The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[fan petition] please rebuild this team

Ted Lasso

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

This is a rebuild and fans in this town can't handle it.

The fans are confused because the GM hasn't come forward and said they're rebuilding. They entice the fans into believing the playoffs are a real strong possibility. So the fans tune in and show up to the rink. The fans buy tickets and popcorn and then they see what's really going on and start to wonder ...WTF??

Ok, so mainstream media (and Ray Ferraro) thinks that we need a full, tear it down, scorch the earth rebuild.  As opposed to the soft rebuild that we're getting.

This means, trading every veteran possible for young players and draft picks and starting over again from the ground up.  The counter argument from people who like what Benning is doing is that you need veterans to show the young guys what it takes to be a pro in the NHL and to shelter them from the hard minutes.  So, I took a look at the rosters of some of the teams that are well into their own rebuilds to see the ages of the players on their rosters.  What did I find?  That they have a certain number of veterans on these so called young teams to do just that.

Here's a list of players on rebuilt teams who were born in the 80's or earlier (27 years old).

Leafs:  Bozak 30, Komarov 29, Martin 27, Smith 28, van Riemsdyk 27, Hunwick 31, Polak 30

Oilers:  Hendricks 35, Letestu 31, Lucic 28, Maroon 28, Pouliot 30, Fayne 29, Ference 37, Gryba 28, Russell 29, Sekera 30, Talbot 29

Coyotes:  Doan 40, Hanzal 29, McGinn 28, Richardson 31, Vrbata 35, Goligoski 31, Schenn 27, Smith 34

Ironic that that the team with the longest list of veterans, has been the most successful so far this season.

So, if a team gets rid their veterans, they're going to have to replace them later if their young players are going to thrive.  Why not just keep them in the first place.  Everyone knows that if a GM actively wants to sell and asset, he's usually going to get less than market value.  Conversely, if a GM actively goes out to buy an asset, he usually has to over pay.  The GM who wins deals, lets them come to him.

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Ok, so mainstream media (and Ray Ferraro) thinks that we need a full, tear it down, scorch the earth rebuild.  As opposed to the soft rebuild that we're getting.

This means, trading every veteran possible for young players and draft picks and starting over again from the ground up.  The counter argument from people who like what Benning is doing is that you need veterans to show the young guys what it takes to be a pro in the NHL and to shelter them from the hard minutes.  So, I took a look at the rosters of some of the teams that are well into their own rebuilds to see the ages of the players on their rosters.  What did I find?  That they have a certain number of veterans on these so called young teams to do just that.

Here's a list of players on rebuilt teams who were born in the 80's or earlier (27 years old).

Leafs:  Bozak 30, Komarov 29, Martin 27, Smith 28, van Riemsdyk 27, Hunwick 31, Polak 30

Oilers:  Hendricks 35, Letestu 31, Lucic 28, Maroon 28, Pouliot 30, Fayne 29, Ference 37, Gryba 28, Russell 29, Sekera 30, Talbot 29

Coyotes:  Doan 40, Hanzal 29, McGinn 28, Richardson 31, Vrbata 35, Goligoski 31, Schenn 27, Smith 34

Ironic that that the team with the longest list of veterans, has been the most successful so far this season.

So, if a team gets rid their veterans, they're going to have to replace them later if their young players are going to thrive.  Why not just keep them in the first place.  Everyone knows that if a GM actively wants to sell and asset, he's usually going to get less than market value.  Conversely, if a GM actively goes out to buy an asset, he usually has to over pay.  The GM who wins deals, lets them come to him.

Ironic that the team with the most #1 over all draft picks is the most successful. Having McDavid doesn't hurt either

2 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

The fans are confused because the GM hasn't come forward and said they're rebuilding. They entice the fans into believing the playoffs are a real strong possibility. So the fans tune in and show up to the rink. The fans buy tickets and popcorn and then they see what's really going on and start to wonder ...WTF??

He doesn't come forward and call it a rebuild because he's a salesman/spokesman for the team and he has to toe the party line.

We've drafted top 10 the last 3 years in a row, gotten rid of vets with ntc's - it is a re-build just not the throw a stick of dynamite at it re-build that some want. It's gonna be another 3-5 years before we are a top 10 team again. Such is the nature of sports in the salary cap era.

The team needs a total rebuild, top, down.

Unfortunately, finishing dead last  is not the "quick" and assured method to get top line players any longer. Benning etal squandered the possibility of the last 5 "franchise prospects" almost guaranteeing additional years to be cup competitive.

Many people rant about the Edmonton Oiler ineptitude in drafting early and not improving, Vancouver's future could be worse, could be due to the new drafting rules. A saving grace is that some of the teams they have to compete against are getting older too and a very different coach style could help. BUT nobody wants to see a total defensive strategy, boring, boring, boring and not likely to attract fans if not successful. 

