The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a GM that can stand up to ownership

Matt_T83

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

And where is Linden in all of this?

He's the one guy that has the stroke with the fans to 'draw a line in the sand' with the owner.

he's remained very silent during this time. 

either something is brewing...or he just doesn't know what to do...

13 hours ago, Jam126 said:

This is basically saying: "We need someone who flips off his boss."

Good luck with that strategy.

Exactly. Just be glad we don't have cheap owners. 

People seem to forget we used to be a budget team with lack luster infrastructure and facilities which made it hard to sell free agents to even come here in the first place.

8 minutes ago, apollo said:

Exactly. Just be glad we don't have cheap owners. 

People seem to forget we used to be a budget team with lack luster infrastructure and facilities which made it hard to sell free agents to even come here in the first place.

Jerry Jones or Melnyk.....kind of like choosing your method of execution...

7 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

You can't judge a coach on his record? OK. 

How about a complete lack of player development? Or line chemistry? His line blender methodology is to blame for the total lack of team chemistry. 

The Sedins and Loui were able to find chemistry on international teams, separated by YEARS. And you're telling me Willie is correct in splitting that up? 

You're saying Markstrom and Miller suck?Tanev? Stecher? Bo? There's a lot of talent on this team if used correctly. 

Name one thing Willie does well. 

So by that logic I guess Babcock has been a terrible coach during his Leafs tenure?

I guess Horvat, Hutton, Markstrom, Tanev, hell even Hansen haven't developed under WD?

You're on these boards as much as anyone. So you know as good as anyone that EVERYONE on this board wanted Hansen back up with the twins at least 2 games before the change actually happened. WD was the one that didn't cave to the pressure right away. 

No I'm not saying our goaltending sucks, it's been our brightest spot so far. But we don't have 1 true 1st line player on this team! We don't have 1 star player in our entire organization. So no, I don't put our record on him. I can actually see the state of our franchise for what it is. 

Honestly, I really want to see some lower round draft picks come to Canucks and make impact.

Benning has selected well in the first round. but what about later rounds, and any where you read about canucks (even Vancouver media), you only hear about Joulevi, Boesr, and Demko. Noone talks about the other picks he's made.

If those picks can come to fruition and light it up in the AHL and progress to NHL, i think a lot of people would have more optimism for Canucks. Right now there is noone in the AHL that we can look forward to. We've traded away/waived prospects picked by previous regime in favor of 3rd liners with some upside. If that happens, noone needs to stand up to anyone.. our prospects will eventually start fighting for team spots and we'll be in great shape.

I'm still doubting our future with this rebuild on the fly approach.

1 hour ago, k_man08 said:

Honestly, I really want to see some lower round draft picks come to Canucks and make impact.

Benning has selected well in the first round. but what about later rounds, and any where you read about canucks (even Vancouver media), you only hear about Joulevi, Boesr, and Demko. Noone talks about the other picks he's made.

If those picks can come to fruition and light it up in the AHL and progress to NHL, i think a lot of people would have more optimism for Canucks. Right now there is noone in the AHL that we can look forward to. We've traded away/waived prospects picked by previous regime in favor of 3rd liners with some upside. If that happens, noone needs to stand up to anyone.. our prospects will eventually start fighting for team spots and we'll be in great shape.

I'm still doubting our future with this rebuild on the fly approach.

Considering most of the picks even from his first draft are still in junior or college don't you think it's a wee bit premature to be expecting them to be in the AHL or NHL?

37 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Considering most of the picks even from his first draft are still in junior or college don't you think it's a wee bit premature to be expecting them to be in the AHL or NHL?

I understand.. but similar to how the top 3 are standing out in the juniors.. shouldn't we be hearing similar news about the remaining picks.. or even 10% of those picks? so far nothing.. which really gives me the impression that the bottom end of our past drafts are going to be nothing special like in any other years (i know premature). But perhaps to instill some enthusiasm, our media should do some more coverage of those players so that the fan base has something to look forward to.

