The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Next McDavid/Matthews

On 11/7/2016 at 3:30 AM, The Game said:

I consider Jannik Hansen a Lemieux type player. This doesn't mean that he is. Nolan Patrick is by many scouts considered one of the weakest potential first overall picks this decade.  

Weaker than Yakupov? Doubt it...

9 minutes ago, The Game said:

Yakupov was considered really good in his draft year, he drew Bure comparisons. Of course we know how that worked out...

His numbers were never that impressive. I never heard of these comparisons to Bure? 

15 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Another name to look out for is Andrei Svechnikov, brother of 2015 1st round pick Evgeni Svechnikov. The Russian hockey fans have been talking about him for years and he is really living up to hype in his first year in NA. Svechnikov and Dahlin are likely the consensus top 2 for the 2018 draft and IMO are both far better talents than anything available this draft.

48 minutes ago, Toews said:

Another name to look out for is Andrei Svechnikov, brother of 2015 1st round pick Evgeni Svechnikov. The Russian hockey fans have been talking about him for years and he is really living up to hype in his first year in NA. Svechnikov and Dahlin are likely the consensus top 2 for the 2018 draft and IMO are both far better talents than anything available this draft.

What about Jake Wise?

13 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

What about Jake Wise?

His struggles this year has dropped him down in the pecking order. I haven't had a chance to watch him yet so I cannot tell you why that may be the case. With players this young projecting where they will be even a year from now is very hard to do. There are many 15 year olds who people talk about as being the next great talent, very few of them actually go on to become that good. Wise maybe a case of where the hype machine went a little overboard.

Lots can change when you're 15. 

I doubt this current draft has any players of that elite level apart from Liljegren on defence who may end up being a consistent 50 point defenceman, with the occasional 60-70 point season a bit like Karlsson.

Patrick is going to end up a sound center but not a generational type of guy. Vilardi sure isn't (IMO a 2nd line center more like Kesler but more offence) but I think Hirschier may be the best offensive pick of the lot, still he's no Pat Kane etc.

Archived