The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

wake up band wagoners

linden17

2 hours ago, TheOgRook said:

Or maybe like he's coached hockey a lot longer than the whole of CDC  combined

I was being completely literal ;) WD has improved his coaching by following the advice from diehard fans and trolls on this forum, lol.

Quick poll, which poster do you think is WD in disguise.... My money is on Apollo!  

EW

On 2016-11-14 at 2:44 AM, linden17 said:

its funny how so many of you follow the media that the canucks arent rebuilding. look at our line-up. Granlund, horvat, hutton, tryamkin, rodin, virtanen, baertschi, gaunce, stecher and even gudbranson . we have one of the youngest teams in the nhl but the media makes u think otherwise. if we dont win then we are a team lost in the mist, who needs to tank to rebuild. i got news for all of you..including the media. this team is rebuilding. this team also will probably go on another huge losing streak. its expected. what i dont understand is why the media plays it up like we should be doing better than what we achieve? I think people take it out of context when management says they want a winning atmosphere. they would like on any giving night their big guns to give them a chance to win.  which is very likely. that explains the signing of loui eriksson. some nights they got it. some nights not. but what they have on the table actually gives us a chance to win every night. thats a hell of a lot more than what Edmonton or toronto actually had before they lucked out on lifetime picks being mathews/  mcdavid. some nights we look our age ( young and old) some nights like tonight and agianst the rangers we looked competitive. thats what i think managment is seeing. both those huge wins our young guys stepped up. to me thats growing pains in the transition while our veterens led the way. expect to lose more than we win is all im saying during these next few years. but dont ignore that we are actually rebuilding already and doing it right.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams

If those stats are accurate, we are 16th in terms of average age and not one of the youngest teams. Also, you need to look at the depth and quality of our prospects. While Benning has improved the prospect pool, we have a long way to go to have a great prospect pool. I am excited by Juolevi, Demko and Boeser, but that's not enough. We really need a future #1 centre, which are harder to come by then wingers. Signing Erickson isn't a sign of a rebuilding team, whereas Toronto seemed to be serious about a rebuild and this will payoff down the road.

My worst Canucks nightmare is perpetually being just bad enough to miss the playoffs (or in and done) and just good enough to lose out on high draft picks; in other words, eternal mediocrity. For all his faults, Torts was right on in calling our core stale and suggesting the need to tear it down. This requires more draft picks, not trading ones we have.

12 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams

If those stats are accurate, we are 16th in terms of average age and not one of the youngest teams. Also, you need to look at the depth and quality of our prospects. While Benning has improved the prospect pool, we have a long way to go to have a great prospect pool. I am excited by Juolevi, Demko and Boeser, but that's not enough. We really need a future #1 centre, which are harder to come by then wingers. Signing Erickson isn't a sign of a rebuilding team, whereas Toronto seemed to be serious about a rebuild and this will payoff down the road.

My worst Canucks nightmare is perpetually being just bad enough to miss the playoffs (or in and done) and just good enough to lose out on high draft picks; in other words, eternal mediocrity. For all his faults, Torts was right on in calling our core stale and suggesting the need to tear it down. This requires more draft picks, not trading ones we have.

Aye Torts were right and then he put Hansen in the dog house and lost all credibility...

In a couple of years Burrows, Miller and Twins will likely be gone, and then we will be amongst the youngest...

4 hours ago, TheOgRook said:

Toronto fan?  That's some pretty cherry picked data.. How about you go back year for year where the teams finished for the last 10?  Funny you leave out our good years and start cherry picking data from after our finals loss.  Toronto has sucked for 20 years, Canucks have not.. Nothing is the same for theses two teams, get used to it.  

Another note.. People need to stop thinking that you can reset a rebuild every time you change the GMs. Rebuilds start when they start, sure judge the management teams based on what they have done but we aren't discussing the management we are talking about teams

Not a Toronto fan.

I see no value in comparing every year for the last 20 or 47 years either. 

People claim Toronto has sucked for 20 years and it is not true. In 99 when the Canucks finished 2nd last the Leafs finished 5th. 2000 they were 7th, 01 they were tied with Vancouver at 90 pts in 14-15th place.  So it is simply not true they have sucked for 20 years.  There is no point in comparing the Canucks of 09-12 because we were good then, very good. However if a retool was to take place it should have started in 2012.  Some of our lack of prospects are due to trades to push the Canucks over the top during 09-12. But some are not.

I am not here to defend Toronto because over all they have failed. The seasons I posted show they went from just out of the playoffs- to farther out- to bad- to worse- to last. That is not a progression I want to see the Canucks follow, but it is the direction I see them taking.

Another poster said JB couldn't trade Vrbata and Hamhius because they had NTCs, but Hamhius' contract was a leftover from the Gillis era while Vrbata was a Benning signing. Same problem but one was caused by Jim's predecessor while the other was caused by Benning himself. Meanwhile Toronto traded Daniel Winnik, DANIEL WINNICK for  Sill, Wolanin, Bjorkqvist, Grundstrom and Carrick . That is a lot of possible talent for a player no better than 2012 Burrows or Higgins.

On 11/14/2016 at 3:58 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

But they DID get those picks.  That's what happens when you finish last or near last and win the lottery.  Why would we even pretend that this didn't happen?  If we pretend McDavid doesn't exist, do we get to pretend that there is no such thing as Demko, Boeser and Juolevi?

But if you want to, then fine...  Edmonton still would have a better looking future, in my opinion.  They would have kept Taylor Hall, for one.  As much as I love the Sedins, there aren't many teams in the league that wouldn't trade both Sedins in 2016 for Taylor Hall, and that's setting aside all other young prospects of the Oilers.  The Sedins will get 45-65 points for a few more years maybe and then retire.  Is that really "the upper hand" for a rebuilding non-contender?

The pre-McDavid Oilers had a lot to figure out when it came to team mentality, but it seems that it was correctible based on current results.

Oilers finished 3rd last and won the lottery for McD. We finished 3rd last and got to pick 5th in a year where the top 4 were strong. Winnipeg won the draft to pick 2nd. There's a lot of hockey left to play and we'll win our share of games. Lou and Baer not going early has cost us but they will get it going. We're going to be battling with everyone else in our division.

1 minute ago, Wise Owl said:

Oilers finished 3rd last and won the lottery for McD. We finished 3rd last and got to pick 5th in a year where the top 4 were strong. Winnipeg won the draft to pick 2nd. There's a lot of hockey left to play and we'll win our share of games. Lou and Baer not going early has cost us but they will get it going. We're going to be battling with everyone else in our division.

I can't see us competing in our division when we have 3   third lines and a 4th line.....

Benning is building our club out from  Goal / Defense....     Just hasn't got around to the forwards yet....  We are not competing until we have 2 decent top lines...

Archived