The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nazim Kadri wont be suspended for his hit on D.Sedin

AriGold

Just now, Patrick Kane said:

Voicing an opinion, and this is what people will say in retaliation. Gutless.

The NHL didn't suspend him... Clearly they think the same.

Since you won't respond to me, I will link this again

The NHL's 10-member Competition Committee Friday voted to propose a five-minute major penalty and a game misconduct be given to any player guilty of delivering a lateral or blindside hit where the head is the intentional point of contact. 

This follows the general managers' unanimous 30-0 vote taken earlier this month at their meeting in Philadelphia to implement the same penalty starting next season.

Before the proposed rule becomes official, however, the NHL Players' Association’s board and the NHL’s Board of Governors have to approve. Both will meet next week, with the NHLPA’s 30 union reps convening Monday and the Board of Governors meeting in Los Angeles Thursday.

NHL Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell told NHL.com the NHLPA’s reps have to give approval that the five players on the Competition Committee are authorized to propose such a rule to the Board of Governors. He is told that should be a mere formality.

The players in the Competition Committee meeting Friday were Mathieu Schneider, Mike Commodore, David Backes, Chris Clark and Ryan Miller.

"We jumped a hurdle, but we have to get around the puddle before we jump the last hurdle," Campbell said. "[The players at the meeting] said it should be no problem, we just have to get it rubber stamped. The PA has to accept it and I understand it has to go back to their whole group of 700 players (to get approval)."

The Board of Governors has the authority to make rule changes no matter if they are recommended by the GMs or the Competition Committee, but the feeling is that as long as the NHLPA goes forward on this and the GMs remain steadfast in wanting the rule that the Board will grant its final approval Thursday, putting the rule into effect starting next season.

The Board already approved in March making these blindside hits to the head punishable by supplemental discipline. 

Hits to the head became a topic during the season stemming from Mike Richards' hit on David Booth on Oct. 24 and Matt Cooke’s shot on Marc Savard on March 7. Nothing written in the rulebook suggested Campbell could take action on such hits, but with approval those types of hits would now be penalized by the on-ice officials and subject to supplemental discipline.

"My hope and my expectation is that the Competition Committee would recommend this on behalf of the players and that it would receive Board approval," said Toronto GM and President Brian Burke, who attended the Competition Committee Friday, along with fellow GMs Ken Holland, Jim Rutherford and David Poile, plus Flyers owner Ed Snider.

If approved, Campbell said the League will have to "instruct the referees and the players on what we’re doing now. They need to know before the first exhibition game."

In other business, the Competition Committee approved new rules on form-fitting goaltender equipment and playing the Heritage Classic at McMahon Stadium in Calgary on Feb. 20 between the Flames and Montreal Canadiens, but that is also subject to approval by the NHLPA. 

The NHL will release the schedule for the 2010-11 season on Tuesday.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=532031

What is your definition of a lateral or blindside hit again?  not speaking of principal point of contact, but lateral and blindside as well as prior record

5 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Because in the nhl's mind a subsequent head shot doesn't matter because if it wasn't hit first then it's not deemed principle head contact . Matthews will be a marked man December cause of this though . 

I hope he gets hit the same way and we watch a canuck player get suspended. 

Anyways we'll be so far behind the playoff race in December that we can focus on making a point to the league and leafs instead of winning.

Just now, AriGold said:

Sedins aren't top 1% anymore.

It's not worth your time to argue with him. I don't think I've ever seen him say something positive about the Canucks

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Kadri IS a repeat offender.  Would this suspension be too heavy for little precious?  Kadri is one of those entitled untouchables.  Good going NHL.  That's how you get predatory play out of the league.  If justice isn't seen to be done, you're asking for vigilantism.  Thumbs up Bettman.  You're in charge.  

That's the thing though, Kadri isn't one of the untouchables and they still let him off.

The NHL had two chances to ease this situation.  1)  Give the Canucks a power play after this predatory hit.  Ref's couldn't do that as they were forced to throw the book at Hansen because of an instigator rule that gets used too often.  And 2) (the easy one) Suspend Kadri, even for 3 games.

