The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Old Rumour) Seems the decision has been made to free Willie

ShakyWalton

Let's conjure up Roger he will win it all 4 us now.Even if we win the cup,we as fans will be saying:Oh so An so should have been playing.Should have played whoever An the game would not have gone into OT.Canuck fans .... Oh Boy ...  but I'm one,always will be.

Has anyone actually watched Green first hand? I think the most frustrating thing about Willie is a very low attempt at line matching or changing strategies against the other team.  

Does Green line match or change his strategies against a different coach?  

If if he does than welcome aboard. If he doesn't than I expect same results that we have with Willie. 

22 minutes ago, 6string said:

Oh I see, if it's an online tabloid rumor site in French, it's reliable. Ya learn something new everyday.

I can't wait to read from the leader of rumors come trading deadline.

It is a rumour as I stated but worth posting because it was on Canuck Feed ...

besides..is it such a shock that WD is going to get gassed...count on it and soon.....any coach who barely got of confidence at the end of last season and went on to lose 9 straight in the new season and his team is at the bottom of the league in just about every category.....needless to say his shelf life isn't very good...it sucks..but you know as well as I do do the coach is the first to go.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

They lost 3 more after he made that statement.

Of course they're going to publicly support their coach while he's still employed by them. Doesn't mean they weren't making contingency plans behind the scenes.

Exactly Bob. We both know who pulls the strings in Vancouver. His initials are FA.  If FA wants Willie gone he will be gone. The fact that the rink is getting emptier by the week means FA is losing money and therefore will make a decision quick. We might see a coaching change by the end of next week...

15 minutes ago, Whale Tail said:

Has anyone actually watched Green first hand? I think the most frustrating thing about Willie is a very low attempt at line matching or changing strategies against the other team.  

Does Green line match or change his strategies against a different coach?  

If if he does than welcome aboard. If he doesn't than I expect same results that we have with Willie. 

Green took a very average Utica team to the Calder cup finals and to the playoffs last season. he's a good coach. If this rumour is true I can't wait to welcome him aboard 

14 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

It is a rumour as I stated but worth posting because it was on Canuck Feed ...

besides..is it such a shock that WD is going to get gassed...count on it and soon.....any coach who barely got of confidence at the end of last season and went on to lose 9 straight in the new season and his team is at the bottom of the league in just about every category.....needless to say his shelf life isn't very good...it sucks..but you know as well as I do do the coach is the first to go.

Same big uproar a few yrs back with AV making comments on a French TV.

I think it has to be said that a coaching change can make a big difference. Remember the Penguins were out of a playoff spot last year and made a change mid season and ended up winning the Cup. I'm not saying that's gonna happen here obviously but I just want to point out that it can and perhaps will make a difference. 

The other thing to consider is that this will give TG a trial run for next year. He's under contract anyways so we give him the balance of this year to see what he can do with the kids. If there is improvement within the lineup then you keep him around. If he stinks the joint out then you send him back to Utica if he wants to keep his old gig. 

The key for TG won't necessarily be wins and loses but moreso what he does with the kids. Specifically Virtanen and Gaunce. I wannna see these guys take the next step. Same with Baertschi. Hutton looks to have regressed as well. I just want them to play big minutes each night and compete hard. Get their confidence going. They say the game is 95% mental and I believe that to be true. Guys like Virtanen don't just lose their skill set overnight. It's a mental thing. You gotta get his confidence up.  Maybe TG can do that better than Willie. Maybe he can motivate the guys better than Willie.

Coaching isn't just about standing behind the bench and changing lines. Anybody can do that. The great coaches know how to motivate. They know how to get the best out of their players, whether it's pep talks in the dressing room or just playing your young guys in key situations to get their confidence up. Whatever it is there is something missing from this team. Willie had a good run. There is nothing more he can do. He has reached his peak. I don't see him as a true leader or top end NHL coach. He's already in his mid 50's. If he hasn't done it yet he never will. Just my 2 cents. 

3 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

Agree but this group has pi$$ed away quite a lot in a short time , and this continues to grow, as well I don't believe their vision or direction is up to the current style

of play.      I would love to see Tallon take over 

If I could have I would have given your post a million pluses!!!

26 minutes ago, Nex is my ex said:

Green took a very average Utica team to the Calder cup finals and to the playoffs last season. he's a good coach. If this rumour is true I can't wait to welcome him aboard 

A few years ago didn't Willie take the Stars to an actual Calder Cup win? And here we are today...jus' sayin'...

Archived