The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Canada limit Leaders to 8 years?

smokes

Should office be held for max of 8 years?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Majority or minority, 4 year set terms. Confidence votes are dumb.

In the US, they should be forced to live with Trump for a full 4 years.  If he F's things up, so be it. That's what you voted for.  

Confidence votes are not "dumb". It ensures proper dialog takes place before budgets, bills are passed and that the ideals of all Canadians are taken into account and considered. 

If anything, majority governments are "dumb" because they don't have to appease the opposition by rewriting or making concessions so that bills are fair and just, and make sense for everyone. Majority governments get to "have their cake and eat it too", ramming stupid bills through that only benefit their coffers and not the public, then they put some lipstick on it come election time or do something even more stupid so it just disappears, like the fresh water act, for example. 

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The reason for the term limit is due to FDR being popular and a Democrat. The Republicans didn't like him winning 4 terms. So after he died in office in 1945. In 1947 they limited the terms to two. What a surprise the guy that lost the election Thomas Dewey, supported the 22nd Amendment. 

I don't really see the point Federally. I sometimes wonder if provincially it might make sense. But I think I'd rather see a set election date and term, instead of the Premier or Prime Minister having a window to declare an election to help assist him or her to try to get re-elected. Say June 1st every 5 years? 

Totally agree, but maybe 4 years would be better than 5 years. But certainly fixed election dates.

37 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Majority or minority, 4 year set terms. Confidence votes are dumb.

In the US, they should be forced to live with Trump for a full 4 years.  If he F's things up, so be it. That's what you voted for.  

No they aren't!! Allowing a minority government to govern without a majority is dumb.

I am totally in favour of term limits in federal and provincial politics. A set day for elections is also an idea whose time has come.

Premier and Prime Minister are a public service, they are not not meant to be life-time jobs. Mandated opportunities for political change may be a healthy route to go. 

Politicians who are in power for many years actually believe they belong there and that their opinion is best for the province/nation. A purely false assumption.

This would actually be much more complicated than most might expect. Remember that the position of Prime Minisiter doesn't actually exist anywhere in our constitution. The PM is selected by the Queens Representative, the Governor General. They serve at the Queen's leisure. Everything about the PM is based on convention. The GG doesn't even have to select the leader of the party as the PM, but does so because it is tradition. 

There is no qualification to be PM. It would be hard to impose rules like term limits for a job that doesn't technically exist. To do so would likely require an amendment to the constitution...which as we know is no easy feat.

The only reason a PM can have a constitutional dictatorship is because the Senate is flawed. 

A party can just win a parliamentary majority by just winning Quebec and Ontario.... but if all the other provinces and territories given equal amount of seats and all voted for the opposition party, the ruling power of the PM can potentially be kept in check. 

If I can redesign Canada's political system.... have the Governor-General elected every 5 years.  General elections every 4 years.  Ridings be proportionate to population.  Senate be like 10 seats per province/territory.  Pretty much a mixture of France/USA/Canada/etc. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Not true. Chretien, Trudeau, Harper, King, just off the top of my head.

Harper served two terms, Chretien didn't complete his 3rd. Trudeau doesn't enter the equation, he only served one, so this 8 year rule doesn't apply.

in the states roughly every two terms they switch parties,  very similar trend in canada.  It doesn't seem to make a difference.

in a system that replaces presidents every 8 years and picks new leaders, they usually vote in the opposite party anyways,  the tend is very similar in Canada and one could argue with your logic that it's even more stable here.  So why change to worsen stability?

1 hour ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Two totally different types of republics, so you can't necessarily apply it one or the other. Truly, Canadians don't vote for the PM or Premier, the party itself does that.

Most Canadians think they are voting for PMs instead of the person in their riding.

this question when I first read it really irritated me. term limits is one question but Canada has terms of 5 years not 4.

I personally like it being open beyond 2 terms.  I don't know if limits are needed though. what is the record like 3 terms in a row if memory serves me right?

wasn't trudeau s father in twice or am I mistaking him with someone else. 

I could see term limits of 3 or 4 terms. 15 to 20 years but even then what's the point most political figures don't reach that stage til they are around 50 often over.   Justin trudeau is a bit of a rare spicimen for being relatively young.

Archived