Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gudbranson utters threats; fine/suspension worthy?


CAkNUCKle sandwich

Recommended Posts

I was incredibly incensed while hearing of this event on the radio while driving and was legitimately worried that my emotions would affect my driving.

 

That said, Gudbranson went just a bit too far in this case. I daresay that if the League has any sort of prudence that they suspend Martin for just that December 3 game. It's hard for me to say though, as I'd love for Martin to be creamed (in a clean hit) and destroyed (in a fair fight).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Rey said:

We acquired Gudbranson to do this sort of thing but he alone isn't enough. Ryan Miller had to be guy protecting Stretcher? What a joke. Team is a mess. 

 

I'm assuming you watched the play and if so, you should notice that not only did Miller go after Martin right away, but Hutton and Sutter were there very shortly after. This was not a case of the team being chicken too stand up for a teammate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

 

I'm assuming you watched the play and if so, you should notice that not only did Miller go after Martin right away, but Hutton and Sutter were there very shortly after. This was not a case of the team being chicken too stand up for a teammate.

 

His point is the Canucks have no one to actually stand up to a heavy like Martin. Shoving and pushing/grappling in a pile like Hutton and Sutter does nothing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Good to see that fire from Guddy, but he is getting a little ahead of himself. Martin isn't some small unknown fighter. He is 6'3 220 and has 77 fights in the NHL, many of them against legitimate heavies. 

 

This is the problem with not having a guy whose main job it is to fight and has the ability to take on the big boys. 

 

Guddy is a top 4 guy (top 2 atm) and losing him for 5 minutes and potential injury isn't worth it. 

 

If the Stanley Cup Champion Pens carry and play Sestito, Vancouver should follow. 

Just cause Gudbranson can play hockey doesn't mean he can't fight. He's tough dude and he's going to break Martin in half in the next game.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The Weasel said:

Just cause Gudbranson can play hockey doesn't mean he can't fight. He's tough dude and he's going to break Martin in half in the next game.  

 

When did I say he wasn't tough or can't fight? Guddy is a tougher player, but he isn't a designated fighter and he isn't going to have an easy time against an established enforcer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Good to see that fire from Guddy, but he is getting a little ahead of himself. Martin isn't some small unknown fighter. He is 6'3 220 and has 77 fights in the NHL, many of them against legitimate heavies. 

 

This is the problem with not having a guy whose main job it is to fight and has the ability to take on the big boys. 

 

Guddy is a top 4 guy (top 2 atm) and losing him for 5 minutes and potential injury isn't worth it. 

 

If the Stanley Cup Champion Pens carry and play Sestito, Vancouver should follow. 

Ryper would've fought him....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

 

His point is the Canucks have no one to actually stand up to a heavy like Martin. Shoving and pushing/grappling in a pile like Hutton and Sutter does nothing. 

And  Rick rypien was just a lil dude. ask Hal gill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

 

When did I say he wasn't tough or can't fight? Guddy is a tougher player, but he isn't a designated fighter and he isn't going to have an easy time against an established enforcer. 

I think Gudbranson is going to kick the living $&!# out of him, but that's just me. I've seen him fight. Gudbranson knows what's up. I'll pass on having some scrub in the lineup that can play hockey and just comes and fights every once in awhile, especially when we have someone like gudbranson that can deal with it effectively. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, hearditall said:

Ryper would've fought him....

 

He sure would have. He fought bigger guys than Martin too. However, very few have the same fighting technique, skill and ability. The only player currently active (although in the minors) who has a similar boxing skill level is Brett Gallant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Lol guys more upset that a guy went after Stecher then Kadri headshotting Daniel.

Sure, Stetcher has a future, Daniel only has a past - the same past a lot of Canuck fans are living in.

Though, to put it in perspective, Kadri was raking guys in the head with his stick all game with nary a whisper from the officials - who could even be slightly surprised that the game escalated into a line brawl.  Kadri is just about as big a weasel as Matte Cooke was (including when he played for the Canucks).  In addition, the correct response to the beating Stetcher was being given, was to kick the crap our of Mathews, and the correct response for the head shot to Hansen was to head shot Mathews, and the correct response to the head shot on Sedin, was to head shot Mathews.  Exactly the worst response was to go after a weasel or a thug - that is just stupidity and gets you nothing - they try to hurt your guys, you go after the other team's talent - Mathews, Marner, and Nylander.  Doesn't take long for the coaches (and the league and referees) to figure it out - when they see what happens when they hand out cheap shots, they soon learn to police their benches.

The alternative to that is for the NHL to abolish the instigator rule - when there is an attempt to injure like the shots on Sedin and on Hansen (and I mean that for any team) - deliberate attempt to injure, like those, you are on your own - then you would see who is truly brave.  Pieces of crap like Kadri would learn to behave in a heartbeat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Weasel said:

I think Gudbranson is going to kick the living $&!# out of him, but that's just me. I've seen him fight. Gudbranson knows what's up. 

 

I've seen everyone of Gudbransons fights. No question he can throw hands. Feel free to bring this thread back up, it will be closer than you think. 

 

Edit: Guddy against a legitimate heavy the same size as him:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

And  Rick rypien was just a lil dude. ask Hal gill

1. Elite boxing ability. 

 

2. Hal Gill was a complete non fighter and basically a gentle giant.  

 

There is no relative comparison here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It's heresay until you have an actual video-audio tape coverage of what was actually said and who said it. Otherwise its gossip and speculation..probably a TO reporter getting his rocks off.

 

It's not a big shock. Players get emotional and fired up after games heading back to the room...even McJesus....

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

1. Elite boxing ability. 

 

2. Hal Gill was a complete non fighter and basically a gentle giant.  

 

There is no relative comparison here. 

Rypien knew he was going to win  when he fought.he was an angry dude that was hungry for it. guddy says that Martin is dead? I believe it! I've been that guy pissed off as all hell and fought the guy who was thought to be tougher. he was on his heals and then his ass in no time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It's heresay until you have an actual video-audio tape coverage of what was actually said and who said it. Otherwise its gossip and speculation..probably a TO reporter getting his rocks off.

And that should pretty much be what will determine whether or not there's a fine. There's already very clear precedent for how the league responds to these things.

 

Any kind of death threats, either verbal or through gestures, where there's actually tangible evidence of the act (as in having a video or audio recording) have been met with the maximum $5000 fine. This was the case with the Kadri throat slashing gesture to Giordano.

 

And threats where hearsay is the only evidence (like Lucic reportly saying "I'm gonna F'n kill you" in the handshake line after the series versus Montreal) have not resulted in any form of supplemental discipline.

 

So it'll probably come down to whether or not any reporters had their cameras or audio recorders turned on when Gudbranson allegedly uttered the threat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gudbranson is starting to look like a paper tiger to me, the time to make his move or do whatever was in the game. The leafs took it to us

in every conceivable way. They came in they wanted it more they dominated, they won. Tryamkin needed to be more present that night

as well but his young still. Gudbranson needs to let his game do ALL the talking right now, after we got crushed like that I don't care what

comes out of his mouth, I want to see it on the ice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...