The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Identity waiting for Pedan

By sea and land

8 hours ago, elvis15 said:

If he was that good he would have made the team as a defenceman.

He has good qualities, sure, but even if he was McDavid he wouldn't have much impact as the 7th/8th guy when we only need 6 in a given night. He is definitely not McDavid though, and he's not changing our fortunes, identity or anything else.

Eh??  You can not compare Pedan to McDavid.

One the reasons he didn't make the team was to protect him from the expansion draft at the end of the season and allow Biegga to collect the 40 ? NHL games he needs to have so that Biegga and one other D are exposed for that.

.. and yes, if he gets here, he helps, with others, to change our teams identity.

On November 12, 2016 at 7:52 AM, Canucklehead73 said:

I'm not sold on Pedan, fighting might not present itself very often and I do not see the hitting in the NHL I would expect from a gritty guy trying to make the team. I mean if your not fighting, scoring or hitting... What exactly would Pedan bring as his identity? I know it's a small sample size... I do agree we need to lay more hits out there, teams know they can skate freely against us because nobody lays the body outside of Gudbranson, Sbisa and Tryamkin. Edler a bit. Our forwards are soft as butter, including Dorsett

Burrows I would agree with you... Hasn't been terrible defensively but outside his 2 goal game the other night he had zero points and looked slow out there.

Chaput, I was actually pleasantly surprised with since I had not seen him play at all... Decent speed on the fore check, got 1 point in 3 games and still even.

We suffer from soft players up front. We need to battle more (if they are even capable) a lot of our forwards are easily neutralized by opposing defense. One of the more annoying traits I find with our forwards is that our smaller players cant skate... It's one thing to give up a physical game for a speed game and another to give up both.

possibly the softest NHL forward group ever assembled. and lowest scoring ... fatal combination.

thought the Bruins ex AGM was gonna toughen up this teams identity,

but nope.

gotta wonder if the Bertuzzi lawsuit will ensure this fanbase gets a soft team until it gets new owners.

17 minutes ago, Positive Canuck said:

possibly the softest NHL forward group ever assembled. and lowest scoring ... fatal combination.

thought the Bruins ex AGM was gonna toughen up this teams identity,

but nope.

gotta wonder if the Bertuzzi lawsuit will ensure this fanbase gets a soft team until it gets new owners.

Agree PC, .  I think JB was really hoping that Lucic would land here..  Having a fearless power forward would be helping with Jakes development at this level too. Really hope Jake stays in Utica until Christmas, he is better off away from this mess.

and to note,. I think the whole Bertuzzi incident still has quite a chunk of the fan base, peeking out of the hole they climbed into, scared and chirping about what players not to bring here.

Gotta give JB credit though, or D core is looking much better,Pedan is part of that... and the acquisition of Miller a beauty, and will pay a great dividend at the end of the season. 

17 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Agree PC, .  I think JB was really hoping that Lucic would land here..  Having a fearless power forward would be helping with Jakes development at this level too. Really hope Jake stays in Utica until Christmas, he is better off away from this mess.

and to note,. I think the whole Bertuzzi incident still has quite a chunk of the fan base, peeking out of the hole they climbed into, scared and chirping about what players not to bring here.

Gotta give JB credit though, or D core is looking much better,Pedan is part of that... and the acquisition of Miller a beauty, and will pay a great dividend at the end of the season. 

i just understand how in a division a savage as the Pacific you ice a nucleus of Sedins,Hansen,Baerschi,Granlund,Ericsson,Sutter etc...in your forward group, literally the least intimidating core ever assembled and scratch your head wondering why they cant score or get to the net.

yes i agree Tryamkin and Gudbranson is a step in the right direction but the forward group is laughable in every category. the numbers back that opinion up.

