The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Signs in Toronto Urge White People to Join ‘Alt-Right’

nucklehead

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/signs-in-toronto-urge-white-people-to-join-‘alt-right’/ar-AAki50r?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

Toronto city staff and police are investigating after signs targeting white people “sick of being blamed for all the world’s problems” and urging them to “join the alt-right” were spotted in the city on Monday.

Kevin Kerr, principal at Cardinal Léger Catholic School, said his family caregiver was walking his children to school through Stan Wadlow Park in East York on Monday morning when they came across the poster.

“Hey, white person,” the sign read. “Tired of political correctness? Wondering why only white countries have to become ‘multicultural’? Figured out that diversity only means ‘less white people’?”

The poster lists websites associated with the alt-right, a movement associated with promotion of white identity and white supremacy.

“I was absolutely floored,” Kerr said. He tweeted photo of the poster, saying he was “disgusted by racists empowered by (Donald Trump).”

The signs were quickly denounced on social media by many, while others questioned whether the poster was racist, in some cases citing free speech.

Ward 31 councilor Janet Davis was notified of the sign and said city staff would be removing the posters.

“This hate is unacceptable in our city,” Davis tweeted. “Staff are removing the posters immediately and investigating who is responsible.”

Nate Erskine-Smith, the member of parliament for Beaches-East York, also condemned the sign.

“We are better than this. Ignorant, unacceptable and #NotMyCanada,” he tweeted.

Toronto Police spokesperson Victor Kwong said police have received many reports about the signs and have taken them down.

4 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

They should just let those people meet up and march or something.... just so they will be exposed to the public and we can all point and laugh at them. 

They do, all the time

The black lives matter ones, the prop ??? ones in Arizona christ thier everywhere, open your eyes..........oh wait......I get it, you're saying a Caucaian person doing exactly the same thing is wrong, and it's wrong because..........they are Caucasian!??

HEY! YOU'RE A RACIST!!!!

I mean, I don't know what all the signs (EDIT, it appears one sign, just more lines on it...read the whole sign now, doesn't seem so bad.... Not saying it's true or accurate, but hardly "racist") said, but I don't really find any of these all that problematic... I think it's extremely fair to say that white people (this being more so in America though) get blamed for the problems of other races/nationalities. Nowadays, every police shooting is the fault of the white man oppressing the rights of the black man. Even in the case of the Milwaukee shooting, when the cop was black, it's still the white man's fault.

How are we as a society supposed to improve the conditions for the so-called "minorities", and have strong race relations, when whenever you try to address the problem, and have an honest conversation about the flaws in non-white communities you get called a racist. How can you have an honest and meaningful conversation when political correctness shields the stupid and ignorant people who just happen to be non-white from being criticized, as any criticism is then labelled as racism. I honestly find organizations like "Black Lives Matter" to be far more intolerant than the people they repudiate. The statement "Black Lives Matter" is very true and you'd never get any disagreement from me that they do matter, but the organization is a different story. All they do is protest against white people in inflammatory and aggressive ways. They are always shouting the loudest, and the more intolerant things at their protests. They just have political correctness on their side.

Maybe one day minorities in America will have a better situation, and we will all have strong race relations, but it won't come about through the current means of choice. Only when the ignorant amongst minorities are shouted down just like the ignorant amongst the white are shouted down, and when the standard of living rises for the poor regardless of skin colour in America, will we head in the right direction. I will say this though, white people won't provide help in masses to those who blame them for all their problems. You can't slap a person in the face and then demand their help, life just doesn't work that way.

They're meeting in Toronto,  one of the most multicultural cities in NA.  Probably a bunch of hipster doofuses thinking 'alt-right' is some kind of tech job fair.

Not like they're meeting in Alabama,  then I might be concerned ^_^.

For the sake of proving a point:

Hey, Black people,

Sick of being labelled a criminal?

Sick of being shot by the police?