This franchise needs daring trades, many of which may look one sided, they will have to create cap room and then trade for bad contracts to get extra picks, they will have to package picks to move up and whatever else is needed.

It is not hopeless nor is it absolute that it will take years and years to improve, BUT this season or the next, the aging assets HAVE to be moved while they still have more value than a third or fourth liner.

This team doesn't need just one top line player, it needs more, but getting one is a start, trading for a draft pick isn't the only way, but trading for a player is much more certain. A draft pick, other than McDavid, Eichel, Mathews, Laine, Ekblad or even Landeskog isn't a sure thing and those types don't come along very often and the next two drafts look to be not very deep.

21 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

Two Drink Minimum buys popcorn?  Really?

Rebuild is just a word.  They don't have to say it for me.  There has been a massive turnover of players since Benning arrived.  That says rebuild to me.

The list of players remaining from before Benning was hired total 6 (Sedin, Sedin, Edler, Hansen, Tanev, Burrows), the other 17 are new.

Edit:  I just noticed, Benning has kept the top line and the top pair + Hansen from the team he inherited.  

2 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

He doesn't come forward and call it a rebuild because he's a salesman/spokesman for the team and he has to toe the party line.

We've drafted top 10 the last 3 years in a row, gotten rid of vets with ntc's - it is a re-build just not the throw a stick of dynamite at it re-build that some want. It's gonna be another 3-5 years before we are a top 10 team again. Such is the nature of sports in the salary cap era.

Deceiving your customers is never a good way to go. The Canucks don't have the right coach for a rebuild any how and I think most real fans can see it. Toeing the company line is usually and idiom that means to... " go along to get along". It means you're not being true to yourself and eventually you end up regretting and resenting what you sold out for. This franchise needs new ownership imho. Look forward and leave the past in the past.

Lets all just relax... This is us at our rebuild stage. If we had players that could fetch us good picks I'm sure we would have done more at the deadline and off season. Everyone just needs to tune out the white noise coming from all the ones who think we can still get 1st rounds from our has beens. We gotta ride out these contracts and just keep drafting our best available players and in 3 year or less depending on what kinda impact boeser has.. We will have a good team in the making. Stop pretending we arent rebuilding because thats just you falling into their statment of still being competitive and retooling blH blah... Thats just PR. We are in for another chapter of not watching games and when we do not being happy about what we see.. Pre west coast express it was hard to watch like now at least we slowly have good young players to be hopefull for. Just please stop telling yourselves we need to rebuild becUse thats exactly what we are doing... 

Ps typing with spaces between your points and requests dont make them more valid or true or important.

#we are rebuilding

#2020 cup run

22 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Exactly... This is a rebuild... How are people even thinking otherwise lmao.. These "we need to rebuild" threads are becoming taxing.. 

How about scorched earth rebuilders stop crying like little babies.  You don't own the team.  You're a fan. If you don't like the direction the team is going, don't watch or don't buy tickets.  This team hasn't won EVER....

Just like with Gillis and the many before them, I am willing to give Benning the benefit of the doubt for more than 2 seasons to see what he can do.  If after 4-5 years we aren't getting it done, then try someone new. 

Unlike some, I understand what he has been trying to do since taking over an old team with ZERO (except Bo) young prospects.

If  you think we are rebuilding, I respectfully disagree. 

We'll be in a rebuild when:

1. Management calls it a rebuild 

2. We start trading assets (age 25+) for futures...that hurt our chances now in favour of the next few years

16 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

Deceiving your customers is never a good way to go. The Canucks don't have the right coach for a rebuild any how and I think most real fans can see it. Toeing the company line is usually and idiom that means to... " go along to get along". It means you're not being true to yourself and eventually you end up regretting and resenting what you sold out for. This franchise needs new ownership imho. Look forward and leave the past in the past.

I will never advocate for an owner like McCaw, ever.

Having local, private ownership is the only to have an active team.

TO had a company own them for decades and that didn't work too well, until Rogers took over, Rogers has a vested interest in having TO teams to well and the difference is obvious. 

13 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Exactly... This is a rebuild... How are people even thinking otherwise lmao.. These "we need to rebuild" threads are becoming taxing.. 

Is it a rebuild by default though? The next wave of players coming through are going to take this franchise to the promised land?. This team has one foot in a rebuild and one foot in status quo. That's a poor way to go about it. It leaves them in purgatory. I don't believe this team can compete for a playoff spot this year or next and its increasingly obvious. Willie D will be gone next year and they'll be starting back at square one. That's fine by me but don't sell me on a fake rebuild or retool or whatever. I love what Babcock did in TO last year and how he was brutally honest. The fans know where they stand and that's ok.

Archived