The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ferraro: Canucks must let kids play through their mistakes...

Honky Cat

6 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/ferraro-canucks-must-let-kids-play-through-mistakes-1.606278

Ray Ferraro gives some insight as to what the Canucks should be doing with their younger players..A lot of good points here...

Fire Willy now.  We need a coach that know how to develop our younger players.

In order to be competitive teams need to develop players. You can do that in the ahl and (yes this is shocking) also in the NHL. 

When you develop players at the Nhl they will make some mistakes and it can cost you some games. But that doesn't mean a coach should be afraid to play them. A coach has to teach a player to learn from their mistakes so that eventually they make less. Having them sit and watching isn't teaching.  Having them scared to make a mistake because the will sit doesn't make them better. 

typically cup teams can afford to develop players in the ahl. They can win without those players and let them dominated the ahl before making the jump. But cup contending teams also can't afford too many young players making mistaking. cup contending teams #1 focus is to win and win now. 

Since rebuilding teams can't keep up with the skilled cup contending teams they can afford to develop players at the NHL level and get them a head start on Nhl experience. rebuilding teams main focus is to win in the future. Developing players to help them tomorrow is more of a focus. You can stay competitive and rebuild. You just have to be ok with the mistakes a young team might make. Mistake that may cost you games.

Contending teams and rebuilding teams have different goals. Contending teams success is based on team records and how far they made it in the post season. Rebuilding teams goal is based on how much progress young players made. 

With that said. What type of team are the Canucks?  

So at the end of the year will we look back and say we accomplished our goal? 

Which model should we follow. 

we didn't make playoffs but at least dorsett, skille and burrows tried hard.  

Or 

we didn't make playoffs but jake, Hutton, bo and Sven have sure made good strides at becoming consistent impact players.   

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

In order to be competitive teams need to develop players. You can do that in the ahl and (yes this is shocking) also in the NHL. 

When you develop players at the Nhl they will make some mistakes and it can cost you some games. But that doesn't mean a coach should be afraid to play them. A coach has to teach a player to learn from their mistakes so that eventually they make less. Having them sit and watching isn't teaching.  Having them scared to make a mistake because the will sit doesn't make them better. 

typically cup teams can afford to develop players in the ahl. They can win without those players and let them dominated the ahl before making the jump. But cup contending teams also can't afford too many young players making mistaking. cup contending teams #1 focus is to win and win now. 

Since rebuilding teams can't keep up with the skilled cup contending teams they can afford to develop players at the NHL level and get them a head start on Nhl experience. rebuilding teams main focus is to win in the future. Developing players to help them tomorrow is more of a focus. You can stay competitive and rebuild. You just have to be ok with the mistakes a young team might make. Mistake that may cost you games.

Contending teams and rebuilding teams have different goals. Contending teams success is based on team records and how far they made it in the post season. Rebuilding teams goal is based on how much progress young players made. 

With that said. What type of team are the Canucks?  

So at the end of the year will we look back and say we accomplished our goal? 

Which model should we follow. 

we didn't make playoffs but at least dorsett, skille and burrows tried hard.  

Or 

we didn't make playoffs but jake, Hutton, bo and Sven have sure made good strides at becoming consistent impact players.   

Nicely put.  If we're not contending, we better be working toward contending somewhere down the road.  Which means giving the young guys the lion's share of the ice time.  When you hire a new employee, you don't "ease them in" while letting senior employees do mountains of overtime.  You balance it out, and assume ppl will learn on the job.

Bo, Virt and ? Baer? become first line players in minutes, Daniel, Henrik become second liners (and if they don't like it... lol... trade time!)  Guys like Sutter and Eriksson are still kind of useful (Sutter more than E.) but guys like Tanev, Hansen, Dorsett and Edler can be moved asap.  I just don't understand why the rebuild wasn't launched last Spring/Summer.   Better now than never though.  Skille is a waste of time and space; Burrows can play out his contract here or in Utica, doesn't matter.

29 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He developed Horvat and Hutton just fine...

Im so tired of seeing this. Hutton was instantly plugged in to the line-up nothing to do with WD. He made the strides on his own. Bo last year was lighting it up in the second half and WD didnt like the fact that he was playing more offense than defense which made no sense considering the team lacked a lot of offense last year. 

