The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks slow starts are a failure of coaching

*Buzzsaw*

11 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

A little change can sometimes lead to a big difference in the outcome...the Butterfly effect.::D 

Success breeds success...right now they are continuing to do the same things over and over and expecting different results.  It's not working.

This is my theory. 

If you look at the types of players we are drafting and what the Boston Bruins looked like. They are trying to tattoo a brand or identity to this team and we don't have the players to really carry this out with success right now. I am a believer in a sound structure and like I said before the only thing I'm bought into right now is what the coaching staff is trying to achieve. Do we really want to be changing our way of playing every year? 

17 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I love it when you trash people for having an opinion, thats kind of the point of CDC :rolleyes:

We haven't seen the twins and loui together long enough to say the cycle is dead. 

Yes we do have 2 D guy that can jump up, Hutton and Stecher. No one has more than 1 Subban.

Yes, lots of SOG, not screened, no traffic, that pretty much any NHL goalie can stop. If we don't get traffic in front of the net this team cannot score. 

create traffic for what shot? 

17 minutes ago, xereau said:

A dump and chase system does not work with the bodies this team has.

I prefer the dump and flush system. Much cleaner entry and exit.    After the tank is flushed  I'll be happy with Patrick if only we would be so lucky:lol:

I'm very jealous of the teams who have good coaches. Coaches that know what they're doing. Especially with the young kids. Someone that can be with the Canucks for a long time. I can't wait till we have that coach on our team. Wherever he is, I'm excited to have him. Hopefully he comes to this team sooner than later. 

Look at the best coaches in the league quenneville, ruff, hitchcock sutter.  All coaches who are provided excellent players to coach on excellent teams.  Our team is so bad if any came here they would retire in a year or two.   Our team is junk blaming coaching is a scapegoat move, which in the end will fix nothing on our dismall club.  In actuality it might be a detrament to our youth to run through different coaches and systems at this point. 

I kind of disagree and have to ask Is this thread based on the last 6 games? If so , it is common that the home team comes out with a lot of energy and bombards the the road team for 5-10 minutes . The Canucks have outplayed their opposition lately despite slow starts and will play differently at home. Take a team like Pittsburgh and put them in a game in say Columbus. The Blue jackets will come out strong  for 5-10 minutes and it has nothing to do with coaching, it's home ice advantage . Overall we have played better since the Toronto game and I haven't written the team off yet.

28 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

create traffic for what shot? 

I have no problem with structure and recognize it is essential in today's NHL.  I struggle with deployment and getting the most of the group he has. 

Chicago has some promising youngsters...they play them in the top 6 and let the vets develop them in the NHL.  WD starts them all in 4th or 3rd line defensive roles and trains them to be average all around players and coaches the offense out of them...exactly what Trotz commented on.

Is it not possible to play sound defense and still split the twins?  Maybe play Dan with Bo and see if they can generate something?  WD appears very limited in his vision and ability to adjust or adapt.  It is why Calgary embarrassed this team 2 years ago and a part of why we look so awful now.

49 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I love it when you trash people for having an opinion, thats kind of the point of CDC :rolleyes:

We haven't seen the twins and loui together long enough to say the cycle is dead. 

Yes we do have 2 D guy that can jump up, Hutton and Stecher. No one has more than 1 Subban.

Yes, lots of SOG, not screened, no traffic, that pretty much any NHL goalie can stop. If we don't get traffic in front of the net this team cannot score. 

You either don't read very well or don't read at all. 

4 hours ago, LaBamba said:

if you know so much about coaching, tell us what WD is doing wrong systematically. 

Yeah, still waiting on one of the outspoken, protesting armchairs to step up.

One 's'all' posting a video of the trap, as comical as that is, doesn't qualify.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Yeah, still waiting on one of the outspoken, protesting armchairs to step up.

One 's'all' posting a video of the trap, as comical as that is, doesn't qualify.

Coaching and Goaltending are the only thing going well this year. If WD is doing such a bad job I want to see evidence, not a hissy fit over who they think should play and when. They know more than the coach from the comfort of their homes. Pretty impressive. 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Coaching and Goaltending are the only thing going well this year. If WD is doing such a bad job I want to see evidence, not a hissy fit over who they think should play and when. They know more than the coach from the comfort of their homes. Pretty impressive. 

