The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Monday Nov 14th Practice Update

Ossi Vaananen

Tryamkin came to camp out of shape. They called him on it and sat him to see what he would do. He worked his ass off and got in shape. It was the right choice and is paying dividends.

Jake has NHL skills and processes the game well but has lacked the drive needed to be at this level. They want this kid at this level because the team needs what he can bring to the table.

They are trying to wake him up and get him on track.

He will eventually get sent back down if he does not wake up.

Some tuff love right now is not hurting this kid or his development. 

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

4C

3W

2W

2C

At this rate, he'll take Henrik's job by Christmas.

I'm just waiting to see him dressed as a goalie :lol: When they said they could play him up and down the line up they weren't kidding.

I forgot Rodin was even on the team. 

Nobody here is in the room seeing what Virtanen is doing.  Personally, I believe he was sent down to show not only himself, but the coaches just what he can do.  He had 2 games to wow everyone, and well....did he actually do that?  Maybe it humbled him a little bit, so that he could see he just didn't need more minutes to be a star, but that he has a long ways to go and has to start paying attention and working harder.  He probably went down with a bit of an attitude thinking he's hot *)*%, and saw that he wasn't.

2 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Looks to me like a power struggle going on between Owner(s), Management and Coach as to where they want Virtanen. 

End result is not good for the player or hockey club.

Personally, I think Jake is being used as a mule in Aquillini's world-wide drug cartel. Next he'll be sent "on loan" to a KHL club where he'll learn insurgency and intelligence techniques.

It's the only thing makes sense.  

1 hour ago, garthsbutcher said:

When Rodin and Hansen are ready please sit Gaunce ! I don't care about Corsi crap, the guy is not contributing. 

He's doing fine as a 4C.  Not sure who you'd rather dress in that spot but I don't have any complaints about him. especially given he needs NHL minutes.

7 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Well lost to many on here, is that he was being tested on the PK. That could open up a tonne of minutes, as i'm sure his speed would be useful in a PK role. 

I figured they'd sit him vs. the Rangers, don't change a winning line-up. I fully expect to see him return to the lineup by the weekend however. 

He could do PK in the AHL as well. He needs to play in all situations to become the best player that he can be.

The kid needs to play more, gain confidence, and come back to the Canucks to play an important role on this team. 

Burrows has looked good with Horvat and we've got guys that can fill the 4th line roles just as well as Virtanen. What is the rush in bringing him back up?

1 hour ago, Solinar said:

Nobody here is in the room seeing what Virtanen is doing.  Personally, I believe he was sent down to show not only himself, but the coaches just what he can do.  He had 2 games to wow everyone, and well....did he actually do that?  Maybe it humbled him a little bit, so that he could see he just didn't need more minutes to be a star, but that he has a long ways to go and has to start paying attention and working harder.  He probably went down with a bit of an attitude thinking he's hot *)*%, and saw that he wasn't.

That's been my view of his attitude since he walked in the place, especially after making the team instead of going back to Junior last year. He comes across as though he thinks he's better than he is. He definitely has the potential, but plays like he's not putting forth the effort. It seems like all the subtext to what's been said by management in the media is he needs to clean up his attitude first and his game second.

6 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

the idea of Dorsett on the 2nd line doesn't really wow me what so ever. but you have to do what ever you can to keep this team rolling. facing the Rangers we faced last week just steamrolled Alberta over the weekend and they'll be out there hungry. our team however will be even more hungrier! 

I look at it this way.  Dorsett is the closest thing to Hansen.  There's no offense but he does a lot of the same things.  He's reasonably fast, in hard on the fore check and puck battles.  That's why he's on the 2nd line if that's what you want to call it because Willie doesn't look at it that way.....he has said so time and again.  Besides the first line, it's a matter of trying to find effective combinations among the forward lines.  Which ever one goes better on any given night, gets more ice time.

Sedin Sedin Sutter

Eriksson Granlund Dorsett.....like the combination of Eriksson and Granlund.....Dorsett is there to flush out the puck.  No more

Baertschi Horvat Burrows

Gaunce Chaput Skille

This line up worked against Dallas in the 3rd period, we'll see how they go against the Rangers.

That's what I think Willie's rationale is anyways.  Virtanen will be back Thursday.  Probably for Skille because Burrows has responded well to the extra ice time.

4 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Tanev is 10 days away. So who comes out when he's back? Better not be Tryamkin.

It better be Sbisa. Taking Tryamkin out just does not make any sense whatsoever. But then, it's Willie we are talking about here... so it's going to be either Stecher or Tryamkin.

Ok forget all of the teaching the kid a lesson, sending him a message, making him earn his icetime, touchy feely nonsense. What does Skille bring to the lineup that Virtanen couldn't? Is WD hoping that Skille is going to push his way up the lineup and finally become the player that everyone knew he could be when he was drafted 7th overall in 2005? Another game in the press box isn't going to re-enforce his message any more than sending him to Utica could have. He might as well pull his pants down and spank his bare bottom, because that seems like the level of understanding he is showing when dealing with the kid.

9 hours ago, apollo said:

Hmmm... iono man he's taking frustrating penalties, not making tape to tape passes and I've noticed him just getting out hustled/battled for pucks... I'm not much of a corsi guy

Chaput I need to see more off but he hasn't been frustrating me so far. 

Dorsett, always been a fan. His only fault is that his agent out smarted Jimbo... he's been moved around too much and doesn't seem like he's built enough chemistry. Hopefully a line with him loui and markus can stick ... seems like a trio that could do some damage/ 

I think we really need a permanent pairing on the 4th line that can build some chemistry. Even Dors doesn't seem like he's got bounced up and down the line up too much. 

Long story short, we need better chemistry lol! 

:wacko:

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Ok forget all of the teaching the kid a lesson, sending him a message, making him earn his icetime, touchy feely nonsense. What does Skille bring to the lineup that Virtanen couldn't? Is WD hoping that Skille is going to push his way up the lineup and finally become the player that everyone knew he could be when he was drafted 7th overall in 2005? Another game in the press box isn't going to re-enforce his message any more than sending him to Utica could have. He might as well pull his pants down and spank his bare bottom, because that seems like the level of understanding he is showing when dealing with the kid.

Many of us fans preach hardwork and effort from our Canuck team. Every game Jack Skille has played for us this season I can see his commitment. I can't say the same about Virtanen.

44 minutes ago, agent007 said:

Many of us fans preach hardwork and effort from our Canuck team. Every game Jack Skille has played for us this season I can see his commitment. I can't say the same about Virtanen.

If effort equalled results, Dorsett would be a 50 goal scorer. JV was given a slap on the wrist and he responded exactly the way the coach wanted him to, yet he still sits in the pressbox. It's puzzling to me.

What's even more curious are Jake's comments about being shown video from his 1st game in Utica and from there realizing that he had to keep his feet moving in order to be effective on the ice. In his 2nd game he looked like a completely different player and was constantly moving his feet and as a result the puck came to him throughout the game. Surely Jake had to have been pulled aside by Canucks coaching and shown video of how his play looked lazy and what he needed to do to correct this right?

Archived