The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steve Darling to run for the Liberals in Burnaby-Lougheed.

ShakyWalton

21 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why would the good people of Kelowna vote for an MLA that does not even live in their community...  ?  Makes zero sense.....  

Just FYI King - this is the kind of thing that's been happening in high tech in BC under the Libs: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-tech-sector-growing-so-fast-its-hard-to-measure-size-of-industry/article32953219/

Thats the kind of thing the NDP has never been able to accomplish, in any province. 

On 11/20/2016 at 9:02 PM, Ryan Strome said:

You're speaking like you know exactly what happened in Kelowna...

Talk on Ashton...I have known him for years. I wouldn't vote for him however.

No..no I find it more likely you haven't.

I on the other hand actually have.  He's a sham of a politician.  Funny enough, I cover a lot of the BC Governments local events via my photography business.  Up to and including the protests outside of Clarks' offices and the BC Ministry of Housings announcements all over the valley, the ministry of healths upgrades to UBC and Kelowna, including Ashtons crowing about the hospital here in Penticton and the announced homeless shelters in Kelowna.

I also covered Clarks election in kelowna including her win and grand opening of her office in Westbank.  I covered her claims of purchasing a home in "the most desirable location in all of BC" which never materialized as well as her promises to be "available to my constituents here in the central okanagan valley who supported me"

Still have all of that on file, easily found; both photographs and voice recordings for the Okanagan Courier and Penticton herald as well as various minstries under the BC government.

Ashton is your typical BC Liberal.  He did nothing while mayor except screw up, he did nothing while an MLA except hide and the only thing that will keep him in power is the hospital, the massive retirement resort he allowed massive tax breaks for and the fact that the person in penticton who will be running against him; while incredibly qualified and far more logical a choice, is a current member of Pentictons council and thus tied to waterslides and skaha park.

You can make statements and claims about them, you can put words in my mouth and make statements that I never said.  but it all comes back to facts and proof.  The facts don't change and their record is proof.

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No..no I find it more likely you haven't.

I on the other hand actually have.  He's a sham of a politician.  Funny enough, I cover a lot of the BC Governments local events via my photography business.  Up to and including the protests outside of Clarks' offices and the BC Ministry of Housings announcements all over the valley, the ministry of healths upgrades to UBC and Kelowna, including Ashtons crowing about the hospital here in Penticton and the announced homeless shelters in Kelowna.

I also covered Clarks election in kelowna including her win and grand opening of her office in Westbank.  I covered her claims of purchasing a home in "the most desirable location in all of BC" which never materialized as well as her promises to be "available to my constituents here in the central okanagan valley who supported me"

Still have all of that on file, easily found; both photographs and voice recordings for the Okanagan Courier and Penticton herald as well as various minstries under the BC government.

Ashton is your typical BC Liberal.  He did nothing while mayor except screw up, he did nothing while an MLA except hide and the only thing that will keep him in power is the hospital, the massive retirement resort he allowed massive tax breaks for and the fact that the person in penticton who will be running against him; while incredibly qualified and far more logical a choice, is a current member of Pentictons council and thus tied to waterslides and skaha park.

You can make statements and claims about them, you can put words in my mouth and make statements that I never said.  but it all comes back to facts and proof.  The facts don't change and their record is proof.

What?? Again I have known him for years. And I said I wouldn't vote for him. I get it, you're a die hard ndp'er.

Btw, you have met everyone, seen it all, done it all, lived in 10 different countries. You also claim to be a canucks fan for 40 years...aren't you 36?

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

What?? Again I have known him for years. And I said I wouldn't vote for him. I get it, you're a die hard ndp'er.

Btw, you have met everyone, seen it all, done it all, lived in 10 different countries. You also claim to be a canucks fan for 40 years...aren't you 36?