We have top 3 .. Boesr, Demko, Joulevi, but those it'd be nice to hear about other promising prospects more often as well...

And eventually it'd be nice to see them go through AHL and into NHL. Right now, we have noone to look forward to.. and with the team doing so terrible, it really bogs you down as a fan because you really don't see this getting any better any time soon..

45 minutes ago, k_man08 said:

I understand.. but similar to how the top 3 are standing out in the juniors.. shouldn't we be hearing similar news about the remaining picks.. or even 10% of those picks? so far nothing.. which really gives me the impression that the bottom end of our past drafts are going to be nothing special like in any other years (i know premature). But perhaps to instill some enthusiasm, our media should do some more coverage of those players so that the fan base has something to look forward to.

We have top 3 .. Boesr, Demko, Joulevi, but those it'd be nice to hear about other promising prospects more often as well...

And eventually it'd be nice to see them go through AHL and into NHL. Right now, we have noone to look forward to.. and with the team doing so terrible, it really bogs you down as a fan because you really don't see this getting any better any time soon..

This is the place to start:

http://forum.canucks.com/forum/34-prospects-utica-comets/

I also look through the junior teams' sites for additional info.

regards,  G.

Late round picks generally take a lot longer (if ever) to make the NHL and  since next year will be most of them's first year in pro don't expect much for awhile. As for the media, unless you're a high first rounder might as well forget it.... Can't compete for press with McJesus, McMathews or McLaine. :)

i'm not ready to give up on virtanen but we coulda had two nylanders which would have allowed for the passing of the torch from sedins to nylanders.  we have no one to take the the wheel at the moment which leads me to the topic of jb's drafting.  not quite ready yet to pass judgement but not prepared to praise blindly the oft mentioned mercurial drafting prowess when none of his have proven a thing to this point other than potential.  this will quickly play out and then we will find out if we are to be a slick, smooth johnny canuck predator whale hunting the frozen seas of the nhl or simply a sea slug getting baked in the sun

On 11/8/2016 at 2:18 AM, Baggins said:

Kassian had no value. Nobody would have given us a pick or prospect for a problem player coming out of substance abuse rehab. Montreal was looking to move Prusts contract. Prust was still useful but expensive. Which is why a low pick had to be included. Believe me they didn't want Kassian in return. First thing their GM said to him was "You get one chance here. You're on a short leash". Kassian quickly screwed the pooch and cleared waivers after returning from stage 2 substance abuse rehab. Any team could have had him for free and passed. Again - no value. With Price done for the season Montreal needed a goalie and offers Edmonton Kassian for a buried NHL contract in the AHL. It would be fair to say Edmonton didn't want Kassian at the time either (they could have claimed him for free) but didn't want to pay an NHL salary in the AHL even more.

People keep saying we got screwed on the Kassian trade but the truth is he had no value at all at the time. Nobody wants a problem child who hasn't even managed to perform and Kassian hadn't. Most look to move problem children even if they do perform.

That said, I'm glad Kassian appears to have turned it around. All it took was two stints in rehab, two trades, an auto accident, and clearing waivers. Best of luck to him.

Come on Baggins, we HIRED a coach with a "social work degree" and also hired JB and TL ( a great captain in his day), yet none of these people were able to reach him????

This comes off as a joke to me, now witness the game he had vs us, a fight, breakaway, numerous hits, you are telling me we could not have saved him? 

Did it really take a car accident for him to realize his place in the league? Or I ask you did we fail in this endeavor? Because we sure need a player like him.Jake is off partying and getting more Tats instead of playing like a proper PF. We are soft in the Forward spot. 

Even when he was "drunk and on drugs" he still produced when put up with the Twins, Go look at the stats. 

Ridiculous that we let him go for a garbage player and a 5th. 

23 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Come on Baggins, we HIRED a coach with a "social work degree" and also hired JB and TL ( a great captain in his day), yet none of these people were able to reach him????

