The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver - Dallas

To Vancouver: Julius Honka, 1st round pick, Kari Lehtonen (Cap Dump, with negative value as we hold for another year), Ales Hemsky (cap reasons while on IR)

To Dallas: Ryan Miller, Alex Edler, 3rd round pick.

Why for Dallas: Dallas has a lot of potential, but has a couple major issues.  First, their defense is really lacking of high end capability.  Second, (and connected to that), both of their goalies have a terrible save percentage and GAA.  This deal solves both of those problems.  Edler gives a stable defenseman in the core years of his career.  Miller is an expiring contract but a veteran goalie who is better than the two they have.  They also get the big 5.9 million dollar cap dump of Lehtonen for next year, which holds value.

Why for Vancouver: Clearly we need to rebuild.  Markstrom is ready to be the #1, or at very least split time with Lehtonen.  We take the assets of Edler and Miller, and exchange them for two good pieces for the future.  Hemsky has an expiring contract, Lehtonen has a big contract that we need to eat for next season, but it's worth it to get Honka and the 1st round pick.  The only reason we get this much is that we also eat Lehtonen's contract. 

It would take Edler waiving his NTC, but I think he would do it to move from a rebuilding team to a competitive team.

Honka, 1st, Hemsky for Edler, 3rd // Lehtonen for Miller seems pretty realistic.

Couple things I'd want to shift around though.

1) Would they want Tanev?  I think our right-side D would be better prepared to handle losing him (Gudbranson, Stecher, Tryamkin, Larsen, heck even Sbisa or Stecher can play on that side).  Of course Edler would bring back the higher value but the left-side is less deep (Eddie, Hutton, Tryamkin, Sbisa).  Can we handle losing him without straight up hemorrhaging goals?

2) Instead of Honka I would push for either Jason Dickinson or Brett Ritchie.  Frankly Dickinson could be a good fit, as a talented center with scoring ability and we need an injection of talent up the middle especially with McCann gone, but Ritchie could be good as another winger with scoring ability and toughness.  At this point I think Plan A should be Dickinson. 

6 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Honka, 1st, Hemsky for Edler, 3rd // Lehtonen for Miller seems pretty realistic.

Couple things I'd want to shift around though.

1) Would they want Tanev?  I think our right-side D would be better prepared to handle losing him (Gudbranson, Stecher, Tryamkin, Larsen, heck even Sbisa or Stecher can play on that side).  Of course Edler would bring back the higher value but the left-side is less deep (Eddie, Hutton, Tryamkin, Sbisa).  Can we handle losing him without straight up hemorrhaging goals?

2) Instead of Honka I would push for either Jason Dickinson or Brett Ritchie.  Frankly Dickinson could be a good fit, as a talented center with scoring ability and we need an injection of talent up the middle especially with McCann gone, but Ritchie could be good as another winger with scoring ability and toughness.  At this point I think Plan A should be Dickinson. 

yeah i like your idea but it all comes down to who we are drafting eh ?

2 hours ago, underrated said:

To Dallas: Julius Honka, 1st round pick, Kari Lehtonen (Cap Dump, with negative value as we hold for another year), Ales Hemsky (cap reasons while on IR)

To Vancouver: Ryan Miller, Alex Edler, 3rd round pick.

Why for Dallas: Dallas has a lot of potential, but has a couple major issues.  First, their defense is really lacking of high end capability.  Second, (and connected to that), both of their goalies have a terrible save percentage and GAA.  This deal solves both of those problems.  Edler gives a stable defenseman in the core years of his career.  Miller is an expiring contract but a veteran goalie who is better than the two they have.  They also get the big 5.9 million dollar cap dump of Lehtonen for next year, which holds value.

Why for Vancouver: Clearly we need to rebuild.  Markstrom is ready to be the #1, or at very least split time with Lehtonen.  We take the assets of Edler and Miller, and exchange them for two good pieces for the future.  Hemsky has an expiring contract, Lehtonen has a big contract that we need to eat for next season, but it's worth it to get Honka and the 1st round pick.  The only reason we get this much is that we also eat Lehtonen's contract. 

It would take Edler waiving his NTC, but I think to move ahead from a rebuilding team to one with potential is worth it.

I don't want to be that guy... But...

You mixed up the proposed teams for this trade.

Now onto the proposal. I like it, but I can't see Edler being traded in a deal with Miller. It's a lot of salary going both ways, but you never know I guess.

IMO, Edler alone could pull us a solid top 6 forward. Like Nugent-Hopkins or Petan. (not elite players, but good enough to be Top 6)

2 hours ago, Strombone said:

I don't want to be that guy... But...

You mixed up the proposed teams for this trade.

Now onto the proposal. I like it, but I can't see Edler being traded in a deal with Miller. It's a lot of salary going both ways, but you never know I guess.

IMO, Edler alone could pull us a solid top 6 forward. Like Nugent-Hopkins or Petan. (not elite players, but good enough to be Top 6)

Good point, my bad!  I'll make the change.

Yeah, I agree he could fetch a top six forward, and obviously we need goal scoring.  I just think Honka could be a really good defenseman, and I'd rather us build for the future more than taking a player we hope to help us now.  I understand that guys like RNH and Petan are young, but I'm still content with a pick and prospect.

As for salary, it is a lot, but it relatively evens out both ways, so I don't see it as a hindrance.

Archived