The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows spear on Reilly, acceptable?

Mathew Barzal

So.  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I thought Riley's hit was clean just like Aaron Rome's. I  haven't watched it much though. Riley shouldn't have to defend himself for making a body check.

I'll watch it again though and could change my opinion. 

Baseball bat in the face....interesting. Have you ever brought a bat to hockey?

Leafs fan?

Trying to be non-homer...

Burrows spear looked like a last second decision but intentional- maybe a fine or 1 game suspension at most

Reilly hit on Hansen timing looked close enough after the puck left his skate but was an intentional blind side hit- a little dirty but Sbisa and fellow canucks of the past have done the same without suspension.

Kadri hit better get 5-10 games form the league for that piece of sh#t. 

Martin showed how gutless he is and deserves a 2 game suspension for a cowardly act.

Millers tackle on Martin should have garnered him 1st star! 

So if you spear someone you're a disgrace...

But hitting someone in the head is ok because it's part of the code? 

Ex players are literally blowing their brains out because concussions have messed them up but a spear is worse than a headshot?

What a joke.  I hope Burrows spears him again next game. 

Rielly got what he deserved.  In normal situations, what Burrows did would have been atrocious.  In context, however, it was just sending a message that needed sending.  Could have elbowed him in the face on a flyby, but this is just as effective and much less likely to cause injury.  It will hurt, though, and teach a good lesson.  Hopefully Rielly got the message and needs no further instruction on how the game is played.

As another poster in another thread said, Rielly's hit was faaar worse than the hit last year that got Virtanen suspended for two games.  The leagues player safety guys are unbelievably ignorant incompetent fools with their lack of consistency and basic understanding of what is dangerous on the ice.  Their Sh**ty decisions make the league a more dangerous place.  If Virtanen's hit last year was 2 games, Rielly's is 10 and Kadri's is 30.

Burrows unintentionally, intentionally speared Rielly. I do not condone it, but there really was no reason for Rielly to try and destroy Hansen at that point in the game. All that did was turn the game into a WWE main event. Having played hockey, I do understand where Burr was coming from and have even been guilty myself and trying to exact revenge, although it was more of taking a number and trying to lay a huge check or drop the gloves. Spearing was never in my arsenal.

12 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I've been thinking about the game for the last little while and something I can't seem to wrap my head around is the acceptance for that spear Burrows pulled after Reilly's CLEAN hit on Hansen.

Is that the kind of actions we should be condoning and supporting from a role model for a lot of our younger players? I understand that the game had a LOT of bite and emotions were high. But this wasn't a heat of the moment spear, it was pre-meditated. Something he went out of his way to do.

I can respect Hansen for jumping Kadri.

I can respect Miller for jumping Martin.

Those two players were out of line.

Reilly simply made a big hit, the most that should of come out of that was fight. A spear to the gut is pathetic IMO and is part of the identity we've spent the last five years trying to shed. I don't even think Dorsett is capable of stooping that low.

Go stick your TO sweater. I hope Burr broke his rib. 

I can't condone a spear like that (even though I want the Leafs to pay for their actions).  However, at least Burrows was pushing back instead of lying down.  Neither the refs nor the league have any intent to protect our players so we have no choice but to protect our own.  It is far from ideal but it is what it is.  GCG!

Archived