Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cherry: Left Wing Kooks Not Welcome in Canada


hsedin33

Recommended Posts

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/don-cherry-no-americans-trump-1.3843743

 

[edit]

  • Kook, a synonym for crank (person), a pejorative term for a person who holds an unshakable belief that most others consider to be ludicrously false



Don Cherry may have whatever views he wishes. It is ironic that his words and actions make him the stubborn, 'kooky' intolerant one, holding onto his ludicrous, old narrative that his view of politics is the only correct view that others must obey or stay the hell out of Canada. That being said, in my view intolerance is not the way of Canada. Free-speech and the freedom to hold whatever political views you want is what freedom and Canada is about. You can be as kooky or as non kooky as you want, but you can't suppress all other opinions simply because you don't agree with it. 
 

on Cherry tells 'left-wing kook' Americans to stay home

Hockey commentator not welcoming to Trump-dodgers

The Canadian Press Posted: Nov 09, 2016 2:06 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 09, 2016 2:29 PM ET

Don Cherry used Twitter to try to discourage Americans from coming to Canada after the election of Donald Trump as U.S. president.

Don Cherry used Twitter to try to discourage Americans from coming to Canada after the election of Donald Trump as U.S. president. (Chris Young/The Canadian Press)

11745 shares
  facebook-up.png
Facebook
 
  twitter-up.png
Twitter
 
  reddit-up.png
Reddit
 
  plus-up.png
Google
 
  share-up.png
Share
 
  email-up.png
Email
 

Americans threatening to move to Canada in the wake of Donald Trump's presidential victory are not welcome north of the border, outspoken hockey commentator Don Cherry suggested Wednesday.

The co-star of "Coach's Corner" took to Twitter late Wednesday morning to discourage any left-leaning U.S. citizens upset at the prospect of a Trump presidency from seeking refuge in Canada.

 

1) The left wing kook entertainers and the left wing weirdo’s in the media in the US have said if Trump wins the presidency they will move

2) to Canada. Please, we have enough of these type here now.

Cherry has made no secret of his right-leaning politics in the past.He spoke at the inauguration of former Toronto mayor Rob Ford in December 2010. He wore a pink suit, saying his choice of attire was "for all the pinkos out there that ride bicycles and everything."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dral said:

Truth... what we need are more moderates and less kooks on both sides

I would say we need more tolerance and respect for other peoples viewpoints regardless of where it lands in the political spectrum. As long as someone holds a view point that is valid and justified, we need to listen and respect it, not judge and condemn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You want more people protesting in downtown Vancouver? What are they even protesting here?

 

When i heard that the Canadian immigration website was down cause Trump was winning, I kinda shifted and wanted Hilary to win instead. The mass of freeloaders will strain the Canadian economy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of all, it's not like these people are going to move here. You don't just jump on a plane land at YVR and say, oh, I'm a Canadian now. It's a long process. I should know as i've lived in both countries over the past 3 decades. 

 

It's more of a statement than a reasoning. None of them are going to move here, none have. It was all pre election talk when all these celebrities thought Hillary was gonna win. Canada isn't a joke where any one just moves here if they like. It's a process and we pick and chose if we wanna let you live here. That's the point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CanucksHomer said:

You want more people protesting in downtown Vancouver? What are they even protesting here?

 

When i heard that the Canadian immigration website was down cause Trump was winning, I kinda shifted and wanted Hilary to win instead. The mass of freeloaders will strain the Canadian economy.


They are voicing their displeasure with a far-right governing body, something a free societies people is entitled to do. Would you want to be able to protest a far-left leaning government body you disagreed with?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

First of all, it's not like these people are going to move here. You don't just jump on a plane land at YVR and say, oh, I'm a Canadian now. It's a long process. I should know as i've lived in both countries over the past 3 decades. 

 

It's more of a statement than a reasoning. None of them are going to move here, none have. It was all pre election talk when all these celebrities thought Hillary was gonna win. Canada isn't a joke where any one just moves here if they like. It's a process and we pick and chose if we wanna let you live here. That's the point. 