I haven't met everyone...I am still waiting on you to come for brews with me at the mug but you keep saying no.  I promise it won't be like that and I will leave my roofies at home.  And no it is 8 countries.  And 36 is 40 for all intents and purposes.  My hairline is 47 if that helps

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I haven't met everyone...I am still waiting on you to come for brews with me at the mug but you keep saying no.  I promise it won't be like that and I will leave my roofies at home.  And no it is 8 countries.  And 36 is 40 for all intents and purposes.  My hairline is 47 if that helps

You have never once invited me actually...

Secondly you can stop with the internet tough guy garbage, it doesn't work on me. 

And ya when I'm back on day's off we can go for drinks, you wouldn't be the first ndp'er I have bought drinks for.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

You have never once invited me actually...

Secondly you can stop with the internet tough guy garbage, it doesn't work on me. 

And ya when I'm back on day's off we can go for drinks, you wouldn't be the first ndp'er I have bought drinks for.

Tough guy?  How is inviting you for drinks a tough guy act?

RS man you have got to stop reading every script like it's an attack.  None of it is.  I get it don't worry.  It's hard not to feel antagonized on here but that aint the case.  You and I back and forth but that's it.  The ONLY friction we've ever had is political but this isn't a tough guy act by saying let's go for drinks.  I will totally leave my roofies at home though.  You're safe I'm married now

And I did, like a year (more?) ago when you said you were local.  Said that forum crap is just crap and not to be taken seriously lets hit the mug.  You just took it the wrong way I think.

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Tough guy?  How is inviting you for drinks a tough guy act?

RS man you have got to stop reading every script like it's an attack.  None of it is.  I get it don't worry.  It's hard not to feel antagonized on here but that aint the case.  You and I back and forth but that's it.  The ONLY friction we've ever had is political but this isn't a tough guy act by saying let's go for drinks.  I will totally leave my roofies at home though.  You're safe I'm married now

And I did, like a year (more?) ago when you said you were local.  Said that forum crap is just crap and not to be taken seriously lets hit the mug.  You just took it the wrong way I think.

Apologies hip, I misunderstood the "it won't be like that" part.

12 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Apologies hip, I misunderstood the "it won't be like that" part.

LOl no worries.  I pride myself on being a bit creepy at times.  Digital communication (text type) is the best way to misunderstand someone

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

@Warhippy

What good would drinks be while discussing politics? We may as well add religion to the conversation..:lol:

Jeez if you're adding religion it's tequila and wild turkey 

Might as well wipe the whole hard drive so to speak

On 11/14/2016 at 3:42 PM, S'all Good Man said:

Yah Hippie doesn't read his own posts. He chucks insults like no one else and then its the 'who, me?' routine. Ah well. No wonder Axl left the band.

Wow, ITT: the biggest raging liberal in history who will barely let any other posters get a word in edge-wise.

I actually voted Liberal last election (and regret it), since it annoyed me everyone said the NDP was going to win and screw your vote, but also I thought they'd be a more centre-left choice vs. the NDP's more far-left vision. Boy was I wrong, these liberals are basically neo-cons pretending to be liberals.

They've done essentially nothing to regulate the absolutely ridiculous housing crisis in the lower mainland. California prices, non-Calfiornia wages. That's great the city of Vancouver finally stepped in with measures, but it just means cities not-named-Vancouver nearby will be getting all the foreign money / housing madness pouring in. I'd actually love to hear what they've done to help the average working person at all. It seems they just pander to big business, to hell with the environment and oh boy! Trickle down economics. It's all about growth and revenues guys! You'll totally get your cut eventually, we swear, just trust us and let us allow the big businesses to do what they want.

Won't be voting for them again, that's for sure.

7 hours ago, Moonshinefe said:

Wow, ITT: the biggest raging liberal in history who will barely let any other posters get a word in edge-wise.

I actually voted Liberal last election (and regret it), since it annoyed me everyone said the NDP was going to win and screw your vote, but also I thought they'd be a more centre-left choice vs. the NDP's more far-left vision. Boy was I wrong, these liberals are basically neo-cons pretending to be liberals.