This comes off as a joke to me, now witness the game he had vs us, a fight, breakaway, numerous hits, you are telling me we could not have saved him? 

Did it really take a car accident for him to realize his place in the league? Or I ask you did we fail in this endeavor? Because we sure need a player like him.Jake is off partying and getting more Tats instead of playing like a proper PF. We are soft in the Forward spot. 

Even when he was "drunk and on drugs" he still produced when put up with the Twins, Go look at the stats. 

the canucks had to give up the 5th to get the garbage player, because that's what it took to convince another team to take on kassian's baggage. a team he never played for because he screwed up yet again. 

Just now, tas said:

the canucks had to give up the 5th to get the garbage player, because that's what it took to convince another team to take on kassian's baggage. a team he never played for because he screwed up yet again. 

Keep convincing yourself of that. As I have previously stated, we hired a coach with a SOCIAL WORK DEGREE, plus Linden, one of the greatest captains in the NHL. Yet we were not able to save Kass??? Look at him on the Oilers? It saddens me that it took a car accident to wake him up. I ask you did we fail as an organization in terms of not being able to make him into a player? In fact, all I heard were the Sedins and mgmt bashing this kid who lost his father at a young age. No such public words on Jake though. 

Absolute joke if you ask me and many fans. Another fail for this organization. Prust and a 5th??? Biggest joke of all. So mgmt decides to bring in a tough guy who says let the rookies stick up for themselves??? No wonder we are such a loser franchise. 

1 hour ago, SaintPatrick33 said:
36 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Keep convincing yourself of that. As I have previously stated, we hired a coach with a SOCIAL WORK DEGREE, plus Linden, one of the greatest captains in the NHL. Yet we were not able to save Kass??? Look at him on the Oilers? It saddens me that it took a car accident to wake him up. I ask you did we fail as an organization in terms of not being able to make him into a player? In fact, all I heard were the Sedins and mgmt bashing this kid who lost his father at a young age. No such public words on Jake though. 

Absolute joke if you ask me and many fans. Another fail for this organization. Prust and a 5th??? Biggest joke of all. So mgmt decides to bring in a tough guy who says let the rookies stick up for themselves??? No wonder we are such a loser franchise. 

you can't help someone that doesn't want to help himself. he burned through 3 teams before he was forced to pull his life together. 

4 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

And yet he cleared waivers. What part "no trade value" don't you understand? He'd been given chance after chance after chance here over 4 seasons and 3 coaches. Sent to stage 1 rehab. Didn't work. Do you honestly think nobody here tried to get through to him? Daniel, who never publicly says anything bad about teammates, said "shut up and play better" after Kassian whined in the news about his ice time. A good indication even teammates were fed up with him. Obviously stage 1 rehab wasn't enough of a wake-up call. He needed a few more.

Traded, and warned by his new GM, he screwed to pooch again before the season even started. Stage 2 rehab. Cleared waivers - nobody wanted him for free. Told to go home and not report to the farm team. Traded again. Would he have straightend out without that series of events indicating his career could be over?

You're living in a dream world. With more young guys coming in keeping a problem child, who didn't seem to learn from his mistakes, was not a good plan at all. Although I'm happy for the kid for finally straightening out his life, I don't give a crap he's gone. It had to be done. For his sake and ours.

On 11/7/2016 at 10:04 PM, Matt_T83 said:

For all the people complaining about WD or GM Benning, the real problem with this team is the owners.

The Aquilini's have consistently interfered with the management of the team. For a while it wasn't that big of an issue. However, once Alain Vingeault was fired, the real problems began. Mike Gillis wanted nothing to do with John Tortorella, but was forced to hire him by ownership. We all know how well that turned out. So they fire everyone and hire new people. But instead of accepting the inevitable decline the team, ownership doubled down on trying to stay competitive. They have forced Benning to make trades, giving away multiple 2nd round draft picks. This was obviously doomed to fail, since we didn't really have anywhere near the prospect pool we needed to do this. 