NHL failed miserably at both attempts and the result will be a rightfully pissed off Canuck team that is going to go ape bleep.  I predict some more 7 minute 5 on 3's in the future to further penalize the Canucks for having the audacity to protect their players when, clearly, no one else will.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Since you won't respond to me, I will link this again

The NHL's 10-member Competition Committee Friday voted to propose a five-minute major penalty and a game misconduct be given to any player guilty of delivering a lateral or blindside hit where the head is the intentional point of contact. 

This follows the general managers' unanimous 30-0 vote taken earlier this month at their meeting in Philadelphia to implement the same penalty starting next season.

Before the proposed rule becomes official, however, the NHL Players' Association’s board and the NHL’s Board of Governors have to approve. Both will meet next week, with the NHLPA’s 30 union reps convening Monday and the Board of Governors meeting in Los Angeles Thursday.

NHL Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell told NHL.com the NHLPA’s reps have to give approval that the five players on the Competition Committee are authorized to propose such a rule to the Board of Governors. He is told that should be a mere formality.

The players in the Competition Committee meeting Friday were Mathieu Schneider, Mike Commodore, David Backes, Chris Clark and Ryan Miller.

"We jumped a hurdle, but we have to get around the puddle before we jump the last hurdle," Campbell said. "[The players at the meeting] said it should be no problem, we just have to get it rubber stamped. The PA has to accept it and I understand it has to go back to their whole group of 700 players (to get approval)."

The Board of Governors has the authority to make rule changes no matter if they are recommended by the GMs or the Competition Committee, but the feeling is that as long as the NHLPA goes forward on this and the GMs remain steadfast in wanting the rule that the Board will grant its final approval Thursday, putting the rule into effect starting next season.

The Board already approved in March making these blindside hits to the head punishable by supplemental discipline. 

Hits to the head became a topic during the season stemming from Mike Richards' hit on David Booth on Oct. 24 and Matt Cooke’s shot on Marc Savard on March 7. Nothing written in the rulebook suggested Campbell could take action on such hits, but with approval those types of hits would now be penalized by the on-ice officials and subject to supplemental discipline.

"My hope and my expectation is that the Competition Committee would recommend this on behalf of the players and that it would receive Board approval," said Toronto GM and President Brian Burke, who attended the Competition Committee Friday, along with fellow GMs Ken Holland, Jim Rutherford and David Poile, plus Flyers owner Ed Snider.

If approved, Campbell said the League will have to "instruct the referees and the players on what we’re doing now. They need to know before the first exhibition game."

In other business, the Competition Committee approved new rules on form-fitting goaltender equipment and playing the Heritage Classic at McMahon Stadium in Calgary on Feb. 20 between the Flames and Montreal Canadiens, but that is also subject to approval by the NHLPA. 

The NHL will release the schedule for the 2010-11 season on Tuesday.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=532031

What is your definition of a lateral or blindside hit again?  not speaking of principal point of contact, but lateral and blindside as well as prior record

I dont know what else needs to be said after this post?  Isnt it obvious? Or do we have to bring out crayons and start drawing pictures?

6 minutes ago, Patrick Kane said:

Voicing an opinion, and this is what people will say in retaliation. Gutless.

The NHL didn't suspend him... Clearly they think the same.

It's a gutless blindsider.  They're ok in your books, remember?   (Just for some perspective here)

The principle point of contact is the problem here. So if you graze the shoulder first before hitting the head it's ok?

it was blindside and he left his feet but he grazed the shoulder before hitting the head.

am I the only one who finds this stupid?

5 minutes ago, captaincowbasher said:

Canucks are not built to be able to defend themselves, too passive, too small, too slow

Heh, vicitim blaming much?

But as said before in a different thread, want to draw out TO for a fight?  Don't chase them, take liberties on Matthews, Marner, and Nylander then TO will come to you.

10 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

That not only ended a player's career, but ruined their life. You really want to wish this on someone? 

Nobody is wishing that on anybody,   He is stating that the League never did anything after Moore hit Naslund with an illegal hit a few days previous.  The league does not understand that it could have protected the Player in question by giving him the discipline for the hit.

Rather they allowed the player to be on the ice to face that same opposing team.

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

The principle point of contact is the problem here. So if you graze the shoulder first before hitting the head it's ok?

it was blindside and he left his feet but he grazed the shoulder before hitting the head.

am I the only one who finds this stupid?

I think we have something new to focus on in practice....

Archived