those years of suck are at least supposed to be a playoff team. We have some great prospects and 3 blue-chippers with more to come. Also Price and Montoya cannot be compared, nice try though.

Archived