The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Identity waiting for Pedan

By sea and land

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Trollolololozzz!!!!!!!

Do you even know what the chances of a 3rd rounder making the NHLzzz are?!? Lolz you might as well ask a random person on the street to try out for the team lolzzz.  Pedan is still an asset. Since JB is so good at trading we clearly underpaid for Pedan. We could probably fetch a late 1st or early 2nd at the deadlinezzz. Benning always makes something out of nothing. A lot of GMzzz are afraid to answer the phone when Jim callzzz. There are rumours he can hypnotize people into tradezzz

You're trying too hard.

OP, while I agree we could use someone of Pedans ilk on the 4th line he won't change the teams identity. But at least he would make us tougher to play against.

27 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Where as I want to see Pedan make the Canucks I doubt it will be as a forward..and quite possibly not  as a D either...he is buried behind so many Dmen now I dont see how he even gets a call up...there has to be some D moved out for that to happen...I like Pedan and what he brings but he isnt off to a stellar year in Utica..not bad but not great either...if he doesnt do well this season  I doubt the Canucks will even resign him.

My thoughts exactly... would rather see him focus on his offensive production in the A with big minutes than come up to play an enforcer role that could be going the way of the dinosaur.  At least that way he could potentially force himself into the equation as a valid NHL option for the future, since he did put up solid numbers in the minors just last season I think.

Speaking of which, can anyone following the Comets speak into why he's off to such a slow start (0-0-0 in 10 games)?

i totally agree...you need to dictate the game at times..let your skill guys play and the 4th line hit and police.this makes for a better team and more entertainment.you need to be creative as a gm or owner or coach.i don't see this yet...you don't blow it up you slowly add better guys.

Pedan should stay a D man. Edler needs to be replaced soon. I say that because he Edler apperas to be playing hurt. I think he has been doing that for a while now. In any contact with opposing players he seems reluctant to do what is necessary but relies mainly on his stick This is why Pedan should stay a Dman. There is already too much over thinking a simple game by the coaches.

9 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

idk why people want pedan as a forward so much, especially being wasted on the 4th line. he can develop into a pretty reliable guy on the back end, with a mean streak. you can still have toughness on a team that doesn't have to be on the 4th line. it also helps having a coach know can coach at an nhl level

Totally agree.  Would way rather see Pedan develop into a 3rd pairing D-man.  He will play more meaningful minutes and then we will have 3 D pairings that clear the net and stick up for our goalies.  

9 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Rodin-Horvat-Ericsson

Baertschi-Granlund-Sutter

Burrows-Guance-Virtanen

Dorsett 

Skille waived

If everyone is healthy by mid December.

Edler-Gudbransson

Hutton-Tanev

Sbisa-Tryamkin

I like that forward group. Put Horvat in a scoring position with two scoring wingers.

12 hours ago, Sygvard said:

I honestly don't think that ANYONE playing 6 minutes a game will play any significant role in a teams identity. 

I like you.

But yeah, Pedan is not the answer, and he certainly won't change anything that could be wrong with team identity (which is developing with the newer, younger players vs non-existent).

4 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Where as I want to see Pedan make the Canucks I doubt it will be as a forward..and quite possibly not  as a D either...he is buried behind so many Dmen now I dont see how he even gets a call up...there has to be some D moved out for that to happen...I like Pedan and what he brings but he isnt off to a stellar year in Utica..not bad but not great either...if he doesnt do well this season  I doubt the Canucks will even resign him.

Pedan will arrive after we trade Tanev for a proven power forward, Stetcher already covers Tanev's position perfectly, if not better, whilst Tanev is injured. Pedan will then arrive as our rotating 7th Dman.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

I like you.

But yeah, Pedan is not the answer, and he certainly won't change anything that could be wrong with team identity (which is developing with the newer, younger players vs non-existent).

Pedan will arrive after we trade Tanev for a proven power forward, Stetcher already covers Tanev's position perfectly, if not better, whilst Tanev is injured. Pedan will then arrive as our rotating 7th Dman.

6 hours ago, Type R said:

Honestly, I have zero issue with our fourth line.  Gaunce is learning his game, Dorsett is earning his pay, and Burrows is offering leadership through example.  They create chances, piss off the opposing team and get the puck out of our zone.  They aren't perfect, but they perform their role decently, the improvements we need is further up the food chain.

