The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steve Darling to run for the Liberals in Burnaby-Lougheed.

ShakyWalton

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I'm sure Hitler was a good typist.  So if I said, hey that Gurn really types as well as Hitler, you don't think there's a bit of intended offence there? You can't invoke a mass murderer in a discussion and not intend some personal harm, sorry, thats not being a good person or CDC member. 

I tried :(

Needless to say, the thread has now been Godwinned with the mention of Hitler....

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Actually Mr Assumption, I very well knew that.  It was based on the Socred/Alliance formation in to the BC Liberal party that lead to their taking vital seats in the mid 90's and then winning in 2001.  IN fact Willy Woodenshoes was about the only reason they didn't win more seats because so many of the candidates were still tied to him 

Might want to brush up on the word assumption

Then why did you make your earlier post? You're hilarious, you constantly get corrected and then you criticise others, when in reality it's you that makes the blunders. You make no sense.

Thread after thread you do this..

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Then why did you make your earlier post? You're hilarious, you constantly get corrected and then you criticise others, when in reality it's you that makes the blunders. You make no sense.

Thread after thread you do this..

At NO point in time did I claim the Bc Liberals were anything other than Liberal in name.  Neither did I say anything about their former party roots.

They are the BC Liberals.  Period.  They sit under a Liberal banner period.

That is unassailable.

At what point does that need correcting?  

12239503_975254742545435_571219027810560

5 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

I'm a Nazi now? Jesus get a grip. Man you state a political pov someone doesn't like and they call you a Nazi. That tells me a lot about you. 

And please do block me, you kind of suck at being a person if you can really say things like this about someone for having a different take on things than you. Grow up. I also happen to come from family that had to escape Poland, so you know, GFYS. 

Mister, if I thought you were a Nazi I would say so. I'd suggest easing up on the caffeine. I have no problem with you stating a political point of view, merely pointing out that you are repeating a lie( unions control class size ) in the hope it is accepted as truth, thus giving rise to the Goebbels reference.

16 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

I tried :(

Needless to say, the thread has now been Godwinned with the mention of Hitler....

Here's a final thought on this. By invoking this kind of comparison, people like Gurn are trying to intimidate and make themselves look "powerful" instead of using logic or  facts. I get that I have an extreme position, from a BC pov anyway, on not wanting teachers to have any controlling interest in class size (and yes having the right to strike over class size is a controlling interest as they can prevent kids from attending classes, thats pretty powerful, and the BCTF isn't accountable to the voters). I think a similar mistake, and better analogy would be with physicians and the number of beds in a hospital, if you let the BCMA control that we could never afford the number of buildings needed for that health system. You may not agree with that stance, but making a Nazi reference doesn't give you power over it either. It just shows how low you are willing to go. 

Making these kinds of comparisons is a tool for the weak minded, people that can't seem to get their point across other ways, and for people trying to intimidate or belittle other people in a conversation. Oh don't listen to him, he's like a Nazi. Thats very intentionally offensive and manipulative. Ben Carson gave it a try too to raise his profile, but clearly thats not going to get it done. This NY Times piece explains why this kind of analogy use is a very bad idea for extreme conservatives, and its a warning to the left as much as the right:

"Such rhetorical recklessness damages our political culture as well as conservatism, a philosophy that should be grounded in prudence, moderation and self-restraint. That doesn’t mean that conservatives should not use language that inspires people to act. But they should respect certain rhetorical boundaries. There are some places they shouldn’t go." (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/20/opinion/why-ben-carsons-nazi-analogies-matter.html?_r=0)

But maybe Gurn thinks using Ben Carson's tactics is a good idea. I don't. 

49 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Here's a final thought on this. By invoking this kind of comparison, people like Gurn are trying to intimidate and make themselves look "powerful" instead of using logic or  facts. I get that I have an extreme position, from a BC pov anyway, on not wanting teachers to have any controlling interest in class size (and yes having the right to strike over class size is a controlling interest as they can prevent kids from attending classes, thats pretty powerful, and the BCTF isn't accountable to the voters). I think a similar mistake, and better analogy would be with physicians and the number of beds in a hospital, if you let the BCMA control that we could never afford the number of buildings needed for that health system. You may not agree with that stance, but making a Nazi reference doesn't give you power over it either. It just shows how low you are willing to go. 

