The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In to deep now?

danjr

1 hour ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Why is everyone so certain Vancouver will even get to draft Patrick...come on now we are talking about the Canucks here and everyone should know their history of bad luck.  Starting right from the very first draft in 1970 when they entered the league. 

Pretty much this. Last year we dropped from 3rd to 5th, which really hurt this teams chances. I remember being quite excited prior to the draft thinking we will get at least top 4 and draft an offensive kid. Instead we get 5th???? WTF??? Oh right Nuck Luck. 

Last year was enough for me, now we are headed into some crappy drafts for the next few years. What a bad time to suck. People make fun of the oilers, but for years they got the 1st ovr in really crappy draft years. RNH and Yakupov type players are what we are going to get even if we win. 

I am not getting on the Nolan Patrick bandwagon, because who cares? This kid is not elite like the past top 5 drafts have seen. 

CDCers who keep posting Patrick pictures are the same ones who were bragging during our 4-0 start. Eternal optimism, apparently none of them have been fans long enough to realize this franchise gets screwed no matter what. 

At this rate, I do not think WD will survive once the road trip concludes with 6 Losses.  With that being said, it is better to have a Losing streak early in the season than later.  There are coaches out there that can turn this team around. 

Does management care about finding solutions to the problem or are they aiming to get another top pick? 

Are the players frustrated with the losses or do they have a "I do not care" attitude?

9 hours ago, Aircool said:

The thing is, nobody cares that you are confident about things. Your confidence comes from no logical foundation. It's just arbitrary opinion with no supporting evidence. That's the kind of stupid talk you keep to yourself, unless you want to get criticized, I'm assuming you want to get criticized. Why is Eriksson going to score 60 pts? He is on a team with significantly less scoring depth than Boston, (which is kind of sad to say.).... The thing about good offensive teams is that it's the depth of scoring that wears down defenses, not the first line. 

We have 21 goals in 13 games, which is 1.62 goals per game, the next lowest is 2.00 goals per game. The Rangers have 4.23 goals per game, which is first in the league. Just for perspective. 1.62 goals per game projects to 132 goals over the season, which is 59 or 60 below the lowest total in franchise history. We are clearly going to be under that number, it's a question of by how much. According to Wikipedia, the fewest goals scored in a season longer than 70 games was 133 goals by the 53-54 Blackhawks. That is above our projection, if only just, and that is pathetic. It's also probably worth mentioning, that 2 of our 21 goals are OT winners, that 10% ratio will most likely not continue. So I'd say our projection is even lower at the moment. 

I don't understand, what is your expectation for improvement. I see your point totals, but how does that translate into wins? How many? Do you think we make the playoffs? Basically I'm asking you how deluded you are. I think your point totals are out to lunch, Horvat is NOT scoring 50, Eriksson is NOT scoring 60. And while Baertschi easily could score 30 points this season, is that really all that useful? No, it's not.

I don't care if nobody cares that I'm confident in my team. 

At the end of the day if we continue on this path and finish last in the league, that's fine by me.

We're not built to win a cup.

That said it's very early and in my opinion, this is typical CDC reaction.

Happens every year. This year we just happen to be on an early losing streak.

Once we put together a string of wins and start scoring people will be planning the parade. Another typical CDC reaction.

And by the way, I don't care if we lose every game from now till the end of the season.

I just want to see the young guys play competitively and improve upon last year.

9 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Agreed..I did not see this this coming...One would have expected a significant improvement and progress in the play of players like Baertschi and Virtanen (who both look like they have regressed?)...and the only contribution from Eriksson is scoring a goal in our net.

All I can think of is that the new coaches 'system' (endorsed by management) just isn't conducive to this team...Completely relying on the twins is pure folly,as they usually hit the wall around late January ...Given their hard miles,it could be sooner.

I have no idea what's going on with Baertschi. He was playing poorly when we picked him up last year, and as soon as Willy scratched him he got going. Maybe that's what he needs?

Virtanen just isn't playing phyically for whatever reason. IMO his physical game is key for him to be successful. 

Good point about the Sedin's. 

I would blame our top 6 before the system.

I only say this because they've gotten chances, but they just can't finish.

2 hours ago, Tystick said:

I don't care if nobody cares that I'm confident in my team. 

At the end of the day if we continue on this path and finish last in the league, that's fine by me.

We're not built to win a cup.

That said it's very early and in my opinion, this is typical CDC reaction.

Happens every year. This year we just happen to be on an early losing streak.

Once we put together a string of wins and start scoring people will be planning the parade. Another typical CDC reaction.

And by the way, I don't care if we lose every game from now till the end of the season.

I just want to see the young guys play competitively and improve upon last year.

It's not about whether you care or not. It's that you kept on restating opinion as if it was evidence or fact. And when opinions don't mesh with reality, why would anyone give them any credence? We definitely aren't built to win a cup that's 100% sure, but I'd further argue we aren't built to make the playoffs.

While I agree that CDC reactions are predictable and reactionary, I have been saying since the first couple games that this team was going to be unsuccessful. Even though we started out strong 3-0, our goal totals in those games were horrendous, and we were playing the chumpiest of teams. So CDC was being super reactionary saying that our team was going to play defense all the way to the playoffs, and I was saying, "if you take out our OT winners, our goal totals are pathetic against some of the worst teams in the league." Or something to that effect. I think there is being reactionary, and then there is just having an accurate depiction of the situation. Just because my negativity coincides with a losing streak, does not make me reactionary, it just seems that way since this is your first time hearing me voice this opinion. If it even seems that way to you at all, you didn't specifically accuse me of that.