They've done essentially nothing to regulate the absolutely ridiculous housing crisis in the lower mainland. California prices, non-Calfiornia wages. That's great the city of Vancouver finally stepped in with measures, but it just means cities not-named-Vancouver nearby will be getting all the foreign money / housing madness pouring in. I'd actually love to hear what they've done to help the average working person at all.

It seems they just pander to big business, to hell with the environment and oh boy! Trickle down economics. It's all about growth and revenues guys! You'll totally get your cut eventually, we swear, just trust us and let us allow the big businesses to do what they want.

Won't be voting for them again, that's for sure.

RE: the 'big business' part - thats actually far from the case. I posted this for @kingofsurrey- this is the kind of thing that's been happening in high tech in BC under the Libs: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-tech-sector-growing-so-fast-its-hard-to-measure-size-of-industry/article32953219/

So that mostly all small biz. A similar thing is also happening in small manufacturing in BC. 

And on 'big' business - so whats wrong with having large employers? When forestry was really booming in BC under the NDP they were just fine with big forestry companies.

The Lib's in BC certainly did let housing get away from them. I'm not sure what you could do about the market pricing, same thing is happening in Toronto. But the tax is a good idea. But don't kid yourself, the NDP didn't do anything on that front either. I used the example of Burnaby above - NDP mayor for decades now, and literally NO social housing. Nothing. All because Corrigan won't give incentives to "big" developers. So there's a lot to fix there on all sides. Municipal governments actually have the most power on this issue - they can determine the mix of incentives to get more affordable housing on the market and don't have to wait for the province or feds to step in. Seattle is doing some really neat things on this that any city can follow if the desire is there; http://murray.seattle.gov/housing/

I have voted Liberal in the past  but never again.

Watching the Liberals destroy  public education , healthcare and affordable housing for BC'ers.....  

Sure the Liberals have made Elite Private education basically free for the millionaires of our province but that really doesn't improve things for the disappearing BC Middle and working class.

We pay way too much tax in this province only to see the BC Liberals destroy the quality of the services we get.

Time for a new party to have run things.  Conservative, NDP or Green.  Any would be a huge improvement over the current Liberal Government in my opinion. 

We care about kids Clark says.  This is the 6th year in a row BC leads child poverty rates....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-poverty-youth-1.3865191

British Columbia's child poverty rate is higher than the national average, according to a new study from a coalition of advocacy groups.

According to the report released Thursday morning by First Call: B.C. Child and Youth Advocacy Coalition, the provincial child poverty rate — as of 2014 — was 19.8 per cent, which puts it higher than the national average for youth at 18.5 per cent.

The organization's 2016 B.C. Child Poverty Report Card also puts the overall poverty rate in B.C. at 20.1 per cent.

Adrienne Montani, the provincial coordinator for the coalition says income inequality is growing in B.C. and there are several factors to blame.  

She highlights the "failure to collect some revenue and failure to share the wealth that's being accumulated through wages with people and through robust social programs."

"We don't have a decent child tax benefit in B.C. We have a very stingy one compared to other provinces."

Rural and single-parent families most at risk

While the percentage of children in B.C. living in poverty has decreased slightly from the 20.4 per cent in last year's report, the percentage of children affected by poverty who live in single-parent families stayed the same, at 50.3 per cent. 

"B.C. has made no substantial progress in reducing this astounding rate of poverty for children in lone-parent families since 2006, and in fact it has trended upward since 2009," the report says. 

The report, which uses data from Statistics Canada's T1 Family File, also showed the large regional disparity in child poverty: while many areas in the Peace River region and Kootenays had rates below 20 per cent, the Central Coast Regional District had a 51.9 per cent child poverty rate, and the Alberni-Clayoquot, Skeena-Queen Charlotte and Mount Waddington districts were all over 30 per cent. 