5 minutes ago, Gloku said:

Im so tired of seeing this. Hutton was instantly plugged in to the line-up nothing to do with WD. He made the strides on his own. Bo last year was lighting it up in the second half and WD didnt like the fact than he was playing more offense that defense. 

And I'm so tired of these comments anytime cdc decides the coach is the new whipping boy there's a plethora of happenstance excuses as to why the players are developing despite the coach.

If you're going to **** on the coach for every minuscule thing going wrong you should at least give him credit for the things he's doing right.  

He did a good job last year developing both Hutton and Horvat as well as Baertschi for that matter period end of story. 

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

And I'm so tired of these comments anytime cdc decides the coach is the new whipping boy there's a plethora of happenstance excuses as to why the players are developing despite the coach.

If you're going to **** on the coach for every minuscule thing going wrong you should at least give him credit for the things he's doing right.  

He did a good job last year developing both Hutton and Horvat as well as Baertschi for that matter period end of story. 

Other than the 100pt season he literally has done nothing. I dont even credit that season to him. Any of the players would of improved regardless of who was behind that bench after the torts disaster. This seasons defensive success is solely on Jarvis. Il say again Hutton was plugged in to the line-up he made those strides alone. Baertschi mostly got his confidence due to his stint in utica and having a coach who believed in him and didn't belittle him. 

Just now, Gloku said:

Other than the 100pt season he literally has done nothing. I dont even credit that season to him. Any of the players would of improved regardless of who was behind that bench after the torts disaster. This seasons defensive success is solely on Jarvis. Il say again Hutton was plugged in to the line-up he made those strides alone. Baertschi mostly got his confidence due to his stint in utica and having a coach who believed in him and didn't belittle him. 

Lol ok not even worth discussing any further with you then.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Fire Willy now.  We need a coach that know how to develop our younger players.

You guys don't get it. Willie was told 2 things at the beginning of the year. 

1) Play a more defensive system.

2) Make the playoffs.

I think it's clear as day that we aren't making the playoffs, but WD is just following orders so he can save his ass. 

The only scenario where we would benefit from a different coach would be if Travis Green came in and was told that we are in a full rebuild and to ride or die with these young guys. 

I think I speak for the majority of Canucks fans when I say that we wanna see Horvat in an offensive role as 2C.

We want Stetcher/Tryamkin to play every game moving forward. 

We want Jake getting big minutes either here or Utica. 

We want Markstrom getting the majority of the starts.

And....we want a bloody firesale at the deadline! 

That should be the orders given from management and ownership needs to keep their mouths shut. It's time to do what's best for this franchise. 

End rant.

23 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/ferraro-canucks-must-let-kids-play-through-mistakes-1.606278

Ray Ferraro gives some insight as to what the Canucks should be doing with their younger players..A lot of good points here...

This is news?  injuries will happen, younger stepping in and learning how to adapt and learn the bigger roles. How is this new exactly? 

Sounds like the summer all over again, aren't we past that????

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

You guys don't get it. Willie was told 2 things at the beginning of the year. 

1) Play a more defensive system.

2) Make the playoffs.

I think it's clear as day that we aren't making the playoffs, but WD is just following orders so he can save his ass. 

The only scenario where we would benefit from a different coach would be if Travis Green came in and was told that we are in a full rebuild and to ride or die with these young guys. 

I think I speak for the majority of Canucks fans when I say that we wanna see Horvat in an offensive role as 2C.

We want Stetcher/Tryamkin to play every game moving forward. 

We want Jake getting big minutes either here or Utica. 

We want Markstrom getting the majority of the starts.

And....we want a bloody firesale at the deadline! 

That should be the orders given from management and ownership needs to keep their mouths shut. It's time to do what's best for this franchise. 

End rant.

Exactly.  I might even suggest Horvat as 1C, or co-1C with Henrik.  Bo needs the ice time, as do the other younger players who can score.  We hear that Bo's minutes are under 15 some of the time!!! Dorsett and Burrows at 16, Edler etc., at 17 to 19 lol.  Time to turn the page.

1 hour ago, Gloku said:

This is literally the dumbest thing posted.  

Archived