The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a GM that can stand up to ownership

Matt_T83

We need players that can shoot the puck...that can defend our zone without falling over each other...we need players that can NOT cough up the puck coming out of our zone...we need players that can pass the puck stick to stick...This is what we need

and we need more one timers, shots on net, winning those board battles

less penalties, diving, chirping, 

Quit blaming everything else...we need our "professional" players to step the F%^$ UP!

6 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

And a real coach. 

Barring a miracle, we were never winning the cup this year. I find it funny how much venom is being sprayed at WD, Benning et al when firing them would make basically zero difference to the outcome of this season.

This season was always going to hinge on how well our mix of aging and young NHL'ers could play. Period. If/when Eriksson and Baer start scoring, we'll win some more tight games. Do I agree 100% with his lines or occasional in game choices? Nope. Would changing those, turn this team in to a cup contender? Nope.

And frankly, while some of his tactical moves could certainly be questioned, by in large, he has the team playing very hard for each other, playing tight systems etc. We're losing, people want to bitch. He's one of the present targets.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Barring a miracle, we were never winning the cup this year. I find it funny how much venom is being sprayed at WD, Benning et al when firing them would make basically zero difference to the outcome of this season.

This season was always going to hinge on how well our mix of aging and young NHL'ers could play. Period. If/when Eriksson and Baer start scoring, we'll win some more tight games. Do I agree 100% with his lines or occasional in game choices? Nope. Would changing those, turn this team in to a cup contender? Nope.

And frankly, while some of his tactical moves could certainly be questioned, by in large, he has the team playing very hard for each other, playing tight systems etc. We're losing, people want to bitch. He's one of the present targets.

WD has taken the top Swedish international line and turned it into a disaster. He's not developing the young players. His teams are not scoring, or winning. Venom? How about reality. The guy is not an NHL quality coach. 

And yes I do think a new coach could make a huge difference, its happened many times for other teams. 

23 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

S'all Good Man my friend. I have come to the conclusion that you are actually John Tortorella. There is just too much bitterness towards WD for you to be any other man. 

What has Willie accomplished to deserve any credit? 

And its not bitterness, its pointing out that he's a disaster. His record speaks for itself. He's probably a very nice man, but he has shown he can't run an NHL team. 

13 hours ago, Matt_T83 said:

For all the people complaining about WD or GM Benning, the real problem with this team is the owners.

The Aquilini's have consistently interfered with the management of the team. For a while it wasn't that big of an issue. However, once Alain Vingeault was fired, the real problems began. Mike Gillis wanted nothing to do with John Tortorella, but was forced to hire him by ownership. We all know how well that turned out. So they fire everyone and hire new people. But instead of accepting the inevitable decline the team, ownership doubled down on trying to stay competitive. They have forced Benning to make trades, giving away multiple 2nd round draft picks. This was obviously doomed to fail, since we didn't really have anywhere near the prospect pool we needed to do this. 

We had a decent prospect in Jared McCann that we just let go for an average 2nd pairing defenseman in Gudbranson, who is now -7. I didn't expect Gudbranson to score goals, we knew that coming in. But I did expect him to be a dependable shut down defenseman and keep an even +/-.  And all of this was done for a declining team that clearly isn't going to make the playoffs. Maybe ownership thinks we just need to trade away our 1st + 2nd round picks next year, and that will get us the last piece we need to complete this team.

Kind of hard for Guddy not be in the minus if the team can't score any goals to help balance the +/-

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

What has Willie accomplished to deserve any credit? 

And its not bitterness, its pointing out that he's a disaster. His record speaks for itself. He's probably a very nice man, but he has shown he can't run an NHL team. 

You can't judge him based on his record. This team is WEAK. No coach on earth will change that. WD isn't the best coach in the world, but he is not the worst. He is adequate and the players like playing for him (minus Virtanen). However, if our losing streak continues, he will definitely be on the chopping block. Fair or unfair. 

21 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

You can't judge him based on his record. This team is WEAK. No coach on earth will change that. WD isn't the best coach in the world, but he is not the worst. He is adequate and the players like playing for him (minus Virtanen). However, if our losing streak continues, he will definitely be on the chopping block. Fair or unfair. 

You can't judge a coach on his record? OK. 

How about a complete lack of player development? Or line chemistry? His line blender methodology is to blame for the total lack of team chemistry. 

The Sedins and Loui were able to find chemistry on international teams, separated by YEARS. And you're telling me Willie is correct in splitting that up? 

You're saying Markstrom and Miller suck?Tanev? Stecher? Bo? There's a lot of talent on this team if used correctly. 

Name one thing Willie does well. 

I don't really like Willie, I don't hate Willie, I'm not sure a different coach will make much difference unless it's the right coach. Not sure the right coach is available right now.   Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.  Either way, it won't break my heart or get me excited. Been a Canuck fan since the WHL days and I've seen a lot of bad teams..... way worse that this. My hope was to see a cup in Van b4 I die.... might not live that long but I'll still be a Canuck fan either way.

I think the owners aren't bad as people are saying.  Even if we were trying to retool and not rebuild, we still missed the playoffs last year and probably this year too.

Owners can see the proof there.  But obviously they want playoffs every year, which owner doesn't?  They have also given management an open cheque book every year since day 1.  Expecting playoffs isn't unreasonable...

Wait...  We need a GM who stands up to ownership and forces the team to rebuild, intead of competing?

But, that's what we have already!  Our GM has built a team that can't even come close to competing.  We were the worst team in the league last year (and somehow we ended up with only the 5th overall draft pick) - and we look to be far worse this year.  Half our team should be in the AHL right now.  Ownership ordered him to compete - and we are not competing.  At all.  We are only competing for 1st overall in the draft.  And, the entire time, he's shipped out anyone who can score, only to replace them with defensive players who can't score to save their lives.  He knows we are going to be about the lowest-scoring team in the NHL this year.  And, he knows that anemic teams like that virtually never finish anywhere but at the very bottom of the standings.  And, he knew the exact same things last year.  Does he go out and get us what we need (people who can score, a second line, etc...)?  No.  He does the exact opposite.  That's not competing.

This is a re-build.  Our GM is standing up to ownership, just not in the way you'd hoped (he's pretending to do what they want, only to go behind their backs and tank the team, while trying to build it back up in his image - the 'Stealth Re-Build' moniker actually fits here).  That's how we can spend to the cap and get a shiny new $36 million player - yet the team doesn't get any better at all.  Our GM's trying to keep ownership happy, while at the same time, destroying our team in secret.

If Benning's going all-out trying to compete today, and we are the worst team in the league, just imagine how bad our team would be if he was trying to blow it up and re-build!  Right now we are on-pace for a 57 point season.  And, this is competing?  What would a re-build entail?  A 35 point season?  Worse?

Archived