1 minute ago, Positive Canuck said:

i just understand how in a division a savage as the Pacific you ice a nucleus of Sedins,Hansen,Baerschi,Granlund,Ericsson,Sutter etc...in your forward group, literally the least intimidating core ever assembled and scratch your head wondering why they cant score or get to the net.

yes i agree Tryamkin and Gudbranson is a step in the right direction but the forward group is laughable in every category. the numbers back that opinion up.

To JB's credit though, solidifying a new identity in a youthful D core first, with good goaltending was a priority.

What we have now  looks to be very promising, should blossom inside of 2 years and be solid for 4 years after that.

We are on the cusp of losing some high cap hit contracts within that 2 year window.. eg. Miller, Burrows.

Prepare for some changes up front soon... and I think, because his contract allows it, CTanev has a red circle around his name on a chalk board some where.

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Eh??  You can not compare Pedan to McDavid.

One the reasons he didn't make the team was to protect him from the expansion draft at the end of the season and allow Biegga to collect the 40 ? NHL games he needs to have so that Biegga and one other D are exposed for that.

.. and yes, if he gets here, he helps, with others, to change our teams identity.

You can compare Pedan to anyone you like. If they're outside of regular playing time in the depth chart, they aren't going to have an impact.

You're going to have to do a much better job of explaining how he would utilize all those skills from the press box most nights, and how it would have any significant impact on our team identity.

5 hours ago, elvis15 said:

You can compare Pedan to anyone you like. If they're outside of regular playing time in the depth chart, they aren't going to have an impact.

You're going to have to do a much better job of explaining how he would utilize all those skills from the press box most nights, and how it would have any significant impact on our team identity.

I haven't compared Pedan to anyone,.. you have.

Ive said I can see him rolling in as the 7th D.. IF they trade Tanev for a forward.

They won't bring Pedan up now because they would be playing with waiver issues and need to protect him.

If he was the regular 7th D,. Any injury to one of six D men in front of him gets him decent minutes..  

He is a physically impactive Dman, that contributes to the identity that our Dcore seems to be taking.

If you need an example of this scenario,. Tanev has been IR for almost a month Stetcher has filled in nicely.

I seem to remember a Kings game last year where Pedan was impactive with limited mins.. perhaps if WD used Pedan more when he had him here, Pedan would have Biegga's position.

Pedan would be a presence that should be embraced to play the more physically challenging teams we encounter.

too many people like yourself expecting a McDavid to appear to create a "team identity".. look for a combination of key players to do that.. not the singular form.

On 11/12/2016 at 10:34 PM, By sea and land said:

Of course, but how?  Benning isn't trading any of our young pieces and I doubt many GMs are lining up for anybody who isn't one of our young pieces.

It starts with making better decisions at the trade deadline and in the offseason. 

- Accumulated draft picks and focus on skill

- Don't trade the team's best young skill player for a meat and potatos, stay at home D 

- Don't give up the future to plug holes

- Stop tossing in free picks when you trade

- Make better decisions on UFAs, ie, don't sign a guy that's a 45-55 pts player for 75pts type money and term

18 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I haven't compared Pedan to anyone,.. you have.

Ive said I can see him rolling in as the 7th D.. IF they trade Tanev for a forward.

They won't bring Pedan up now because they would be playing with waiver issues and need to protect him.

If he was the regular 7th D,. Any injury to one of six D men in front of him gets him decent minutes..  

He is a physically impactive Dman, that contributes to the identity that our Dcore seems to be taking.

If you need an example of this scenario,. Tanev has been IR for almost a month Stetcher has filled in nicely.

I seem to remember a Kings game last year where Pedan was impactive with limited mins.. perhaps if WD used Pedan more when he had him here, Pedan would have Biegga's position.

Pedan would be a presence that should be embraced to play the more physically challenging teams we encounter.

too many people like yourself expecting a McDavid to appear to create a "team identity".. look for a combination of key players to do that.. not the singular form.