We need Rodin on the team and providing secondary scoring, we need Baertschi and Horvat playing in a scoring line and with some confidence.  We need Hansen healthy and playing with Sutter (speed game) and honestly, we need to split the Sedins between the top lines.  Daniel should play with Sutter and Hansen (Anchor the speed game with skill), and Henrik & Erikson should be playing together.  Keep the Sedin's on the #1PP with Erikson, but for now, I would love to see this as it would be tougher to defend against.

Pretty much.  Pedan isn't the answer.  He has been bypassed depth wise.  He'll be a career AHLer.  People like that he is a good fighter but it takes more than that these days.

The 4th line does it's job.  If they can fore check and hem the opposition in their own end for a while, then great.  Pop in the odd goal, bonus.

The team needs scoring and a healthy Rodin may be just the ticket.  They could use a little more jam in the top 6.  Maybe that's Virtanen if he figures it out but what they really need is scoring.  If and I'm saying If, Eriksson, Baertschi, Sutter, Hanesn, Granlund and the Lone Ranger, Anton Rodin can get over their slumps and pot 15+ goals each, it could make a big difference.

20 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Not that that has anything to do with Pedan having no effect on our team identity. Or do you think he'll be particularly impactful as a 7th/8th D for us?

12 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Pretty much.  Pedan isn't the answer.  He has been bypassed depth wise.  He'll be a career AHLer.  People like that he is a good fighter but it takes more than that these days.

The 4th line does it's job.  If they can fore check and hem the opposition in their own end for a while, then great.  Pop in the odd goal, bonus.

The team needs scoring and a healthy Rodin may be just the ticket.  They could use a little more jam in the top 6.  Maybe that's Virtanen if he figures it out but what they really need is scoring.  If and I'm saying If, Eriksson, Baertschi, Sutter, Hanesn, Granlund and the Lone Ranger, Anton Rodin can get over their slumps and pot 15+ goals each, it could make a big difference.

According to mgmt they are not doing their job.  Mgmt said our fourth line would out score our opponents fourth line.  

Not to say that our fourth line is why we are losing, but they don't do much: no scoring, minimal physical play, and so far skille has managed to give Dorsett a run for his money in the stupid penalty category.

14 hours ago, By sea and land said:

We all know we have no team identity, correct?

An easy solution in my eyes is to target and reshape our 4th line.  If you're a 4th liner chances are you're not scoring many goals or getting any PP time.  For this reason alone, it's my opinion that you SHOULD specialize in one thing if you're on the 4th line.

Centerman should be a solid skater and excel in the faceoff dot.  Nothing else much matters.  This is a low salary position to fulfill.  Can Guance be this guy?

Left Wing.  This SHOULD be Andrey Pedan.  I realize he's a Dman but with the emergence of Tryamkin (towering left hand Dman) and the likes of Edler, Hutton and Sbisa in front of him, not to forget Juolevi and perhaps Brisbois (all left handed and play left side), is there room for Pedan back there?  Sure Tryamkin can play both sides but Tanev, Stecher and Gudbranson are currently there.  Larsen and Biega hanging around too.

Pedan has improved his skating and could pass as a 4th line LW.  Why propose this?  Because he specializes in toughness, something our team desperately lacks.  Dorsett would play RW and suddenly we have a 4th line that can skate well enough and a line that can police a game.

It's my belief that Virtanen plays with more spunk if he knows he doesn't have to fight if he throws a big hit or crashes the net.

Baertschi, Bo, and Granlund can play a skill game and throw in an odd facewashing knowing their 4th line is watching.

I believe we'd play bigger, hungrier but most importantly it would give our team a bit more of an identity.

I don't buy for a minute that we can play the 'no tough guy' act like Detroit in years past because we don't have the roster or skill to do so.  Sorry but Chaput and Burrows on the 4th line offer us what exactly?  We need a 4th line that can not get scored on, police a game, give us some team toughness and let players in front of them play bigger.  They only get 6-7 minutes of ice per game.

Danny. Hank. Eriksson

Sven. Bo. Virtanen 

Granlund. Sutter. Burrows/Hansen

Pedan. Guance. Dorsett

Burrows in press box once Hansen gets healthy.