Making these kinds of comparisons is a tool for the weak minded, people that can't seem to get their point across other ways, and for people trying to intimidate or belittle other people in a conversation. Oh don't listen to him, he's like a Nazi. Thats very intentionally offensive and manipulative. Ben Carson gave it a try too to raise his profile, but clearly thats not going to get it done. This NY Times piece explains why this kind of analogy use is a very bad idea for extreme conservatives, and its a warning to the left as much as the right:

"Such rhetorical recklessness damages our political culture as well as conservatism, a philosophy that should be grounded in prudence, moderation and self-restraint. That doesn’t mean that conservatives should not use language that inspires people to act. But they should respect certain rhetorical boundaries. There are some places they shouldn’t go." (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/20/opinion/why-ben-carsons-nazi-analogies-matter.html?_r=0)

But maybe Gurn thinks using Ben Carson's tactics is a good idea. I don't. 

You know, this discussion was over and done with regarding the Goebbels quote. Why you persist in dragging it on and on further derailing the thread is beyond me. I tried to explain it to you, you chose to remain offended and not see that there was another side to the situation. Like Gurn said, if he had intended to call you a Nazi, he would have, plain out and in your face. He did not do so as it is not his way to debate that way. I'm sorry you took such offense but I assure you, it was not intended the way you took it. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. Have a great day..... I'm done as far as this particular discussion goes.

3 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

You know, this discussion was over and done with regarding the Goebbels quote. Why you persist in dragging it on and on further derailing the thread is beyond me. I tried to explain it to you, you chose to remain offended and not see that there was another side to the situation. Like Gurn said, if he had intended to call you a Nazi, he would have, plain out and in your face. He did not do so as it is not his way to debate that way. I'm sorry you took such offense but I assure you, it was not intended the way you took it. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. Have a great day..... I'm done as far as this particular discussion goes.

It needs to be said, that's why. If you're going to invoke this kind of thing then you need to understand what you're actually doing.

5 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

It needs to be said, that's why. If you're going to invoke this kind of thing then you need to understand what you're actually doing.

If you read stuff into a post that wasn't there, then  you need to understand what you're actually doing.

Tell you what, call in a moderator and get an official ruling. Actually don't bother as I will ask for a mod.

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

If you read stuff into a post that wasn't there, then  you need to understand what you're actually doing.

Tell you what, call in a moderator and get an official ruling. Actually don't bother as I will ask for a mod.

If you think its OK to compare someone's post to Nazi debating philosophy, yes, you really should get some external advice on how to act. I don't care what you think of me, but you should care about using that kind of analogy. At least have the guts to own it. You did intend it the way you wrote it, and to try to make it about my 'perception' is pretty wimpy.

6 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

If you think its OK to compare someone's post to Nazi debating philosophy, yes, you really should get some external advice on how to act. I don't care what you think of me, but you should care about using that kind of analogy. At least have the guts to own it. You did intend it the way you wrote it, and to try to make it about my 'perception' is pretty wimpy.

I enjoyed reading this...

Christy Clark was Education Minister in 2002 when her and Campbell decided they would use kids as pawns in their hatred for teachers .... and she was Premier when they doubled down on it again in 2014.... Clark needs to resign...

The media needs to get on board as they did pre-BC Liberals when they ran former Premiers like Bill Vander Zalm, Glen Clark, and Mike Harcourt out of office for a hell of a lot less..The media needs to stop making lemonade out of BC Liberal lemons...

Instead what we get from our media in BC is softball reporting and then are rewarded from the BC Liberals by offerin
g Journalists like Steve Darling, Jas Johal, and Pamela Martin MLA opportunities and cushy bureaucratic positions as a reward for that soft reporting..... Our politicians get rewarded with positions in the corporate world post politics for paving the road and it looks like our Journalists are getting those same rewards from the BC Liberals post media career, obviously as a reward for the pavement they laid down ......The media in BC continues to squeeze the BC Liberal lemons and it looks like if they help with the juice they get a nice glass of lemonade for a reward.