Man.  I'm sorry but I have to take issue with the deployment of Bo Horvat.  And sadly, at this point,  I'd also have to question the sedinLE line starting games and periods.

other than that I agree with you.  

Wd is doing what he can with what he has.  A stripped down system that we can't even make work.

and literally no shot from the point.

Just now, LaBamba said:

I'd add defensive systems to that.

They've drastically reduced the shots they're giving up, they have given up little extended possession in their zone where they're chasing like they did with a very young group last year, and they're giving up very few odd man rushes, despite playing from behind the vast majority of the time.  Even without Tanev and with a very young blueline (where Edler is the elder and Sbisa the next oldest presence), theyre playing solid defensive hockey.  

Their team shooting percentage is horrible - a league last 6.41% - otherwise they're in the top half of the NHL in shots as well.

Part of that is just bad luck and part of that is a need for a greater net front presence and making life more difficult for opposing goaltenders, but balancing that back to the mean/average adds about 10 goals to their output thus far - which would change their results fairly dramatically.

10 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Man.  I'm sorry but I have to take issue with the deployment of Bo Horvat.  And sadly, at this point,  I'd also have to question the sedinLE line starting games and periods.

Wd is doing what he can with what he has.  A stripped down system that we can't even make work.

In what sense though?

He's top 6 in 5 on 5 minutes.

Henrik is the only center with higher ozone starts (he's tied with Sutter in that respect).

He's 5th among forwards in powerplay minutes.

He's getting top 6 minutes in all situations, and he's not really chained to the dzone - in fact Gaunce is the guy getting 16.2% ozone starts (and doing a hell of a job of it imo, particularly for a rookie).   The nice sign there is that Gaunce could be a key in the near future to freeing up Horvat even more.

Not sure what the issue is but I'm curious.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'd add defensive systems to that.

They've drastically reduced the shots they're giving up, they have given up little extended possession in their zone where they're chasing like they did with a very young group last year, and they're giving up very few odd man rushes, despite playing from behind the vast majority of the time.  Even without Tanev and with a very young blueline (where Edler is the elder and Sbisa the next oldest presence), theyre playing solid defensive hockey.  

Their team shooting percentage is horrible - a league last 6.41% - otherwise they're in the top half of the NHL in shots as well.

Part of that is just bad luck and part of that is a need for a greater net front presence and making life more difficult for opposing goaltenders, but balancing that back to the mean/average adds about 10 goals to their output thus far - which would change their results fairly dramatically.

For all the times you piss me off you make it all better with a masterpiece like this. May Donald Trump bless you. 

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

In what sense though?

He's top 6 in 5 on 5 minutes.

Henrik is the only center with higher ozone starts (he's tied with Sutter in that respect).

He's 5 among forwards in powerplay minutes.

Not sure what the issue is but I'm curious.

I was referring to games up to and including the islanders game (the last of which being the most questionable). Admittedly I had to pvr Detroit and nyr and didn't end up watching the game vs the Rangers.  Up to the isles game he had less ozone starts than sutter or henrik while still being our top scorer not on the the top line.  Just seems counterintuitive to offence production.

and imo 5th in pp minutes is simply not enough, again, based on what he has produced so far.  As @LaBamba has said and I agree with; there is no threat from the point which is what the sedins need for their cycle to work.  I'd rather see Bo with more pp minutes down low and or power moves to net presence, than an inept cycle that dies at the blue line.

sutter has all but disappeared and I'm not going to get into LE.

17 minutes ago, riffraff said:

What's worse is that Doug Jarvis is implementing these systems..If WD goes,and Jarvis is here,I'd say its pretty much more of the same....Everybody's scoring has gone off a cliff.

eh...I have my problems with Mr 1-2-3-4 Willie but he can't make chicken salad out of chicken manure.

A bad team that spends something like $70 million?  Seems like the bigger problems are elsewhere in management.

My biggest worry is a housecleaning that leaves Weisbrod as the GM. 

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

This is my theory. 

If you look at the types of players we are drafting and what the Boston Bruins looked like. They are trying to tattoo a brand or identity to this team and we don't have the players to really carry this out with success right now. I am a believer in a sound structure and like I said before the only thing I'm bought into right now is what the coaching staff is trying to achieve. Do we really want to be changing our way of playing every year? 

Thats why I'm happy we have Bo. I think he is the perfect player to build your team and team identity around.

Also I dont think people are really "getting" what you mean haha

Archived