The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Old Rumour) Seems the decision has been made to free Willie

ShakyWalton

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think a coaching change basically signifies that this year will be about development. No new coach will realistically be hired with playoff expectations. 

Pretty much. The main reason why a coaching change would happen is because they think said person would be better for player development than Willie D.

18 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Once again this is a rumour but from a reliable source.....

We have an unconfirmed rumor and it's a big one.

According to a French language report out of Montreal from DLC, the first National Hockey League head coach to be fired this season will be Vancouver Canucks coach Willie Desjardins, and furthermore according to the report the decision has already been made.

DLC claims that they have been informed by a very reliable source in Vancouver that not only will Desjardins be fired, but also that the man who will take over behind the Canucks bunch is American Hockey League coach Travis Greene, who is currently behind the bench for the Utica comets.

DLC is usually a very reliable source, but seeing as they are currently the only source reporting this information it is a rumour

Is that the same guy who was getting info in Gillis' day while meetings were still going on?  

Honestly, if the opinions of fans are largely shaped by the media, and ownership reacts to fan sentiment, we're in big trouble

The media has shown that they misunderstand a lot and some of them don't get Willie so they think he should go.  

Willie isn't the problem.  TG will have the same issues.  If Willie is fired it would certainly shake up the team.  Would it help?  I doubt it.

Linden stands behind embattled coach Willie Desjardins and lauds the team's improved defensive structure this season. “I like the structure we’ve played with.”

“I think we’ve played well. We haven’t scored. Willie would need a long stick from where he’s standing.

"Stability is important to me. Patience is important," Linden continued. "I understand people. You come out and you win four and then you lose one in overtime and then lose (six) in a row. Trust me, it’s been frustrating for everyone. It’s not easy for me. I understand it’s not easy for the fans. I know people want to win.”

1 minute ago, BlackBeard said:

doesn't change the fact that our players couldn't finish and lack elite skill and offensive instinct 

Doesn't have to. What matters is young players taking strides in their development. Under Willie that doesn't appear to be happening.

And really the fans need something to believe that management is trying to improve things, even if reality proves otherwise.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Linden stands behind embattled coach Willie Desjardins and lauds the team's improved defensive structure this season. “I like the structure we’ve played with.”

“I think we’ve played well. We haven’t scored. Willie would need a long stick from where he’s standing.

"Stability is important to me. Patience is important," Linden continued. "I understand people. You come out and you win four and then you lose one in overtime and then lose (six) in a row. Trust me, it’s been frustrating for everyone. It’s not easy for me. I understand it’s not easy for the fans. I know people want to win.”

They lost 3 more after he made that statement.

Of course they're going to publicly support their coach while he's still employed by them. Doesn't mean they weren't making contingency plans behind the scenes.

22 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

This. IF the Canucks fire Willie, I think it's best for us to wait until the end of the season to see what other coaches are available. Green is great and all, but what else is he going to pull out of this roster that Willie hasn't besides handling a few players ice time better? 

I disagree, the season is lost. Let him come in and work with the group, so going into next year the program is engrained, practiced and ready to go. No one should be surprised if this is true.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

They lost 3 more after he made that statement.

Of course they're going to publicly support their coach while he's still employed by them. Doesn't mean they weren't making contingency plans behind the scenes.

Ah so they lost patience after 3 more games.  I see. 

If there is a grain of truth to any of this, it would sure smell like someone is meddling in Lindens' business.

Just now, oldnews said:

Ah so they lost patience after 3 more games.  I see. 

Almost matching a record for a losing streak would probably make them stop and think, yes. Every GM has their breaking point where they have to make a decision.

And it's not just that they were losing, it's the way they were losing.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Almost matching a record for a losing streak would probably make them stop and think, yes. Every GM has their breaking point where they have to make a decision.

And it's not just that they were losing, it's the way they were losing.

if you say so.

Just now, chilliwiggins said:

Ya or its his own hide that will be tossed.   its all coming to a head , they will all be released soon, once they get legit replacements instead of these voids

Dale Tallon is the only legit replacement out there right now.

I don't wanna simply see change for the sake of it with the GM. This team needs some sort of stable plan. Changing the GM every 3 years is not a recipe for success.

30 minutes ago, oldnews said:

"Very reliable source"  wouldn't be the Province by any chance lol.

I'm not buying this.  Canucks made a recent statement refuting this - I doubt that's changed in the past few days, or that they were blowing smoke - not their style.

If this were Renaud Lavoie I might take it more seriously. 

Agreed

At no point in history has a GM or a management group ever said a coach was safe only to then fire them.  Ever

:bigblush:

Don't be mad ON you know I'm teasing you

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

i hope they don'r let willie go. imo, he is the right coach for this rebuild. my advice for mr's benning and linden would be for them to coach this team before they fire willie. 

musical coaches right now doesn't make much sense. 

Development is more important than anything right now. Without good development we've got nothing.

I don't think Willie is the right coach for our young players. If that's the case, a change needs to be made. 

Be easier if we would waive Willie(hmm, alliterative) & could call up Greener(on an ELC). Let's treat coaches like players, & trade reality for hope. This part of the biz I don't really like, within the modern times way of communication. All the spec, opinions, jokes, razzing, trolling, lame limericks(!), hearsay & expertise.

Must be hard on the ticker for some of these old guys. I'd say Willie seems a pretty dedicated type, & a guy with integrity. Prob a sorta' throw-back, & I'll leave it to any/all geniuses to determine if he's worthy. Hope the front office are all on the same page..unity, clarity, & all that jazz...

So in this particular scenario, guess I prefer the days when you heard(in morning) what the daily paper delivered. Then go rant, argue & speculate at the local donut shop. I eat well at my computer; but donut shops are where important hockey matters ought to be debated(in a perfect world).

Archived