I know I have, and I'm saying it doesn't matter who you compare him to - anyone playing outside the regular roster isn't going to have a significant impact on anything. But keep ignoring that because I mentioned McDavid.

Edler, Hutton, Sbisa and Tryamkin are ahead of him. Tanev plays the right side, opposite of Pedan. Stecher and Gudbranson are ahead of him there, even without Tanev. Larsen and Biega are arguable to be so, since they've at least shown they can be reasonable in regular minutes for injury coverage in the NHL. Maybe we lose Sbisa in the expansion draft and walk away from Larsen, but then Juolevi will be a year closer and on the left side again.

Pedan helps the Comets with regular minutes and a physical style. He didn't step up and earn a spot in camp this year like we hoped and cleared waivers as a result. But that's what I'm saying, he's not going to have the impact of someone like McDavid when he's at best an injury replacement, and apart from having a limited impact on a shift by shift basis, he won't have a larger overall impact that will change this team's identity.

You're the one describing him as follows, making it sound as if he's a blue chip defensive prospect:

On 11/13/2016 at 1:26 AM, elvis15 said:

his character is tops, his passing is clean, a powerful slap shot (clocked at 104mph last year) and another big man who skates exceptionally .we already know he is unintimidated, fearless, and has that mean edge that any team needs on D.

Maybe it's a good time for you to go back and look at my original post you quoted to start this discussion. As I said above, I mentioned specifically that Pedan will not change this team's identity (in particular anything that could be wrong with it) to which you replied Pedan will arrive as a rotating 7th D-man and he will be impactful on our team identity.

Maybe, just maybe, when he plays he'll add to our identity - even if he'd only be a small percentage of what others will be bringing with more minutes and larger roles (Gudbranson for instance, and Tryamkin already having more of an effect, or even someone like Virtanen will have way more opportunity to do so). That might fit more with you taking about the "it takes a village" approach, but then I have no idea why you've billed him so highly and felt a need to try and correct me with my statement about him not changing out identity as is the premise of this thread.

4 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I hope most of you have been following him down in Utica because although he plays hard, he still gets beat often for goals against.  If people have a problem with Sbsia's imperfect defensive play, holy moly would they ever turn on Pedan as well......

I'm not one to be terribly hard on him as I like a number of aspects of his play, but it pays to be realistic about what he'll be able to bring if he does make the NHL and just how much that'll affect anything about this team.

not sure if I overpaid for Pedan but I gave Mallet and a 3rd round pick on my NHL 14 GM mode rather than what Benning gave which was a 5th. since I piled on dman injuries he's been a solid defenceman for me. but regards to team identity waiting on him i dont think they are. we have so many defencemen ahead of him in the depth chart and he'll only get his shot if an injury occurs

3 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I know I have, and I'm saying it doesn't matter who you compare him to - anyone playing outside the regular roster isn't going to have a significant impact on anything. But keep ignoring that because I mentioned McDavid.

Edler, Hutton, Sbisa and Tryamkin are ahead of him. Tanev plays the right side, opposite of Pedan. Stecher and Gudbranson are ahead of him there, even without Tanev. Larsen and Biega are arguable to be so, since they've at least shown they can be reasonable in regular minutes for injury coverage in the NHL. Maybe we lose Sbisa in the expansion draft and walk away from Larsen, but then Juolevi will be a year closer and on the left side again.

Pedan helps the Comets with regular minutes and a physical style. He didn't step up and earn a spot in camp this year like we hoped and cleared waivers as a result. But that's what I'm saying, he's not going to have the impact of someone like McDavid when he's at best an injury replacement, and apart from having a limited impact on a shift by shift basis, he won't have a larger overall impact that will change this team's identity.

You're the one describing him as follows, making it sound as if he's a blue chip defensive prospect:

Maybe it's a good time for you to go back and look at my original post you quoted to start this discussion. As I said above, I mentioned specifically that Pedan will not change this team's identity (in particular anything that could be wrong with it) to which you replied Pedan will arrive as a rotating 7th D-man and he will be impactful on our team identity.