The report defined the poverty line as $24,954 for a single parent with one child, $30,301 for either a couple with one child or a single parent with two children, and $35,648 for a couple with two children. 

I am in tune with what the people need says Clark....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-liberals-hire-new-photographer-to-document-christy-clark-1.3864508

The B.C. Liberals are hoping a new photographer will give British Columbians a chance to see a side of Christy Clark they haven't seen before.

But the NDP says it's just another example of Clark focusing on style over substance. 

The party has hired John Lehmann, a former Globe and Mail photographer and one of the most accomplished photojournalists in Canada to chronicle her through to at least the 2017 election.

"I feel like the Liberals have been looking for someone for awhile, and when I became available, they jumped all over the chance," said Lehmann.

High demand for photos on social media

The NDP has often painted Clark as 'premier photo-op.' 

The government and the premier's office combined already have three video journalists documenting Clark and her colleagues at work.

Christy Clark

Christy Clark is photographed by John Lehmann in Kelowna on Remembrance Day, 2016. (John Lehmann/BC Liberal Party)

The pictures and video are used on government websites and in official news releases and, unlike Lehmann, these photographers are paid for by the taxpayer. whereas Lehman's salary will be paid for by the party.

Lehmann has a resume that includes three awards for Canadian photojournalist of the year.

The long-time news photographer says he sees his job as being much larger than just cranking out photos that are posted to Clark or the B.C. Liberals' social media pages. He says he sees himself as a chronicler of history and a purveyor of information, rather than a tool used by Clark to promote her personal brand. 

"It can be quite timely if you have the right image out there quickly. People are getting their news and information and visuals from social media," said Lehmann.

"I am there for the moments the public doesn't get to see — that the media doesn't get to see. Those downtimes in between, getting out of the car. That is what I am excited to document. I get that access I didn't get before."

Trend growing of personal photographers

This may be the first time a B.C. politician has been followed by a still photographer of this caliber and cost, but the B.C. Liberals are far from the first political party to hire a former news photographer to take political pictures.

Pete Souza, Obama's photographer, was a long-time photojournalist for the Chicago Tribune.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has Adam Scotti.

trudeau/downie

This photo, of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau hugging Tragically Hip lead singer Gord Downie just before the Kingston show at the K-Rock Centre, was taken by Trudeau's official photographer Adam Scotti. News photographers were not allowed inside the venue. (Adam Scotti/PMO)

The PM's official photographer has captured headline moments that have been printed across the country and beyond from shaking hands at Vancouver's Pride Parade to hugging Tragically Hip front-man Gord Downie before his concert in Kingston, Ontario.

"It's a reaction or maybe a natural extension of how public life is captured and the access people have to public figures trough social media," said SFU communications professor Peter Chow-White. "Communicating the image of the head of state or politician has always been a competition as long as we have had pictures."

'No substance, all glitz'

NDP Leader John Horgan also gets photographed at events. When he is speaking on behalf of the party, the B.C. NDP will hire a freelance photographer occasionally. During legislative work, NDP staff members will take photos in addition to their normal responsibilities.

Clark by Lehmann

Premier Christy Clark is photographed while she gets ready at the Drishti Awards in Surrey on November 19, 2016. (John Lehmann/BC Liberal Party)

NDP MLA Selina Robinson is concerned the B.C. Liberals are focused more on image than they are on policy. 

"I think British Columbians will see through this. There's no substance. It's all glitz and glamour," she said.

"British Columbians want substance. They want something more than just a smile and a photograph that, as they say, speaks a thousand words. They want someone that can actually do something."

I wonder if  an elected Liberal  Steve Darling will  continue Liberal policy to take more money out of BC Public Education and donated it to the rich elite BC Private Schools . 

BC Public schools are being starved of funds  while the Elite Private Schools of BC  interview  applicants and don't accept kids with special needs.

Something is really sick in this province......

Archived