Cherry was singling out people who had a different political ideology then himself, he wasn't making a statement about the Canadian immigration system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

First of all, it's not like these people are going to move here. You don't just jump on a plane land at YVR and say, oh, I'm a Canadian now. It's a long process. I should know as i've lived in both countries over the past 3 decades. 

 

It's more of a statement than a reasoning. None of them are going to move here, none have. It was all pre election talk when all these celebrities thought Hillary was gonna win. Canada isn't a joke where any one just moves here if they like. It's a process and we pick and chose if we wanna let you live here. That's the point. 

 

Searches for one-way ticket to Canada up 1000% on Wednesday.

 

http://www.businessinsider.com/beautiful-photos-of-canada-2016-11/#with-a-population-of-about-26-million-toronto-is-canadas-largest-city-with-world-class-restaurants-museums-universities-and-historic-districts-1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, hsedin33 said:


They are voicing their displeasure with a far-right governing body, something a free societies people is entitled to do. Would you want to be able to protest a far-left leaning government body you disagreed with?

I'm neither far right nor far left. THey can protest all they want. It's their country. Why would I have an issue with American's protesting. 

 

I'm just saying they were never gonna come here. Trump is president now. Lets see how many celebrities move here. 

 

So what I'm saying is, no you can't. They aren't anyways, why should we be their doormat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CanucksHomer said:

Like i said, you can't just buy a 1 way ticket to Canada and move here. Please do some research on immigration process. 

 

I lived, gone to school and have run family business in the US Canada and Asia. I know a thing or two about moving to a different country. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, hsedin33 said:


They are voicing their displeasure with a far-right governing body, something a free societies people is entitled to do. Would you want to be able to protest a far-left leaning government body you disagreed with?

 

I think their efforts are just misguided. Do you think any American gives a hoot about a couple hundred protesters in a different country?

They are chanting "No justice, no peace" ???? Justice for what?

 

And the "Love Trump Hate" signs. What a horrible slogan...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, WHL rocks said:

I'm neither far right nor far left. THey can protest all they want. It's their country. Why would I have an issue with American's protesting. 

 

I'm just saying they were never gonna come here. Trump is president now. Lets see how many celebrities move here. 

 

So what I'm saying is, no you can't. They aren't anyways, why should we be their doormat. 


Well, it is true that searches to Canada spikes every election and rarely ever happens. This election people are genuinely scared for their well-being, albeit I think they are over-reacting. But like what was said earlier, new immigrants don't put a strain on the system because they don't have health care etc straight away, they are putting money into the system and not taking any out. Also, if celebrities move to Canada, that will only serve to add and increase our economy as they will be fairly well off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm neither far right nor far left. THey can protest all they want. It's their country. Why would I have an issue with American's protesting. 

 

I'm just saying they were never gonna come here. Trump is president now. Lets see how many celebrities move here. 

 

So what I'm saying is, no you can't. They aren't anyways, why should we be their doormat. 

It's all talk, overwhelming majority of them just talk but will stay right where they are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Like i said, you can't just buy a 1 way ticket to Canada and move here. Please do some research on immigration process. 

 

I lived, gone to school and have run family business in the US Canada and Asia. I know a thing or two about moving to a different country. 

 

Lol no kidding!?

Tell that to the 11million illegals in the States, that's one reason why Trump won. These Liberal loons support open borders and believe they can go live wherever they want.

 

Funny thing is that all these people say that the right is racist but when Trump won, they all want to move to Canada, why not Mexico? LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, hsedin33 said:


Well, it is true that searches to Canada spikes every election and rarely ever happens. This election people are genuinely scared for their well-being, albeit I think they are over-reacting. But like what was said earlier, new immigrants don't put a strain on the system because they don't have health care etc straight away, they are putting money into the system and not taking any out. Also, if celebrities move to Canada, that will only serve to add and increase our economy as they will be fairly well off.

 

OK, lets take in more Chinese billionaires while we are at it to add to the economy. We know how that turned out. I would rather not turn into Hollywood North, might be too late though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...