Sick of not being hired for jobs?

Sick of not getting better education?

Sick of not getting what is promised to you by politicians?

Join Black Lives Matter.

How is this any different? And try to honestly tell me that the moral outrage would be close to comparable if this sign was posted in the same spot.

I have seen most people use racism against white people to gain control and get whites in trouble, I am sick of it as it is racist to call someone that or use if not the truth

i will not join anything but it has to stop

people from other countries are told to use it and to sue people and that is not joke and after coming here teach thei kids to do the same,what a joke

When people stop worrying about the coloring of their skin the better. As long as we keep trying to segregate ourself we will always have these problem. All sides are at fault.  I'm not a white Canadian. I'm just Canadian. You're not a black Canadian. Just Canadian. When people see us as just Canadians then we are seem more as equals. 

15 minutes ago, smokes said:

Here's an idea, lets get all the different colored people, split them up into thier own colors and have them segregate eachother in a MULTICULTURAL country. Why be in a multicultural country?

Because diversity of backgrounds gives diversity of opinions and diversity of worldviews. That all points towards greater innovation.

7 hours ago, Aircool said:

For the sake of proving a point:

Hey, Black people,

Sick of being labelled a criminal?

Sick of being shot by the police?

Sick of not being hired for jobs?

Sick of not getting better education?

Sick of not getting what is promised to you by politicians?

Join Black Lives Matter.

How is this any different? And try to honestly tell me that the moral outrage would be close to comparable if this sign was posted in the same spot.

I couldn't have said it any better.  You could include any gender, orientation etc in there as well and get the same result.  Special interest/Inclusivity only serves to exclude everyone else

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

When people stop worrying about the coloring of their skin the better. As long as we keep trying to segregate ourself we will always have these problem. All sides are at fault.  I'm not a white Canadian. I'm just Canadian. You're not a black Canadian. Just Canadian. When people see us as just Canadians then we are seem more as equals. 

Sadly that won't happen.  Special interest groups continue pushing that point.  They keep demanding to be included yet want special treatment.  

Look I know Jonny is a gay black man.  But he needs special rights and protection because he's a gay black man and we need to recognize his right to be a gay black man.

Instead of just accepting Jonny as a human being they keep pushing the label.

For lack of a better example, talk to anyone you know in a wheelchair.  Ask if they like being treated differently.  One of my best friends is in a wheelchair and she's pretty upfront about how it angers her to be singled out for special treatment.  Politically correct to a fault I guess?

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I couldn't have said it any better.  You could include any gender, orientation etc in there as well and get the same result.  Special interest/Inclusivity only serves to exclude everyone else

Sadly that won't happen.  Special interest groups continue pushing that point.  They keep demanding to be included yet want special treatment.  

Look I know Jonny is a gay black man.  But he needs special rights and protection because he's a gay black man and we need to recognize his right to be a gay black man.

Instead of just accepting Jonny as a human being they keep pushing the label.

For lack of a better example, talk to anyone you know in a wheelchair.  Ask if they like being treated differently.  One of my best friends is in a wheelchair and she's pretty upfront about how it angers her to be singled out for special treatment.  Politically correct to a fault I guess?

I agree it likely won't happen on a full level scale. that's why I enjoy sports (hockey). You look at the fans in the building. It's not segregated by black brown white guys girls gays. Everyone is mixed in and as long as you're wearing my teams jersey you're my friend. Everyone comes together for be part of that one common goal.  2010 olympics was awesome to be a part of. We were all just Canadians cheering for our team. 

I think politically correctness is a large at fault due to government involvement. They felt they needed to step in and make things more equal (and in some cases it's rightly so). But less govt involvement allows the people to adapt over time. I don't hire (insert blank) because I have a quota to fill. I hire (insert blank) because they are the most qualified. And if my goal is to be as effective as possible. I don't care what your gender race or religion is I just want the best employee possible. 

Archived