We had a decent prospect in Jared McCann that we just let go for an average 2nd pairing defenseman in Gudbranson, who is now -7. I didn't expect Gudbranson to score goals, we knew that coming in. But I did expect him to be a dependable shut down defenseman and keep an even +/-.  And all of this was done for a declining team that clearly isn't going to make the playoffs. Maybe ownership thinks we just need to trade away our 1st + 2nd round picks next year, and that will get us the last piece we need to complete this team.

The only two ways this team is ever going to be competitive again is 1) sucking so badly for 5-10 years that we eventually get a few first overall picks or 2) firing Benning and hiring a GM that is willing to stand up to ownership and make tough decisions. Either way we are going to suck for a while. The question is, do we suck for 4-5 years and then become competitive? Or do we keep trying in vain to 'win now' and end up sucking for 10 more years?

Lets get 2 things clear.

1.If one doesn't like ownership go root for another team or buy one yourself.

2. You have no clue what goes on behind closed doors with ownership and management. Not even enough to speculate.

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

And yet he cleared waivers. What part "no trade value" don't you understand? He'd been given chance after chance after chance here over 4 seasons and 3 coaches. Sent to stage 1 rehab. Didn't work. Do you honestly think nobody here tried to get through to him? Daniel, who never publicly says anything bad about teammates, said "shut up and play better" after Kassian whined in the news about his ice time. A good indication even teammates were fed up with him. Obviously stage 1 rehab wasn't enough of a wake-up call. He needed a few more.

Traded, and warned by his new GM, he screwed to pooch again before the season even started. Stage 2 rehab. Cleared waivers - nobody wanted him for free. Told to go home and not report to the farm team. Traded again. Would he have straightend out without that series of events indicating his career could be over?

You're living in a dream world. With more young guys coming in keeping a problem child, who didn't seem to learn from his mistakes, was not a good plan at all. Although I'm happy for the kid for finally straightening out his life, I don't give a crap he's gone. It had to be done. For his sake and ours.

It's just the same as Grabner - who still has consistency issues - where he struggled in every Canucks camp and didn't have a breakout until after not only was he traded, but put on waivers after another poor camp with Florida. Some players need a change to succeed and some need even more than that. It's not like we've lost a 1st liner all star.

I think the Canucks should re-hire Gillis, just so they can fire him again. He left the Canucks with no prospects. His drafting was terrible, his trades worse( Connaughton and a 2nd for Roy. Are you kidding me? Ballard, Booth?  I think  you have to give Benning a chance. Hopefully he finds some players in later rounds. Like Tryamkin. but it will take time and be painfull

23 hours ago, Archie the grim said:

I think the Canucks should re-hire Gillis, just so they can fire him again. He left the Canucks with no prospects. His drafting was terrible, his trades worse( Connaughton and a 2nd for Roy. Are you kidding me? Ballard, Booth?  I think  you have to give Benning a chance. Hopefully he finds some players in later rounds. Like Tryamkin. but it will take time and be painfull

How many more years should Benning get?

It took Talon 4 years to re-jig Chicago and Florida, isn't Benning in like year 3 and the team is doing what more than a few posters wanted before and warned would happen now? Tanking is not the guarantee it was 2 years ago, but he team is heading in that direction without meaning to and trying not to, it just goes to show....something. Is the team as bad as the standings? Maybe not but, they aren't much better.

Gillis not only got the team back into the playoffs, he got them to the SCF. Remember this was a team with the top six forwards and top 4 defence locked and most draft picks were in the late picks. The guys now playing, Tanev, Hutton, Horvat, Guance, Markstrom,  are all Gillis deals done when rebuilding started to be necessary.

Booth = Eriksson only older and more expensive with longer term

Ballard = Virtanen, in the coaches doghouse = proving the owners are willing to allow 4.5 mil sit on the bench year after year without interfering.

Archived