The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Change of direction (Discussion)

VanGnome

Who the captain is of a team, is a statement of that team's identity. It's a metric of how aligned a team is, it's also ultimately a metric of how the players on a team conduct themselves within the context of the team, a sort of chain of command.

The problem is, and has been since 2011, is the supporting cast which surrounds the Sedins is no longer skilled enough to keep the Sedin's game buoyant or viable. Changing the captaincy is not about disrespecting or discarding what Henrik and Daniel have done for the team or the community, it is about shifting the focus of the team and changing the external perception of this team.

Right now, we're viewed as the doormat of the league. We need push back, and that's just not in the character of either Sedin; Hansen however will do whatever is necessary at all costs to get the job done. The dude got blindsided on a huge, monster open ice hit, bounces up and seconds later starts destroying Kadri after his hit on Daniel. That is a leader, that is a warrior and exemplifies how this team needs to be.

The Sedins have had a marvelous career, and it's not even close to being over, but their time as leaders of a team on the ice is at an end. They can't sustain it any longer, they should willingly take a step back and become secondary pieces, and willingly hand over their captaincies to other members of the team as a change of the guard. I firmly believe that if the coaching systems change in such a way that it necessitates Baertschi, Horvat and Virtanen as the 1st line that they will pick it up and become the leaders of this team.

16 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Who the captain is of a team, is a statement of that team's identity. It's a metric of how aligned a team is, it's also ultimately a metric of how the players on a team conduct themselves within the context of the team, a sort of chain of command.

The problem is, and has been since 2011, is the supporting cast which surrounds the Sedins is no longer skilled enough to keep the Sedin's game buoyant or viable. Changing the captaincy is not about disrespecting or discarding what Henrik and Daniel have done for the team or the community, it is about shifting the focus of the team and changing the external perception of this team.

Right now, we're viewed as the doormat of the league. We need push back, and that's just not in the character of either Sedin; Hansen however will do whatever is necessary at all costs to get the job done. The dude got blindsided on a huge, monster open ice hit, bounces up and seconds later starts destroying Kadri after his hit on Daniel. That is a leader, that is a warrior and exemplifies how this team needs to be.

The Sedins have had a marvelous career, and it's not even close to being over, but their time as leaders of a team on the ice is at an end. They can't sustain it any longer, they should willingly take a step back and become secondary pieces, and willingly hand over their captaincies to other members of the team as a change of the guard. I firmly believe that if the coaching systems change in such a way that it necessitates Baertschi, Horvat and Virtanen as the 1st line that they will pick it up and become the leaders of this team.

You bring up a strong argument about the Sedins stepping down as leaders, and about the direction this team should be taking.

With that being said, I don't think the timing is right for them to step down. With the turmoil the Canucks are going through right now it's best for the team to have them remain as leaders, as they have the experience to handle this matter. With all the negativity surrounding the team this season, their experience and their ability to handle it so well has never before been so valuable, and needed.

This off-season may be a different story, but for now the Sedins absolutely need to remain as leaders.

24 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Totally agree with you. Who becomes Captain is a real concern. Many would suggest Horvat but I would not load him down with that. Hanson is a good choice since he is older and has always been straight forward with the media and fans. The next 2 years are going to be rough.

Good post,

I agree the team needs to address the captaincy at the end of this year. I would like to see them to share captaincy between henrik and horvat next year. This way Henrik would not give it up , but it would be a needed philosophical changing of the guard.  Bo would take the sole captaincy in 2018-19 after Henrik retires.

Henrik would support this knowing that his experience is being utilized to help Bo handle the new responsibility.

The Canucks did something similar with Linden at the same age as Bo . They rotated between him, Lidster and Dan Quinn. Shortly after Linden took sole captaincy.

Hansen shares the A with Daniel now and Guddy (depending whether he's resigned) or Sutter takes an A after they retire.

Splitting the Sedin's 5 on 5 would be the other change. I seriously think they will be more effective on separate lines plus it will allow Bo,Baer, Eriksson, Virtanen, Hansen and Boeser more minutes and share in the offensive responsibility. It also makes the team more difficult to defend.

8 minutes ago, jmahyoung said:

Thumbs up to your ideas. At least it's something, warts and all.

Sone careful thinking in there.

Well, I should have prefaced the OP based on the early pre-season and early season marketing they had (the commercial showing Bo running up the Grouse Grind in the rain), the slogan being "it makes us harder to play against". Right now I'm seeing the complete opposite taking place on the ice. Obviously ownership and management have a specific ideal they want to follow, but WD is not delivering that with his systems, and as an effect the players are starting to get apathetic.

I believe the single biggest change they could make is removing WD if for nothing else make a change for the sake of the players. Jarvis taking over retains some familiarity over defensive systems, but I would think that with 19 years of associate coaching experience in the NHL, he's picked up a thing or two along the way as it pertains to offense and what works, and more importantly doesn't work at the NHL level.

I'm not suggesting we  trade Hank and or Dan at all, but is this what the Coilers achieved by giving Taylor Hall away. The new face of the franchise, changing of the Guard. Mcdavid isn't doing it by himself,but their game has changed dramatically. We need to see our youth in the drivers seat, to ever see what we really have.

I have suggested this too it really is time to start making the transition. I really think Hank has to go from the leader to the mentor while he can still play. I also see what the change has done to Edmonton. They  really are a different team now with a different mindset.

The Twins did the same with Linden and Nazzy so they are aware of how the transition works. I also think WD is showing more and more that he is not fit to run an NHL team we really need an experienced guy in that spot.

We don't have the horses to change our style to the one you want,

our players are already doing that to the best of their ability, and so is the rest of the league, which is where your proposed strategy falls flat. you aren't going to come out like the Hansen brothers and shock everyone with your physical play, the skill level is such that if you are out of position for longer than a few seconds the puck is heading straight for your net. physicality in hockey is just as much about skill as any other aspect, you have to be good to play the way you suggest, really good. better than the other team in fact.

now you see the problem I'm sure.

playing musical letters with player jerseys? that would have about as much of an effect as painting the locker room a different color. not to mention it would piss everyone on the team off not just the twins, fans too,

you may be onto something with the ice time, these are the down days, its going to be like this for a while so i agree lets take advantage of being able to give  NHL ice time to people who may never get the chance otherwise, if tryamkin gets 20 min a night he is going to make a ton of mistakes and we are going to lose, but we are going to lose anyway, and if we give him that time to learn we will have a hell of a defenseman on our hands this time next year, much better than if we didn't do it, same with Horvat, make him the go-to scorer and watch him develop into one twice as fast as he would otherwise

the key to that is having strong smart veteran's who can constantly correct affirm and put things into perspective and that is one role  you couldn't ask for anyone better than the twins, they are smart articulate and command respect both as people and players, if they get on board with grooming the new guys as their primary role, you couldn't ask for better. I'm sure the4yal ready are but in a win now atmosphere its not the primary focus

I agree with your "transition" play. Give it to the kids, but not entirely because they are not ready. Don't over rate Hansen, he's a speedy checker with little offensive instincts who creates chances with his speed. 

Personally, blow it up. Pick high. Target RFA's like drouin, draisaitl and panarin and come ready to play next season

drouin-horvat-boeser

sedin-sedin-eriksson

baertschi-sutter-Patrick

virtanen-gaunce-hansen

granlund/dorsett

edler-tanev

hutton-stetcher

juolevi/tryamkin-gudbranson

Pedan-biega

Markstrom

demko

absolute best case scenario for us over the next year