The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do I start? I want to start playing ice hockey

apollo

Apollo depending on your location there is a program call Discover Hockey, I believe the one in B.C. is in Richmond. Fantastic program, they teach you everything from skating to zone break outs when you're defending. Highly recommend it if you are in that area.

Discoverhockey.com

If you are looking for a rink, I have one for sale. Just over a million bucks and you can have all the free ice time you want. Virtanen trained on the skate mil, 70% NHL size and lots of fun. It would pay for itself in leased ice time when you were too busy to practice. You would need to get a zamboni as the previous one was repo'd when the owner stopped paying his bills. 

Aside from that, Terrible Dee is right. Take some skate lessons first. Discover Hockey is great, make sure you want to play hockey before throwing money at it. 

Hey buddy there is actually a ton of drop-ins  being run throughout the Vancouver Area. I would recommend you make a hockey community account and let it be known that you are a beginner trying to find a weekly drop-in group to play some puck. I would recommend you get some used gear before you commit to buying everything brand new just in case you decide hockey isn't for you. Things you would be new would be like Jock, Mouth Guard.. most stuff either used or new if you have money to burn.

55 minutes ago, WillyFox said:

Hey buddy there is actually a ton of drop-ins  being run throughout the Vancouver Area. I would recommend you make a hockey community account and let it be known that you are a beginner trying to find a weekly drop-in group to play some puck. I would recommend you get some used gear before you commit to buying everything brand new just in case you decide hockey isn't for you. Things you would be new would be like Jock, Mouth Guard.. most stuff either used or new if you have money to burn.

New helmet as well. Some of my gear no human would dare put on. 

3 hours ago, Sedinery33 said:

Apollo depending on your location there is a program call Discover Hockey, I believe the one in B.C. is in Richmond. Fantastic program, they teach you everything from skating to zone break outs when you're defending. Highly recommend it if you are in that area.

Discoverhockey.com

This website looks great... thanks! 

2 hours ago, Realtor Rod said:

If you are looking for a rink, I have one for sale. Just over a million bucks and you can have all the free ice time you want. Virtanen trained on the skate mil, 70% NHL size and lots of fun. It would pay for itself in leased ice time when you were too busy to practice. You would need to get a zamboni as the previous one was repo'd when the owner stopped paying his bills. 

Aside from that, Terrible Dee is right. Take some skate lessons first. Discover Hockey is great, make sure you want to play hockey before throwing money at it. 

Think I should first get myself a condo, then maybe a rink ;)

54 minutes ago, WillyFox said:

This website looks great, I'll definitely be using it. It's this right? https://hockey-community.com/ 

Was hoping to get a used Dale Weise jockstrap hahah :lol:

10 hours ago, Derp... said:

Check out the adult coed hockey lessons through north van rec. Every weekend on Sundays, it's for beginners, but you basically go through a 45 min practise and then scrimmage for 15. That's how I started on North Shore at age 22. I couldn't skate or stick handle very well though in the beginning. Skating has come a long way and I keep my head up way more from practising doing that. 

Might be too low level for you with your history, but there's also a drop in on Sunday nights later too I think for anyone to come and play. Usually around $15-$20 per session.

Nice, this rink isn't too far off from me... I'm in west van. So for something like stick and puck, I can just go in with skates, helmet and a stick + puck? Looks like they have it on Friday. I don't think anything would be too low level for me, I'm really bad on ice lol... not sure how quickly my road hockey skills will translate 

------------

@ Everyone else... thanks for all the great advice... couldn't quote everyone! I'm pumped, really excited! 

4 hours ago, nucklehead said:

You start by calling it by its real Canadian name.

Hockey. 

This.

Hockey needs no modifier. Field hockey, Roller hockey, Table hockey....those are the pretenders and the ones requiring an adjective.

I would suggest "First Timers". Most rinks will have it, or something similar.

Lol @ Cage & mouthguard. Haven't worn a cage since about 14 and never wore a mouth guard. 

Also Rook, you may want to find out which adult leagues don't have fighting, as usually weak skaters signify hard firsts. A completely bad situation if you're new to the game. But it may be different down south... they might not play real hockey in rec leagues down there... 

35 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Lol @ Cage & mouthguard. Haven't worn a cage since about 14 and never wore a mouth guard. 

Also Rook, you may want to find out which adult leagues don't have fighting, as usually weak skaters signify hard firsts. A completely bad situation if you're new to the game. But it may be different down south... they might not play real hockey in rec leagues down there... 

I don't wear a cage (or visor) either, but I've been skating for over 50 years. I don't think it's bad advice for a beginner to wear extra protection.

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Don't know how you can lol about not  wearing a mouth guard and cage. All it takes is one idiot who has no clue on what hes doing to high stick you and lose teeth.. especially if you play drop-in there is usually more then one of them. I do wear a visor but I know the risks you take.

2 minutes ago, WillyFox said:

Don't know how you can lol about not  wearing a mouth guard and cage. All it takes is one idiot who has no clue on what hes doing to high stick you and lose teeth.. especially if you play drop-in there is usually more then one of them. I do wear a visor but I know the risks you take.

I wear a visor for sure but most know if I lose a tooth, they'll lose all their fronts :D. 

I can't  breathe with one in... not even back when I was in jr B. 

@ All the guys crucifying me on calling it ice hockey... I call it hockey FYI. Just wanted to be specific so I get ice hockey advice and not floor hockey stuff I already know... please relax lol 

17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't know anyone who still wears a garter to play hockey.

Most guys use a jock that holds the cup as well as keeps the socks up:

51rCDJWgGLL._SX425_.jpg

I actually got one of these... went to sportchek grabbed the following: skates + super feet + guards, socks, jock, gloves, helmet with cage that can be removed once i'm not a begginer... I'm gonna give it a go and see if I can drop in some stick & pucks and also just more skating practice

Any advise on where I can buy the rest of the gear? Preferably cheap used? What do I still need? Shoulder pads? Shin Guards? 

Just now, apollo said:

@ All the guys crucifying me on calling it ice hockey... I call it hockey FYI. Just wanted to be specific so I get ice hockey advice and not floor hockey stuff I already know... please relax lol 

I actually got one of these... went to sportchek grabbed the following: skates + super feet + guards, socks, jock, gloves, helmet with cage that can be removed once i'm not a begginer... I'm gonna give it a go and see if I can drop in some stick & pucks and also just more skating practice

Any advise on where I can buy the rest of the gear? Preferably cheap used? What do I still need? Shoulder pads? Shin Guards? 

Depends on the league. A lot of adult leagues don't allow bodychecking. I play Oldtimer's and haven't played in a hitting league since the 90s. I also haven't worn shoulder pads for almost as long. You definitely need shin pads and hockey pants, though.

Besides the Ice Hockey equipment, you should invest in a pair of roller blades to help you skate, this way you do not need a rink, just hit up the pavement because on the ice your ankles will be all over the place. Roller blades help you build up your ankle strength and help you practice on balance. Ice skating is much harder

Archived