The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for Leadership Change and Honey Badger Rebuild

NHL97OneTimer

Election Day in the US.  Time to pick a new leader.  Wouldn't it be nice if fans could elect the team's leadership every year?!!!  It's so easy to pick through the team and say things that are lacking with individual players.  It's also easy to blame the coach.  But for the first time in my 10 years of being solid Sedin supporters, I have to believe that it's time for the GM to start executing the plan for a leadership change for next season including handing over the leadership of the room (and coach).  Reading this morning's article in the Province, there were a couple of quotes that stood out to me (see below for link and quotes).  It's time to ask the Sedins and Edlers to take on lesser roles and conform to a new way of doing things (even if this results in a trade.....yup, I said it).

First, there's a real belief within the room that the team is working hard (see the quotes below).  I believe it, but I also believe the other teams seem to be working harder, winning the battles and forcing the play.  Like Kesler or not, he (and Burrows) were a presence on and off the ice that were known for their constant aggression for the puck. They helped create a team of honey badgers.  Right now, I see a team that's waiting for the play to develop.....waiting for the chances to open up as Daniel suggests. 

Secondly, Daniel's all mixed up suggesting that the team stops playing but then suggests you can wait for mistakes.  No, the team should force mistakes with speed and persistent pressure, not wait for the other team to become inpatient.  Honey badgers create scoring chances by forcing mistakes which comes from being hard on the puck, persistently pressuring the opposition and outworking them.  This is the brand of hockey that I want to sit down and watch.....win or lose.  This is the brand of  hockey that they brought Virtanen in for (so why not let him play this style?).  This is the brand of hockey that they must work towards because they simply don't have the skill yet to push anything else.

So how to get there?  Well, the Sedins are still valuable to the team, but the brand and style of the team must change.  Time for GM to make some bold changes.  Find the team a coach who can preach the new style and let the team make mistakes during this transition.  Bring in players who push this style if the current roster won't adopt it.  And unfortunately, but more importantly, prepare the team and the Sedins for a change in leadership in the room. 

Peace out everyone!

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-post-game-more-down-low-woes-desjardins-down-daniel-cuts-to-chase-miller-miffed

“We’re battling hard, but we’ve got to find a way to win a game,” he said. “It was nice to get the first goal because it’s tough to play from behind. You could tell when we got that first one that we felt a lot better about our game.

“We have to go for that first goal. We can’t sit back because when they get the lead, we stop playing. But tonight we had a good start, but we need that every game.

“When you have the lead, you can wait for their mistakes.”

“There’s no doubt that everybody is giving everything and trying to get a win here — and maybe too much — but we’ve got to stay positive here,” added Edler. 

It must be tough for the Sedins being so positive all the time, but inside probably know this team sucks. They've always been very respectful players. I agree, that they should start stepping down slowly, like taking over the 2nd line, but the Canucks don't have any other 1st line players, aside from maybe Eriksson. The Sedins are the best they've got. Until Bo and Jake really step up their games, they'll continue to rely on the Sedins to produce and win games.

54 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It must be tough for the Sedins being so positive all the time, but inside probably know this team sucks. They've always been very respectful players. I agree, that they should start stepping down slowly, like taking over the 2nd line, but the Canucks don't have any other 1st line players, aside from maybe Eriksson. The Sedins are the best they've got. Until Bo and Jake really step up their games, they'll continue to rely on the Sedins to produce and win games.

Guys like Bo, Sven, Virt need to be given more minutes so that the Sedins can start playing less.  Sutter has been playing more than the Sedins the last few games, which is a start, but Willie needs to let the young guys run with it now.  The Sedins can be effective on this team, by reducing their roles slowly over the next few years, but they can't be expected to lead it in points year after year into their late 30s.

49 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Eriksson - Horvat - Virtanen

Daniel - Henrik - Hansen

Baertschi - Granlund - Sutter

Burrows - Gaunce - Dorsett

Something different, anyway. What do they have to lose? A game?

To make a statement to the team (and leadership), it may be worthwhile to not roll four lines but instead give the top minutes to the hungriest players.......for the first game, perhaps the first line would include Horvat and Hansen.  Sad that I can't come up with a third hungry looking player right now.  This has to come down to coaching and leadership.

why do people think switching the order of lines accomplishes anything

the opposition decides who it puts it's best defenders on

and until they no longer make the sedins the priority

the sedins are still are best and most dangerous line

and virt needs to go to utica

not get 1st line minutes with the top club

edit: i am becoming concerned virt will be ruined ala the oilers development plan, if he is not sent down

I think another coach might help to go in a different direction, but the experienced coach may not be available until next off season.

Watching the Canucks play is not as hard knowing the likely outcome, resigned to the eventual loss.

The rebuild and teardown will happen next, and then building with young skilled drafted players. This will take a few years INMHO.

2 hours ago, LateNightBus said:

I think another coach might help to go in a different direction, but the experienced coach may not be available until next off season.

Watching the Canucks play is not as hard knowing the likely outcome, resigned to the eventual loss.

The rebuild and teardown will happen next, and then building with young skilled drafted players. This will take a few years INMHO.

What bugs me is that the players looked hungry in preseason and look less hungry now.  I get that the better players are on the ice but style of play doesn't look hungry which makes losing that much harder to watch.  I'm okay seeing a hungry team be outskilled.  Besides, that type of team got Calgary to the finals in my opinion.......Kipper, Conroy and Iginla played well but the hunger of the team was the biggest standout for that team that year.

3 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

To make a statement to the team (and leadership), it may be worthwhile to not roll four lines but instead give the top minutes to the hungriest players.......for the first game, perhaps the first line would include Horvat and Hansen.  Sad that I can't come up with a third hungry looking player right now.  This has to come down to coaching and leadership.

I've watched Burrows and Dorsett the last few games, and for the most part they've both shown hustle and hunger. A hell of a lot more than the 6 million dollar man.

Horvat, Hansen, Dorsett, Stetcher, Burrows and I'd say even Sbisa has shown 'hunger'..... even if he is his being usual self while doing so.

The rest have been pretty sleepy if I'm honest.

Burrows Horvat Hansen

Granlund(eeegh) Sutter Dorsett.

First first and second lines if effort is the metric.

I...actually have no problem with the first line. That would be brutal to play against. Speed, dirtiness and some toughness too. Limited skill though.

The second one has speed, dirtiness and some toughness. But almost no skill.

Archived