Edler. Tanev

Hutton. Gudbranson 

Tryamkin. Stecher

Sbisa

Thoughts?  Would this be better than what we have currently?  Team toughness with solid D play and goaltending is within grasp.

Thats a team identity I'd like to see.  Our 4th line offers us zero.  Notta.  Zilch!

No. Add a D to the 4th line will not help this team. 

They need to inject skill, speed and scoring if they want to improve.  And that goes for all the lines, not just the 4th line.

56 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Not that that has anything to do with Pedan having no effect on our team identity. Or do you think he'll be particularly impactful as a 7th/8th D for us?

Yes I do, Andrey is a better player than most people think. TGreen speaks highly of him, his character is tops, his passing is clean, a powerful slap shot (clocked at 104mph last year) and another big man who skates exceptionally .we already know he is unintimidated, fearless, and has that mean edge that any team needs on D.

Pedan in our D core will prove to balance the physical-skill ratio we have upcoming in the future.

This is the core I see without offering it as a prediction or in pairing..  this is what we have now, and possibly in the near future.

Edler Gudbranson  Stetcher Tryamkin Joulevi Pedan Hutton Brisboise....

That's not looking bad at all.

7 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

No. Add a D to the 4th line will not help this team. 

They need to inject skill, speed and scoring if they want to improve.  And that goes for all the lines, not just the 4th line.

Of course, but how?  Benning isn't trading any of our young pieces and I doubt many GMs are lining up for anybody who isn't one of our young pieces.

Can anyone recall the high elbow Matthew Tkachuk landed on Jeff Carters chin last week on Hockey Night in Canada?  Yes, 19 year old rookie took a liberty on Jeff Carter, one of the leagues better players.

He must feel comfortable knowing that Enggland, Ferland and Bouma have his back.  "Go play kid.  Do what you do, we got your back."  I love this (not the elbow but the reassurance).  Would sure be nice if Virtanen had that support and assurance.

The very next shift Kyle Clifford hops over the boards and gets in Tkachuks face.  Probably got a stern warning; better not do it again, or else.  Clifford, Nolan and Forbort all watching closely.  Policing the game and I never saw Calgary take any more liberties that game.

Sure this might not be the ultimate Team Identity we're striving for here in Vancouver but with our current lineup today (not winning the cup) and our current roster make-up (light on high end talent), this is an identity within reach and one we can gain confidence in.

We don't have to trade for Pedan. He's here.  Use him.  Police our guys so hits like Kadri's on Daniel don't happen again.  Rielly's hit on Hansen doesn't happen again.

But if it does happen again, Pedan and Dorsett get the tap on the shoulder.

Maybe we win more games, maybe we don't.  Doesn't matter.  So long as other teams know you're not taking liberties on us, then we know we have a team identity.  We're tough, we're defensive, and we're competitive. We are NOT pushovers.

I understand wanting Pedan to make it as a Dman, I get it.  I just don't see a path for him unless there's a trade in the works to ship out Sbisa or Edler.

Question:  Put yourself on the team and he inside the Canuck locker room.  As you're tieing your laces you look around the room and see who's sitting next to you. Do you feel better seeing Burrows, Skille, Guance, Chaput, Zalewski who will chip pucks in deep and create notta?  Or would you like to see Pedan (tough guy and I use him because he's already in our system) who specializes in something: Toughness?  He's got you back.

I know who I want on my team.  Just my opinion but as far as I'm concerned, there's still room for 'some' old time hockey in today's NHL.

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Yes I do, Andrey is a better player than most people think. TGreen speaks highly of him, his character is tops, his passing is clean, a powerful slap shot (clocked at 104mph last year) and another big man who skates exceptionally .we already know he is unintimidated, fearless, and has that mean edge that any team needs on D.

Pedan in our D core will prove to balance the physical-skill ratio we have upcoming in the future.

This is the core I see without offering it as a prediction or in pairing..  this is what we have now, and possibly in the near future.

Edler Gudbranson  Stetcher Tryamkin Joulevi Pedan Hutton Brisboise....

That's not looking bad at all.

If he was that good he would have made the team as a defenceman.

He has good qualities, sure, but even if he was McDavid he wouldn't have much impact as the 7th/8th guy when we only need 6 in a given night. He is definitely not McDavid though, and he's not changing our fortunes, identity or anything else.

Archived