The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) NHL spoke to the Canucks about Gudbranson threatening Martin

PhillipBlunt

Report: NHL spoke to Canucks about Gudbranson threatening Martin

by Sean O'Leary 19h ago
cropped_REU_2573012.jpg?ts=1478653739 

John E. Sokolowski / USA TODAY Sports
Erik Gudbranson's threat toward Matt Martin reportedly caught the attention of the NHL.

Following a chippy 6-3 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday, the Vancouver Canucks blue-liner said Martin's "f-----g dead."

NHL executive Colin Campbell reportedly spoke to Canucks general manager Jim Benning, saying Gudbranson better stay in line when the two clubs meet again Dec. 3 or he'll face "harsh repercussions," according to TSN's Darren Dreger.

Dreger reports the issue isn't on the league's front burner, but it takes a "threat of that magnitude" very seriously.

The Canucks and Leafs combined for 171 penalty minutes in the contest, including 10 for Gudbranson and 19 for Martin.

Kadri nearly concusses Daniel Sedin, and Matt Martin attacks Troy Stecher...........nothing.

Gudbranson makes an offhand comment regarding meting out some in game justice...........Colin Campbell slithers up and takes notice.

Hey NHL, FCK OFF.

Wish my favourite team wasn't associated to such a bush league. I want to support my team but I have to do it while supporting this mickeymouse league.

I've stopped going to the NHL website, and refused to download their app after they merged the Canucks app and tried to force the NHL app down our throats.

I wish we had a separate forum that wasn't under NHL so I don't have to give CDC traffic.

Also stopped drinking Budweiser too.

F U  NHL, if Colin Campbell had done is job properly and addressed the cheap-shots there likely be nothing to worry about next time the meet. 

Without a shadow of a doubt in my mind these 'threats' happen multiple times every game yet we get a 'phone call' about it. 

You are a joke NHL - if anything happens next meeting it's because of you and your pathetic DoPS. 

The way I see it the NHL messed up by sending the message they're not doing anything in the first place, so if it gets out of hand it's already on the NHL. Of course Bettman and Campbell will probably be at the game first hand they normally do this when 2 teams have past history. 

Personally I don't care who goes after Kadri or Martin, as long as someone does that's all that matters. And if the league does do something about so be it, the NHL is being run like a joke already, don't care.

As I said in another thread, The league showed us how to get our revenge within the legal limits of the rules. The best revenge is to land a blind side hit like the one that Kadri landed on Daniel. Just make sure to get the shoulder first and completely follow through with the hit.

4 minutes ago, Kakanucks said:

Hey NHL, FCK OFF.

Wish my favourite team wasn't associated to such a bush league. I want to support my team but I have to do it while supporting this mickeymouse league.

I've stopped going to the NHL website, and refused to download their app after they merged the Canucks app and tried to force the NHL app down our throats.

I wish we had a separate forum that wasn't under NHL so I don't have to give CDC traffic.

Also stopped drinking Budweiser too.

You have very high standards. The NHL is considered the best hockey league in the world by far by everyone associated with hockey and it is a bush league to you!! Who do you admire? The Burnaby 8 rinks league? Gudbranson's comment, now that is bush league, i will admit that you are correct there.

2 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Guddy will speed bag Martin the next time the Leafs and Nucks meet and then that will be the end of it.

These are two pro's who understand the unwritten rules of the game, so hopefully they get it out of the way on the opening shift.

Guddy will learn soon enough that you might be able to get away with saying stuff in Florida, with one beat reporter covering the game, but he has to watch himself in a Canadian Market.

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The way I see it the NHL messed up by sending the message they're not doing anything in the first place, so if it gets out of hand it's already on the NHL. Of course Bettman and Campbell will probably be at the game first hand they normally do this when 2 teams have past history. 

Personally I don't care who goes after Kadri or Martin, as long as someone does that's all that matters. And if the league does do something about so be it, the NHL is being run like a joke already, don't care.

At least tell me that you know that the December 3 game will be 100% tame. "Payback" games never amount to anything in the NHL. Remember the ultimate payback game, Canucks versus Avalanche. Matt Cooke got beaten up by Moore on the first shift and it was all over until one player lost it and decided to essentially end his carreer that night. You think Gudbranson wants to end his carreer on Dec 3? You know he doesn't. Dec 3 will be the most tame game at Rogers Place this season.

2 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

These are two pro's who understand the unwritten rules of the game, so hopefully they get it out of the way on the opening shift.

Guddy will learn soon enough that you might be able to get away with saying stuff in Florida, with one beat reporter covering the game, but he has to watch himself in a Canadian Market.

100% correct. Bus league comments do not go over well in Canada.

Keep on going Guddy. Don't let this stop you on December 3rd. If you get a fine, all us Canucks fans will gladly chip in. If you get suspended, it'll be worth it. I don't want to see anyone leaving on a stretcher. I don't want to see anyone injured, but I want to see revenge. 

Archived