The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows spear on Reilly, acceptable?

Mathew Barzal

So.  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

W

24 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Shut up idiot. I want you off our fan base. Too many giant pussies full of flowers and lollipops. So sick of people like you. A classic case of the panzification of our society. Weak and useless!

Internet tough guy.  Wow.  Fans like you give our club a bad image across the league. 

13 hours ago, LaBamba said:

2 wrong don't make it right, however, Alex Burrows is awesome. 

He has produced some amazing, awesome moments for the Canucks and has been a great team player.  But I've also seen him instigate and then back down from a heck of a lot of fights, and also do crap like this far too many times.  Safe to say, if he was on any other team, I'd be calling him a rat. 

5 minutes ago, jimmyking8888 said:

Burrows did what he had to do.  I don't see anything wrong with Burrows.  When other team is playing low, you go lower.   I did have a problem with Refs jumping in fights before it's done.

Too funny.  You are justifying Burrows cowardly cheap act by  trying to claim   " HE HAD TO DO IT ".

Not true.    Burrows and the entire Canuck team had plenty of ways of holding Kadr accountable for his action.  Spears and Slew Foots are not needed in our game.  Players that behave in this manner should be suspended out of the league. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Too funny.  You are justifying Burrows cowardly cheap act by  trying to claim   " HE HAD TO DO IT ".

Not true.    Burrows and the entire Canuck team had plenty of ways of holding Kadr accountable for his action.  Spears and Slew Foots are not needed in our game.  Players that behave in this manner should be suspended out of the league. 

Doesn't matter if it was cowardly or non cowardly, A lesson had to be taught . A message had to be sent out not only to Toronto but to the league,  star players can't be touched.  I mean what do the Canucks have to lose this year?  This is a perfect year for them to sent out messages. 

On Saturday, November 05, 2016 at 11:30 PM, Mathew Barzal said:

I've been thinking about the game for the last little while and something I can't seem to wrap my head around is the acceptance for that spear Burrows pulled after Reilly's CLEAN hit on Hansen.

Is that the kind of actions we should be condoning and supporting from a role model for a lot of our younger players? I understand that the game had a LOT of bite and emotions were high. But this wasn't a heat of the moment spear, it was pre-meditated. Something he went out of his way to do.

I can respect Hansen for jumping Kadri.

I can respect Miller for jumping Martin.

Those two players were out of line.

Reilly simply made a big hit, the most that should of come out of that was fight. A spear to the gut is pathetic IMO and is part of the identity we've spent the last five years trying to shed. I don't even think Dorsett is capable of stooping that low.

I love Burrows!  He is reacting to the situation... it happens.  The world is like this.  

On 2016-11-05 at 11:40 PM, Mathew Barzal said:

I remember when they suspended Rome in 2011, they stated 0.5 seconds after a player has released the puck, it is a "late hit". Rome's hit was 1 full second after Horton released the puck and that got him 4 games of the Stanley Cup Finals. Watch any hockey game and compare the late hits to that of Aaron Rome and you'll realize the league makes up the rules as they go along to favor certain teams and keep certain teams down.

Rome's hit, suspended entirely based on lateness of hit:

Spoiler

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

This kind of thinking was what made the Canucks lose the cup to the Bruins after the Rome hit.

15 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Acceptable? Desirable.

You had it other way around. Boston played angry after the Rome hit and they won the Cup.

Boston got angrier and knocked the hell out of the Canucks. The Canucks lost because they got soft and that was what I wanted to say to the other guy. Eye for an Eye

I just watched the clip again, the replay, and the one thing I noticed immediately is the broadcaster immediately said Burrows "made it look like he was falling to get the stick up in the chest of Reilly. It's hard to think it's a coincidence ..."

Had the broadcaster not said that, how would the incident be interpreted?

The hit with Hansen I'm OK with. Yes, it sucked. Yes he's injured because of it but it is what it is. If we still replay and laud Willie Mitchell for the hit he delivered to Toews years ago, then this is fair game. I don't think Hansen went after Rielly after the hit either so I would assume he probably deemed it a clean hit.

In regards to Burr, I love Burr but that wasn't necessary. I understood why he did it but he shouldn't have. On a much lesser scale you can compare to the Kadri hit on Sedin with intent to injure a star player. Remember what Martin Hanzal did to Hank? Kinda along similar lines there.

I just hope no one does anything stupid on Dec 3rd. I'm sure Guddy will take care of his business but other than that they just need to finish their checks. They got a lot of smaller skilled players on their end so just do the damage within the confines of the game. Not worth it to jeopardize your season even more for a team that you only see twice a year.

Lost in all this was the toe drag goal that Danny scored. Kadri's an idiot. I'm sure a lot of teams are put on alert now.

Archived