Maybe, just maybe, when he plays he'll add to our identity - even if he'd only be a small percentage of what others will be bringing with more minutes and larger roles (Gudbranson for instance, and Tryamkin already having more of an effect, or even someone like Virtanen will have way more opportunity to do so). That might fit more with you taking about the "it takes a village" approach, but then I have no idea why you've billed him so highly and felt a need to try and correct me with my statement about him not changing out identity as is the premise of this thread.

... the Thread says:  Team Identity Waiting For Pedan.

Ive never said he will change it, or be it,. I've said he will add to it.

.. and I'm not representing him as a "blue chip" player.

..and yes, I did re-read 

I never said:    "he will be impactful on our team identity"

I did say:         "He is a physically impactive Dman, that contributes to the identity that our Dcore seems to be taking."

I will stay with my statement as quoted.

.. You on the other hand have said he will not change team Identity

( which is not what the thread title is about)

But that's a safe comment,  since there aren't too many players in the NHL who can change a teams identity.. and certainly none in the Canucks Organization.

if your looking for an agreement on that comment, sure.. moot point.

32 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

... the Thread says:  Team Identity Waiting For Pedan.

Ive never said he will change it, or be it,. I've said he will add to it.

.. and I'm not representing him as a "blue chip" player.

..and yes, I did re-read 

I never said:    "he will be impactful on our team identity"

I did say:         "He is a physically impactive Dman, that contributes to the identity that our Dcore seems to be taking."

I will stay with my statement as quoted.

.. You on the other hand have said he will not change team Identity

( which is not what the thread title is about)

But that's a safe comment,  since there aren't too many players in the NHL who can change a teams identity.. and certainly none in the Canucks Organization.

if your looking for an agreement on that comment, sure.. moot point.

And you replied to me about my comment then because?

The OP says we have no identity and that it's waiting for our 4th line to be reshaped and Pedan swapped from a defenceman to a winger to be added to it to fix that. My post saying he won't change the (supposedly non-existent) team identity has more to do with the OP than you talking about how he'll add to the identity we actually have as a defenceman who can bring a lot with a bunch of qualities.

I still don't know why you quoted me to begin with. If you want to talk about something other than what I've been discussing, feel free.

52 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

And you replied to me about my comment then because?

The OP says we have no identity and that it's waiting for our 4th line to be reshaped and Pedan swapped from a defenceman to a winger to be added to it to fix that. My post saying he won't change the (supposedly non-existent) team identity has more to do with the OP than you talking about how he'll add to the identity we actually have as a defenceman who can bring a lot with a bunch of qualities.

I still don't know why you quoted me to begin with. If you want to talk about something other than what I've been discussing, feel free.

Elvis,. My apologies..  I've been lured in by the tittle of the thread, and only observing from the second page on..

I'm a fan of Pedan, and hope to see him with the club late this season, or if some movement allows him to arrive earlier.

And here I spent this time trying to figure out why you thought he's be able to change the team's identity from that of a non-existent one, especially by being converted to a winger (or even as a 7th/8th D).

He may get there still, and I think he could become at least a replacement level player, but I don't have a lot of hope he'll bring a lot to the team beyond maybe a 3rd pairing guy without showing us some more soon.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

And here I spent this time trying to figure out why you thought he's be able to change the team's identity from that of a non-existent one, especially by being converted to a winger (or even as a 7th/8th D).

He may get there still, and I think he could become at least a replacement level player, but I don't have a lot of hope he'll bring a lot to the team beyond maybe a 3rd pairing guy without showing us some more soon.

I see him brazing in as a solid 7th D next season for sure. It seems the club is protecting him in Utica, and that is not a problem.  I think he is a better player than the snippets we have seen of him,  he plays heads up fearlessly, with a mean edge. This team will always have room for that.

Archived