The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows spear on Reilly, acceptable?

Mathew Barzal

So.  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been thinking about the game for the last little while and something I can't seem to wrap my head around is the acceptance for that spear Burrows pulled after Reilly's CLEAN hit on Hansen.

Is that the kind of actions we should be condoning and supporting from a role model for a lot of our younger players? I understand that the game had a LOT of bite and emotions were high. But this wasn't a heat of the moment spear, it was pre-meditated. Something he went out of his way to do.

I can respect Hansen for jumping Kadri.

I can respect Miller for jumping Martin.

Those two players were out of line.

Reilly simply made a big hit, the most that should of come out of that was fight. A spear to the gut is pathetic IMO and is part of the identity we've spent the last five years trying to shed. I don't even think Dorsett is capable of stooping that low.

Burrows is a disgrace and i want him off our club.....

I don't like guys that don't respect the code.  Burrows has no class.

I would rather have Pedan on the 4th than Burrows....

Bring on the minuses. I could care less.  So sick of Burrows giving our club a reputation as cheap. 

Burrows needs to stop the biting, inappropriate trash talk , spearing  crap.  Go Old School if you want to sort guys out....

Really hockey fans want tough hockey players  not cheap hockey players. 

4 minutes ago, TU90 said:

Was the hit not super late accordingly to NHL rules? Haven't looked at it again but remember thinking it was dirty.

What are the rules? It looked to be about 1-2 seconds after the puck left Hansen.

This is all I could find...

Possession of the Puck: The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

Reilly's hit was a blindside, late and unnecessary hit considering that the Leafs were up 5-2, like Cherry said. Hansen never even touched the puck with his stick, he deflected the pass from Stecher off his skate to Daniel barely having it for a fraction of a second.

Burrows should be fined for the spear but Reilly should not of made that hit. Would of been content with just a fight or a late hit on Reilly.

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Reilly's hit was a blindside, late and unnecessary considering that the Leafs were up 5-2, like Cherry said. Hansen never even touched the puck with his stick, he deflected the pass from Stecher off his skate to Daniel barely having it for a fraction of a second.

Burrows should be fined for the spear but Reilly should not of made that hit. Would of been content with just a fight or a late hit on Reilly.

Agreed. I don't  like to see the spear, to  me that is cowards pay back.

I would prefer to see  a payback hit, even late hit or fight.....

reilly's hit was blindside, and as junkyard dog quoted cherry, there was no need for that. if you really wanted to hurt the canucks, just run up the score, like whatever but when you give a late hit in a pretty lopsided game, you're asking for trouble. as for the spear, he did a great job at not taking a penalty for that, so i'll give him that xD

if the leafs want to take liberties in a lopsided game, against a team that's lost 7 straight, tempers will boil over. i have no problem with it

Just now, coastal.view said:

um

seems to me burrows truly was off balance and falling

hard to see how he intended to spear

his left leg bounces up a bit before his "fall"

i doubt he could have planned all that

looks like a legit slip to me

burrows is a very crafty dude, if you remember his earlier years :3

1 minute ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Heh if you want payback no need for the spear.  Just confront , drop the gloves and go from their.

There is a right way to take care of business. Burrows is seen around the league as being cheap.  Burrows simply needs to follow the code and take care of business the right way...

1 minute ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i agree with you

but look at his left leg just before he "slips"

it bounces a bit and indicates a bit of loss of control

and he'd have to time it so that the slip positions him in exactly the spot he ends up in to do the spear

i'm skeptical of that

too many variables in play to allow that in my view

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Heh if you want payback no need for the spear.  Just confront , drop the gloves and go from their.

There is a right way to take care of business. Burrows is seen around the league as being cheap.  Burrows simply needs to follow the code and take care of business the right way...

they already fought, and it was a cute little wrestling match. you have to understand that burrows is a natural pest but i've never really seen that he's this huge POS around the league. sure, he did this thing in the finals, but who cares. he'll get under guys' skin and get some cheap shots in, but who in hockey doesn't. i get that you don't like the guy, but to call him classless and a disgrace isn't being objective

It wasn't acceptable, but I get why he did it.. Kadri was already gone and he wanted to inflict something on someone... team mentality.. shot for shot... blahblahblah... 

It was pretty harmless, and I think it's being blown out of proportion, but it was still dirty. He'll probably get a game for it.

Lmao gthoutta here, people are so soft. 

Our team gets shat on and Burrows gives a little love tap and that's what you're concerned about? 

...here, lemme ask you this: was the Kadri hit on Dank acceptable? How about Rielly hitting Hansen before leading up to that? What about Martin hitting Gaunce from behind at the beginning of the game? And thoughts on Martin dropping the gloves and targeting our weakest player who turns out is a rookie in just his 4th NHL game?

Let me answer that for you: no. And those were all above and beyond what Burrows did so in comparison, yes what Burrows did *IN RETALITATION* is acceptable. 

Cmon grow a you know what. This is hockey, not soccer. We were the victims, not the other way around so stop trying to make it like we were the aggressors.

Burrows just being Burrows. Always has been and always will be a POS. 

It's hilarious how he acts tough with a young non fighter and still doesn't manage to get a single punch in and gets thrown down. 

Can't wait till he's gone. 

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

Burrows just being Burrows. Always has been and always will be a POS. 

It's hilarious how he acts tough with a young non fighter and still doesn't manage to get a single punch in and gets thrown down. 

Can't wait till he's gone. 

Please, tell us how you really feel.

Archived