This team won't start scoring, that's a point I was going to make earlier, but chose not to due to the length of my post, how often do the Sedins have multipoint games in their old age? There are no 4-point games coming from them this season, alright... maybe 1. They aren't a line that can explode and destroy a team anymore. And as I've said multiple times, our goal-scoring depth is so atrocious, that the team won't produce huge either. We might just marginally improve to producing like 2.25 goals per game on average for the rest of the season, but we aren't going to bring the season average up to any level of respectability. I would probably consider it a miracle if Loui Erikson scores 20 goals this year, I have my doubts given our offensive style.

18 hours ago, drsofthands said:

honestly hilarious how many people thought this was going to work. Get it through your thick head that sometimes teams have to tank, and they dont do it because they want to, they do it because they need to. And raising prospects in a 'winning environment' is a pipe dream, and nothing more than an empty promise.

Some call that salesmanship.

What's he supposed to say? Yeah JB slapped some lipstick on a pig but what else was he to do?

21 minutes ago, Aircool said:

It's not about whether you care or not. It's that you kept on restating opinion as if it was evidence or fact. And when opinions don't mesh with reality, why would anyone give them any credence? We definitely aren't built to win a cup that's 100% sure, but I'd further argue we aren't built to make the playoffs.

While I agree that CDC reactions are predictable and reactionary, I have been saying since the first couple games that this team was going to be unsuccessful. Even though we started out strong 3-0, our goal totals in those games were horrendous, and we were playing the chumpiest of teams. So CDC was being super reactionary saying that our team was going to play defense all the way to the playoffs, and I was saying, "if you take out our OT winners, our goal totals are pathetic against some of the worst teams in the league." Or something to that effect. I think there is being reactionary, and then there is just having an accurate depiction of the situation. Just because my negativity coincides with a losing streak, does not make me reactionary, it just seems that way since this is your first time hearing me voice this opinion. If it even seems that way to you at all, you didn't specifically accuse me of that.

This team won't start scoring, that's a point I was going to make earlier, but chose not to due to the length of my post, how often do the Sedins have multipoint games in their old age? There are no 4-point games coming from them this season, alright... maybe 1. They aren't a line that can explode and destroy a team anymore. And as I've said multiple times, our goal-scoring depth is so atrocious, that the team won't produce huge either. We might just marginally improve to producing like 2.25 goals per game on average for the rest of the season, but we aren't going to bring the season average up to any level of respectability. I would probably consider it a miracle if Loui Erikson scores 20 goals this year, I have my doubts given our offensive style.

I respect your argument, though I was never seeking to debate with you ::DOkay let's wait and see what happens, shall we?

Just curious, what would you prefer the Canucks do at this time?

Okay, Canucks are pretty bad, but I don't think they're as bad as their current record over the last 9 games. Call it "Willie's Last Chapter". It ain't pretty.

But, the season just started and the games have been close, for the most part. The puck isn't going into the net for Eriksson or Baertschi, but they will eventually go in, and maybe in bunches. Willie isn't reaching his players and I wonder if they're tuning him out now. Virtanen could be a great player with the right coaching and development. Perhaps a new head coach, new systems for the team, lineups that stick, you never know what impact that could have.

I don't think the Canucks will make the playoffs, but I also don't believe they'll finish last. Another 5th overall pick in 2017 is my guess. Not going to cry about it. We're going to be awesome in 2022 LOL

13 hours ago, Aircool said:

The thing is, nobody cares that you are confident about things. Your confidence comes from no logical foundation. It's just arbitrary opinion with no supporting evidence. That's the kind of stupid talk you keep to yourself, unless you want to get criticized, I'm assuming you want to get criticized. Why is Eriksson going to score 60 pts? He is on a team with significantly less scoring depth than Boston, (which is kind of sad to say.).... The thing about good offensive teams is that it's the depth of scoring that wears down defenses, not the first line. 

We have 21 goals in 13 games, which is 1.62 goals per game, the next lowest is 2.00 goals per game. The Rangers have 4.23 goals per game, which is first in the league. Just for perspective. 1.62 goals per game projects to 132 goals over the season, which is 59 or 60 below the lowest total in franchise history. We are clearly going to be under that number, it's a question of by how much. According to Wikipedia, the fewest goals scored in a season longer than 70 games was 133 goals by the 53-54 Blackhawks. That is above our projection, if only just, and that is pathetic. It's also probably worth mentioning, that 2 of our 21 goals are OT winners, that 10% ratio will most likely not continue. So I'd say our projection is even lower at the moment. 

I don't understand, what is your expectation for improvement. I see your point totals, but how does that translate into wins? How many? Do you think we make the playoffs? Basically I'm asking you how deluded you are. I think your point totals are out to lunch, Horvat is NOT scoring 50, Eriksson is NOT scoring 60. And while Baertschi easily could score 30 points this season, is that really all that useful? No, it's not.

Not saying that the team will get better (maybe they will), or will remain troubled (perhaps they will). You criticize Ty for optimism and confidence for improvement without supporting evidence. Fine, but you take a small sample size, and from this you prognosticate an entire season? From what are you basing that the status quo will remain? Arbitrary opinion?

regards,  G.

Archived