The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows spear on Reilly, acceptable?

Mathew Barzal

So.  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The NHL players are so soft today it's embarrassing. You kids no nothing about real hockey players back in the day when enforcers had to be there to protect they're players.

This subtle stick work and dancing around now is such a joke, it's embarrassing to even watch.

If a wimp like Matt Martin, had to face Geno Odjeck in the day, he would have pissed himself. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Everything was an expected consequence to a previous action, except for the goon attacking Stecher.  That had no reason for happening.  

That is Martin showing how tough he is, going off on a smaller rookie who did not know he was coming. Pathetic.

5 minutes ago, smokes said:

That is Martin showing how tough he is, going off on a smaller rookie who did not know he was coming. Pathetic.

Yup.  Burr faced up to Reilly.  Hansen faced up to Kadri.  I really didn't expect any more bopping after the Burr Reilly fight.  I think everyone, including the players on both teams, was shocked at what Martin did.  His actions just made no sense.  Guys have mates around the league.  I wouldn't be too surprised if Martin gets forced to bop in some of his coming games.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Burr faced up to Reilly.  Hansen faced up to Kadri.  I really didn't expect any more bopping after the Burr Reilly fight.  I think everyone, including the players on both teams, was shocked at what Martin did.  His actions just made no sense.  Guys have mates around the league.  I wouldn't be too surprised if Martin gets forced to bop in some of his coming games.  

Next game, Guddy or Tryamking is going to have this guy for breakfast.

Just now, Chris12345 said:

I don't care if the hit was late or not. Act like a man and don't spear, pull hair, or bite.

Skate up to Riley and fight him or in Burrow's case wrestle like 2 toddlers. Case closed.

Did you watch the game? Reilly started it with the cheapshot on Hansen. Burrows was goading Reilly to answer the bell multiple times and Reilly basically acted like the turtle that he is and hid in his shell. Burrows goes to fight Rielly and Reilly wrestles him down because he he was do chicken to stand up like a man. How can you defend the guy? 

Just now, smokes said:

Did you watch the game? Reilly started it with the cheapshot on Hansen. Burrows was goading Reilly to answer the bell multiple times and Reilly basically acted like the turtle that he is and hid in his shell. Burrows goes to fight Rielly and Reilly wrestles him down because he he was do chicken to stand up like a man. How can you defend the guy? 

No I didn't watch it full disclosure haha just the highlights. PVRd it  but not home yet.

The hit was bad but don't spear players. That moves for cowards and Brad Marchand.

Just now, smokes said:

I'll be there with my beer and peanuts.B)

I usually don't get too worked up watching games, but that Martin attack on Stecher got me wanting to bop the goon.  Pedan, Guddy, and Tryamkin had ALL better be in the lineup that game.  

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

No I didn't watch it full disclosure haha just the highlights. PVRd it  but not home yet.

The hit was bad but don't spear players. That moves for cowards and Brad Marchand.

No running from a fight like Reily did was for cowards. And ok Burrows should not have speared him, he should have baseball batted him in the face.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I usually don't get too worked up watching games, but that Martin attack on Stecher got me wanting to bop the goon.  Pedan, Guddy, and Tryamkin had ALL better be in the lineup that game.  

absolutely, it's perfect, three periods, three fights.

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Agreed.  But Burr was attempting to get Reilly to fight, and his act was a poke.  It got magnified because Reilly skated away, not wanting to fight, and skated into the stick.  

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Burr was most likely trying to get Reilly to fight, and Reilly kept saying no.  The so called spear was a clumsy attempt at a poke to get a fight started.  Reilly knew exactly what was coming, but didn't want to fight, so he skated away, making the spear worse.  

Reilly will be forced to square off in the December game.  He will have to bop.  If he doesn't, and just wrestles, then he will continue to get speared, slashed, and stuff like that.  He has to bop.

he will pull a Steve Moore

25 minutes ago, smokes said:

No running from a fight like Reily did was for cowards. And ok Burrows should not have speared him, he should have baseball batted him in the face.

I thought Riley's hit was clean just like Aaron Rome's. I  haven't watched it much though. Riley shouldn't have to defend himself for making a body check.

I'll watch it again though and could change my opinion. 

Baseball bat in the face....interesting. Have you ever brought a bat to hockey?

Archived