24 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Such a disgusting corrupt province. Sickening really..  Ashamed to admit i am born and raised in British Columbia  ( BC  - aka   Bring Cash  ) 

Nobody is making you stay. If BC is so bad, I'm sure there must be another province whose politics are much more to your liking. If you're choosing to stay, exactly what are YOU doing to improve things?  Are you running for office to try and bring about change from within? Or just standing outside bitching  and moaning into the wind.........and doing absolutely nothing to bring about positive change?

This quoted post and it's sentiments makes me ashamed to admit that people with this attitude are fellow BCers.

25 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I enjoyed reading this...

Christy Clark was Education Minister in 2002 when her and Campbell decided they would use kids as pawns in their hatred for teachers .... and she was Premier when they doubled down on it again in 2014.... Clark needs to resign...

The media needs to get on board as they did pre-BC Liberals when they ran former Premiers like Bill Vander Zalm, Glen Clark, and Mike Harcourt out of office for a hell of a lot less..The media needs to stop making lemonade out of BC Liberal lemons...

Instead what we get from our media in BC is softball reporting and then are rewarded from the BC Liberals by offerin
g Journalists like Steve Darling, Jas Johal, and Pamela Martin MLA opportunities and cushy bureaucratic positions as a reward for that soft reporting..... Our politicians get rewarded with positions in the corporate world post politics for paving the road and it looks like our Journalists are getting those same rewards from the BC Liberals post media career, obviously as a reward for the pavement they laid down ......The media in BC continues to squeeze the BC Liberal lemons and it looks like if they help with the juice they get a nice glass of lemonade for a reward.

There's corruption in every province. When I was living out east in Halifax I knew of a guy who had a house built for him for free because he gave a construction contract to the company, and this was work for a community college! Worked in Quebec for a while.... enough said. Saskatchewan, same thing, and no industry building either. 

Its everywhere man. The question for me is, which gov't will at least build the economy. 

9 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

Nobody is making you stay. If BC is so bad, I'm sure there must be another province whose politics are much more to your liking. If you're choosing to stay, exactly what are YOU doing to improve things?  Are you running for office to try and bring about change from within? Or just standing outside bitching  and moaning into the wind.........and doing absolutely nothing to bring about positive change?

This quoted post and it's sentiments makes me ashamed to admit that people with this attitude are fellow BCers.

Read your post before realizing you added nothing to the debate about BC politics.

0 out 10    - would not read again. 

30 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Read your post before realizing you added nothing to the debate about BC politics.

0 out 10    - would not read again. 

You were asked what YOU are doing to make this province better considering your views on BC politics That was completely on topic and to the point.  You bitch and moan but what are YOU doing to make it better? Well?

"Added nothing to the debate"..... because I said something you don't agree with or just don't want to answer the question?  Your post is nothing more than classic deflect, divert and duck the question tactics.

Now. if BC politics are so bad according to the content of your posts........... What Are YOU Doing To Improve The Situation?

6 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

You were asked what YOU are doing to make this province better considering your views on BC politics That was completely on topic and to the point.  You bitch and moan but what are YOU doing to make it better? Well?

Why do i need to justify to you how i spend my time in the community.....    What if i tell you i work with at risk youth / adults in the community and try  to get them life skills  / employment / health services....  Would that count enough for you ?  

Frankly, i don't think it is any of your business how i work / volunteer for my province.

This discussion is about how corrupt the BC Liberal Party is . How the BC Liberals take money from the middle class  / destroy the BC middle

class.

Vote BC Conservative Party  -     Make BC Great Again. 

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why do i need to justify to you how i spend my time in the community.....    What if i tell you i work with at risk youth / adults in the community and try  to get them life skills  / employment / health services....  Would that count enough for you ?  

Frankly, i don't think it is any of your business how i work / volunteer for my province.

This discussion is about how corrupt the BC Liberal Party is . How the BC Liberals take money from the middle class  / destroy the BC middle class.

You were asked what YOU are doing to effect change in the community/province in political circles as you have such vitriolic complaints about the system as it currently stands. If you're just pissing and moaning in the wind about it, you're part of the problem, not the solution. Put your money where your mouth is if you find it so bad....run for office, picket, protest....move somewhere more to your liking... You're bitching and moaning about those who ARE out there doing their best yet have no solutions and seemingly no motivation to get out there and do something about it.

Actually, the thread topic/discussion is about Steve Darling running for the Liberal party but I digress, apparently.

Archived