The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen Ceiling

doodle sack

The straight line power forward is a dying breed in the NHL. It seems that speed and ability to make plays with speed have trumped size. If you're big, you still gotta make plays. I can't even think of a player dominating the league with just his size and speed anymore. 

1 hour ago, CeeBee51 said:

Cam Neely...... one of the worst memories of being a Canuck fan the day I heard of the trade.  

So Benning will trade Virtanen and a 1st Rd pick for a #1 centre, who will not live up to expectations. Meanwhile, Jake becomes a premier 50 goal scorer power forward for his new team.

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

The straight line power forward is a dying breed in the NHL. It seems that speed and ability to make plays with speed have trumped size. If you're big, you still gotta make plays. I can't even think of a player dominating the league with just his size and speed anymore. 

Even if he doesn't make high-end plays at top speed, there's a whole lot more he brings to the game.  Aside from the physicality, he's also excellent at creating turnovers and retrieving loose pucks.  When he makes passes they are often very good (a bit reminiscent of Kassian), even rink-wide and through traffic.  For sure he's raw, but has a whole lot of talent and potential to work with.  Once he matures, settles in, and gains confidence, look out.

40 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Even if he doesn't make high-end plays at top speed, there's a whole lot more he brings to the game.  Aside from the physicality, he's also excellent at creating turnovers and retrieving loose pucks.  When he makes passes they are often very good (a bit reminiscent of Kassian), even rink-wide and through traffic.  For sure he's raw, but has a whole lot of talent and potential to work with.  Once he matures, settles in, and gains confidence, look out.

He needs to develop his offensive game. I'm not sure his position as it stands is the best way to go about that. I saw a lot of him in Jr and I remember he had a fantastic wrister. He needs to work on getting that off at game speed. 

Power forward maturation doesn't happen right away compared to a skilled forward. Look at Bertuzzi. Jake has the speed , strength and the will to be a #1 RW

He could easily pop 30 goals in his prime providing he has a good play making centre or LW to work with.

He is also a hockey clubs dream if he performs consistently. Look at all of the attention he's getting and he's not even close to bringing his best game. 

He's an emotional kid that needs the proper support system. I don't know if WD is that person to make this happen, but as they say " he's just another a cog in the wheel " 

Team first attitude Jake and you'll could go far!

6 hours ago, TheRick said:

So Benning will trade Virtanen and a 1st Rd pick for a #1 centre, who will not live up to expectations. Meanwhile, Jake becomes a premier 50 goal scorer power forward for his new team.

Was Benning playing on that team? You'd hope he learned from the experience.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I'd say that is a good point about no top speed. I haven't really seen him be able to get plays at a high gear.

Hopefully he's not lacking that gear with the puck. Darn Canadian hockey stressed no puck in skating drills for too long. Hopefully he missed out on that old practice.

10 hours ago, TheRick said:

Or we keep Virtanen who never lives up to expectations.

what makes you feel confident that Jake is a 50 goal scorer power forward.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Jake Virtanens ceiling will be exactly below Eichels floor as they'll live in the same condo once he's traded as part of a package for Kane because

Kane is nhl ready and this is a get it done league not a try league.

If this is a get it done league and not a try league - Then fire  both Benning and Wilie...

Archived